Click Track suggestions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am looking for some ideas on using a click track for our worship services.

Our leader is not the best when starting a song with the right BPM. We were rehearsing a song and I thought it was a little fast so I pulled out my phone and checked it. We were supposed to be at 108 BPM, we were playing it at 138 BPM.

I play bass and would be the one to institute using the click. We do about five to six songs a set with varying degrees of BPM and we would need to be able to change on the fly when we transition between songs really quickly. Typically we would end a song on say a large G chord, let it ring for a moment and then start the next song in the same key with a different BPM that would have to be set.

Any suggestions for someone whose two hands are pretty busy while playing?

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How about something like a Beat Buddy mini? It's overkill if you have a real drummer since it does more than metronome but will work great for this.. it'll go through the amp so it's loud enough for everyone to hear during practice. It's hands free once you dial in the time signature & tempo. It's got just about every time signature in it.

Or some kind of pedal with a 1/4" aux in that you can throw on the pedal board. Then you can pump the metronome through from an iphone or something, but that requires more use of hands.

uriah1 and 41144 like this.
  3. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Along similar lines as beninma ... if there is no drummer, I'd go for something like a Digitech SDRUM to do it. Simply store the "beats" sequentially in the memory ready for recall.

4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

You have access to a DAW such as Reaper? When I was involved with such things, the click came out of a DAW into the Hearback system, allowing each player to adjust to taste...

DAW also gives the ability to layer prerecorded material with the live stuff...so it can be a win-win affair

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The problem is, especially live it's very hard to keep onto a clik track. It must be in the monitors very loud, especially the drummer's monitor. We could stay with one at rehearsal for maybe 15 seconds at the most when we tried.
    What the world needs is a tiny strobe that clips on a drum rim for the drummer. So if he strays he can get back.

6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

This may be our next step using pre-recorded tracks to "fill" in with synth, strings and such.

We are using IEMs so everyone would have it in their ears and have access to adjust as they needed it. However we also have a talk back mic in their in ears as well, and last week I had to take off the guitar and tap guitar player on the shoulder because I was trying to give direction on the song. He turned and said, "oh, I can't hear you in my ears..." I sometimes just shake my head. And it is just not the guitarist, it happened the same rehearsal with a singer, who is supposed to be listening to me give song section directions...

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

OK, so everyone is using IEMs? OP, how did you get relegated to click track? I assume there is no drummer, and you are the sole rhythm section? Something like a Beat Buddy would be the best solution. Just not cheap.

Here's what I would do (and often do). Use Reaper or some other DAW to make drum tracks, or in this case a click track. Make it for the proper song length, with an appropriate count/lead in. Export it as a WAV. Put in on dropbox on my phone. Take the phone output into the mixer. Start each song from the phone.

EDIT: And yes, use the tracks as a foundation for tracks for recording later. Or, better yet, if you have made recordings, use the drum tracks for live performance. I do this... more than I care to admit.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Our rhythm section has a metronome app that clicks and flashes the tempo. Can’t remember name of it but suspect any would do.

A couple of moments to set a different tempo while a note rings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.