1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Click All The Squares With A......AARRRGGHHHH!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

¡Bueno!™

Who came up with this scheme to click blurry dubious photos for cars, buses, crosswalks, traffic lights...

NOW it's like 5 or 6 in a row and they reload! One I just did had the the most low res photos...all pixely. It took like 10 times as there must have been a car way back there......

I have to go get my glasses to complete most of them...

Oh well.... My biggest challenge of the day..so far....but I just woke up so....

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure I've ever failed one. Is it possible to fail?
    I'm starting to think that just the action of selecting a few boxes is enough.

And you're right - dubious!

The last few of those I've done had at least two ambiguous squares each, at least. I find myself in an existential crisis: "what is a crosswalk, anyway? How should I define 'crosswalk'? Should I give the machine the answer I think it wants, or be my own man and answer it how I think it should be answered? I'm gonna answer it my way. If these people want my business, they'll make sure their software respects my truth....." And so on. :D

3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

At least you are not a Bot. Think how depressing it is for them.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Within the last few days there has been a change to the Captcha programming, or a change to one of my ad blockers, and now Captcha will never verify me via my Firefox browser. It just keeps asking and asking. I'll have to troubleshoot.

5. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge Tele-Meister

I've seen only a couple where you just tick the "I'm not a robot", and it takes you for your word that you're not, and you're in.
    Next time I see a robot at a computer, gunna ask it if it tells the truth on the "I'm not" question.

There's always one traffic light viewed from the back side, in the shade of a tree or something. And yes some really grainy pics.

P-Nutz and Texicaster like this.
  6. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

This is literally what goes through my mind every time I have to do one of these. Comforting and humorous to know I'm not the only one!

I also get puzzled when after completing one picture quiz, I immediately get another one. Did I fail the first one and so they are sending another? Or was there going to be two no matter what? Wait did I ace the first one or not.... some feedback would help me "learn" how to answer correctly in the future.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

' click on all the images that have train'

Then, plane> school bus> dog>cat...

I have to put reading glasses on just to get through this BS- now it's even used replying to CL ads!

I wish I could respond with:
    ' click on F*** You!!'

stxrus likes this.
  8. Texicaster

Yea!

What's our grade?! We should be informed of our score so we can do better next time!

I find myself putting on magnifiers trying to see if that little speck is a car...and then I have to do over anyways...so I never know if it was a car.....

They could just do random calculus problem...... that would be easier...

ukepicker and logans_tele like this.
  9. Texicaster

I have found that a string of expletives can get you through phone q's quicker.

I cuss out them robots something fierce and get to an agent quicker it seems...

It's kinda cool because you can get out all your aggression on them and they don't care!...Yet!

Hey_you and logans_tele like this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

It was bad enough trying to figure out the wavy letters/numbers and is that upper or lower case

I’ve has a very few that if you click “I am not a robot” it lets you in

JL_LI, Chiogtr4x and logans_tele like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I immediately leave the site and take my business elsewhere. I find picture boxes to be intrusive and disrespectful. The type in the blurry and distorted letters and numbers entry portals are worse. Upper or lower case? I or 1?

logans_tele likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This security procedure is turning us into robots! Ironic

13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

Okay, put your tin foil hats on people. These click the box captias are used to test artificial intelligence. They use our real answers against the computers to see what needs to be reprogrammed. o_O

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Crosswalks?, fire hydrants? What is this Septic[1]-centric nonsense. Imagine the outcry if the pictures were Brit based. Click on the Pelican crossing. Click on the banger, and there were sausages, old Lada cars and a saveloy. Identify the chavs.
    It's bad enough the pictures are potato-cam images to begin with, then to add insult to injury, they're rendered as 160x160px, which on a 1480x960 screen means they're tiny and more often than not resemble a fungal infection on jaundiced skin to my eyes. The letters and numbers were bad enough, but the 'Identify the ... ' type deserve a new circle creating on the descent to hell.

[1] Septic = American. Septic tank - Yank

aging_rocker, Texicaster and Alamo like this.
  15. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

They should just have an option: "I swear, I'm not a robot"

16. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Wow. I hadn't heard that before. Flattering.

17. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I bet if you just click on "Yep, I'm a Robot" they'd let you right in.

18. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

You're actually not that far off the mark, at least in one case. There was a guy who tried to turn a reCaptcha-like service into free labor for him. Clever idea, in a "wish I'd thought of it but I'm pissed that somebody else did" kind of way. If anybody ever saw a reCaptcha/bot check thing that had what looked like a one word picture or pictures of old book pages, where you were asked to correct the spelling of the word, that was his company.

The free labor side of it was that those were from scans of old, out-of-print books that his company was trying to transcribe digitally, and these pics were areas where the print was not 100% recognizable by the software. So hundreds of users would be shown the scanned word, asked to correct the spelling of the word, and the most common answer would be submitted into the digital transcription. You always had to do two or three of them, but one was almost always the same word--that was the only one that was used to verify a real person was viewing the page. The others were just to avoid having to pay somebody to proofread the scan output.

Allan Allan likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have no idea what you are talking about.

20. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hate when you're told to click on the squares with a car, and there's one square with just a tiny smidgen of the far right rear bumper corner. I end up second guessing myself: "that's just a pic of a tiny piece of a car... It's not REALLY a car all by itself... Do I really need to click?"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.