Click - Click - Click

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Anyone else ever feel like in those "quiet interludes" when you need to click on (or off) a stompbox or two, the "click" just seems to be the loudest thing on the stage? And everyone in the room had to have heard it?

I'm not even talking about electronic pop, just the mechanical switch noise. I recently added a Soul Food, and it's switch is LOUD. It does have an electronic "pop" but I swear the actual click is ten times louder.

2. islander

islander Tele-Meister

With the system I am currently using, it switches out my drives for me. I just leave them on and my system is nearly silent. There are a bunch of switchers out there now that you can program to create different pedal arrangements and can store presets. It would be another piece of gear to buy though. The system I use does all my amp and OD switching, placing them before the preamp and then handles my digital effects, placing them in the preamp section. There are simpler ones out there, but it is a way to get away from the loud switching on stage.

3. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

MrBoson,

You use a compressor in your chain? I switch my Skreddy Screwdriver and my Distortion on and off more than any other pedals on my board. I used to run all of my OD and distortion effects before my compressor because it allows me to change their distortion character with my guitar volume. I found that switching them on and off, however, was in-tolerably loud because the compressor would boost the "click". I moved them so they are post compressor now, and it helped some. Didn't make the click disappear, but it is better. Don't know your order, but I deal with the same annoyance.

Islander,

Which switching system are you using? I almost pulled the trigger on a Musicom lab MkII on craigslist for a good price. I don't have room on my board for it though. Are you running multiple amps in a worship setting? I would love to run a two amp rig, but our sound guys can't mix one amp, let alone two, so I've kinda given up on that.

4. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

mrboson, indeed, the mechanical clicks are the loudest thing on stage during the quiet interludes. I'm usually self-conscious about it, too.

IME, the worst offender is actually my best sounding pedal. The Empress VMSD. When I'm setting a tap tempo, no way to be discrete. CLICK X4!

One reason I've been favoring Maxon 9-Series and Boss pedals, particularly DD-7 with silent external tap.

I really should consider a loop/switch solution, but lately I've been preferring less effects pedals.
    Concentrating on what I can do with just the amp and guitar controls.

5. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Still with a TC electronic G-system. It's more than I need in some ways, but when I factor how much the indivisible pedals where that I was looking at, and the switching capabilities of it, it made a lot of sense. That and I snagged one for $800. Currently I am a single amp rig,but in the past, I have run dual amps at times, but that was when I was doing a lot more and leading in larger venues/ conferences, touring etc. In the future I am thinking about it again. But you have to have a sound person who is an artist and understands what is going on and is down with the concept for sure.
    The G-system is great as I no longer have to have my pedals at the front even. One ethernet cable connects the controller to the brain. My amp, pedals and brain are connected with short cables and can go anywhere. Great for festival scenarios. I highly recommend any of the switchers out there. Especially with the preset features. Ends the pedal dance and ultimately helps with line levels as they remove pedals from the signal chain. I currently have 4 pedals all with loud buttons which are all silenced now.

6. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Glad to hear I am not alone.

Capn, yeah I did at one time run my compressor after my dirt, but now the dirt is after. I actually don't have too much trouble with electronic pops. They are slight, and very manageable (again, the Soul Food being noted for being noisy).

I listened to a recent recording, and I thought I could hear a few mechanical clicks at spots where I knew I was stepping on a pedal. That mechanical sound being picked up by a nearby mic.

I really do want to add a switcher at some point, and not just to minimize switch noise. This last Sunday, the pedal dance really came to a head, and I nearly tripped all over myself. Our version of At The Cross (Love Ran Read) has a really big ending crescendo that at the very end just fades away, and I've got these big, thick sustaining power chords that I let hang (in the delays and verb) and slowly decay. Then when it is nearly quiet, I'm supposed to switch off my Rat and SF, switch off one delay, tap tempo the delay for the next song and play the intro lick for From the Inside Out. And I'm pretty clumsy.

I am pretty sure people heard the SF click off. I'm glad my TCE Nova Repeater tap tempo is silent!

7. islander

islander Tele-Meister

I've looked into having a switcher lots over the years, depending on my setup. With the resurgence of pedals these days, they seem to be popping up everywhere. I've opened for a few guys who use them these days. Used to be just the big boys.
    Back to the loud switching. Let's face it, it's the "true bypass" group that really needs them as I see it. You have to have a positive removal of the circuit. Hence the louder switching. It's funny as one of the father's of effects doesn't believe in it at all.
    It's a good read.
    http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
    And he would know a lot more than I.
    Getting back to the OP and his comment on using a Soul Food. I recently picked on up and have it in my chain... For now... I'd be shocked that if you experimented a bit, you couldn't just roll your volume knob and get the same result as turning such a light drive off. I mean as I see it, it is truly designed to push the front end of an amp with more output. So rather than switch an effect off, simply roll your volume pot.
    Now, if it was a Rat, well, you r definitely turning it off.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I just wait until there is some sound before I do the pedal-board-two-step. If I'm playing at all, the clicks are just part of the instrument (and being quiet enough with E-Guitar that the clicks are an issue is ridiculous...).

Just roll down the volume and reset your switches when you get a chance. Once you go to a switching system, you may as well get a multi-FX unit or two and call it a day.

-tINY

9. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

This was my main issue with my EHX Small Clone hence decided to sell it. I can't stand the noisy mechanical switch during the quite interludes!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.