Clear and articulate Humbuckers under huge amounts of distortion?.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TeleAndSG, Jul 31, 2017.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Just curious if anyone is actually using low gain, low inductance pickups for modern hard rock/metal. I agree that most amps have enough gain that you really don't need mid-high output pickups, but you (or at least I) don't hear of many artists playing high gain music using those types of pickups.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here. I'm honestly curious as it's something I've considered trying myself, but decent pickups aren't so cheap that I've been willing to pull the trigger on a pickup that's not typically associated with the type of music I play.

telemnemonics and Golem like this.
  2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I sent on my 3 Lester's Paul's low Impedance pickups, 57's and Burst busters 1&2. My effects take care of Distortion.
    I have guitars with High imput pickups and louder but not as clear.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  3. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I suppose they enhance certain frequencies that work for metal

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I use all of my guitars for metal, including my MIA Standard Tele and my MIM Standard Strat - both only equipped with single coils. Since I went Fender, most humbucker-equipped guitars just sound too muddy for me. My Lone Star Strat has a Pearly Gates + in the bridge. It's a good metal bridge pickup - articulation in the midst of chaos. I prefer my distortion to come from one source, either the amp or my Rat. I don't want distortion from my pickups clouding that up.

5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I know nothing about pickups, especially buckers, but talking about amps and gain, it seems like a clean/dirty multi-amp setup might help get the sound you are looking for if you want clean and distorted tones at once.

I might have misunderstood the question though... :lol:

TeleAndSG likes this.
  6. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

You have a very valid point about the higher output pickups being used more commonly by modern heavy bands, but there's still a lot of guys using low wind, paf-inspired pickups. Personally I tend to prefer the tone they get as well. Tends to be less mushy and more, well, articulate.

TeleAndSG and viccortes285 like this.
  7. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

8. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1529.JPG
    Thanks for your suggestions. I finally bought the DiMarzio PAF Pro for the bridge position. I found a new one for 60 bucks and that's a very good price for a brand new DiMarzio HB. In theory it should work well with a Basswood Body - Maple/Rosewood neck guitar like this. This humbucker was designed for Steve Vai's Ibanez JEM guitar (whith the same tone woods), high gain amps and effect laden signal path. For the neck position I will order either a HB from hell, a EJ Custom neck or a Seymour Duncan Full Shred neck.

Attached Files:

telemnemonics and Dismalhead like this.
  9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

High output pups started in 1972 when Larry DiMarzio launched his Super Distortion HB. But back then you didn't have so many hi gain amps like you have today. It was designed to drive 1972 amps harder.

savofenno likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm actually starting to hear a lot more Fender type guitars in metal these days.

savofenno, TeleAndSG and Dismalhead like this.
  11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Fender guitars are well made, sound great and are just plain cool, even for metal :)

3-Chord-Genius and savofenno like this.
  12. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is AC/DC metal? Because one of those dudes is/was using TV Jones classics.

13. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

It was considered metal in the early eighties, when Motörhead was the heaviest band in the scene. Now that we have all this Cookie Monster subgeneres of Black and Death Metal, it is considered hard rock, but if you ask me, it's very heavy. Angus Young plays lead and rhythm guitars with an SG through a dirty Plexi. His brother Malcolm played the Gretsch through a "cleanish" JTM 45, and was as important as Angus in defining their sound. Their cousin Steve is filling Malcolm's shoes now and he's doing exactly what Malcolm did.

Golem, viccortes285 and savofenno like this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

In the 80's, the old school players had a "men don't play pointy guitars" mentality. But when women like Lita Ford played them, they did so with as much boob showing as possible and those same guys were drooling over themselves while disregarding her technical skill..... so if you were a guy who played a pointy guitar you were not a man, but if you were a woman who played one you were a sex object and guys wouldn't care about your actual skill.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Uhm, never thought of that. The two guys from Scorpions played Explorers and Flying V's, which were the first pointy guitars ever launched. K.K. Downing from Judas Priest also played a Flying V. So did Kirk Hammett and James Helfield in the early Metallica days. Kerry King from Slayer has played pointy B.C. Rich instruments since day one. All are terrific guitar players. King in particular stands out as the most recognizable extreme metal shredder (imo). Pointy gutars are challenging, especially when you play sitting down. Who had that prejudice against pointy guitars?.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    telemnemonics likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

If I remember correctly from the old Guitar Player magazines, it was mostly.... telecaster players.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

It's a pretty cool sound, single-coil guitars through a high-gain amp.

Golem and TeleAndSG like this.
  18. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

You bet!. Play one through a Mesa Rectifier and you will melt faces!.

Golem and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  19. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I definitely fall into the category that you can play metal with single coils, Filtertrons, PAFs, and any other pickup that retains clarity at higher gain. Really my only issue with single coils is the noise. Hence why I use Kinmans.

3-Chord-Genius and viccortes285 like this.
  20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer heavy tones with single coils. My dual coil pickups sound to thick and fat for that metal chord definition. That 'bite' and 'twang' translates really well, through a good amp with a lot of distortion. IMO, the 'twang' on a heavy metal tone makes it sound heavier and more aggressive than a humbucker.

Humbuckers were only really needed for their noise floor, and back before there were pedals, yeah, they'd push the cranked marshalls harder. Now we have preamp circuits that will distort more than those amps could ever dream of, thus no need for high output pickups as the preamp can generate tons of distortion without a huge signal from the pickups.

viccortes285 and TeleAndSG like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.