1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cleaning paint off of aluminum grille strips (older SS Peavey content)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mexicanyella, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I have a late 80s Peavey Special 150 and some former owner painted the grille strips black. The grille cloth is in good shape, so I'm wondering how best to remove that paint without damaging the cloth. Not sure if any paint stripper compounds would be advisable or not. Also not sure if something like a Scotchbrite pad would score and swirl-mark the aluminum beneath. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how best to go about this?

Also, the spiky Peavey logo has a goldish tint to it. Every other spiky Peavey logo I've seen was silver; was there a gold-logo phase at some point, or is this an owner "mod" too?

Thanks!

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

you might try a Q-tip moistened with acetone. Moistened - not saturated, or it might drip all over the place.

3. mexicanyella

Thank you; as it happens, I have both items on hand. I will try it and report back.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I don't recall ever seeing a gold-tone "pointy" logo on a Special (although I've never owned one, so...), or on a Bandit, Studio Pro or Envoy (all of which I have owned, TransTube and pre-TransTube). So my guess is your gold-tone logo was "modded" (painted) by the previous owner. However, the early (90s?) line of Peavey Classic amps did have gold-tone pointy logos. So perhaps that previous owner replaced a broken or missing logo with one from a Classic series amp.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

There were a few years where Peavey had gold logos. I had a Triumph amp w gold logo.

The aluminum trim may be scuffed up that might be why they painted it.
    Acetone evaporates very quickly. You can mix some rubbing alcohol with acetone and try wiping the psint off w some rags. If that doesn't work may to to use paint stripper.

Also some later USA Peavey amls had plastic not aluminum trim.

6. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

In order to protect the grill cloth it would be better to remove the trims. Not very hard to do if the whole grill assembly is removable for a front loaded speaker. They are stapled to the side of grill's frame.

Be careful with acetone, it melts some plastic. Grillcloth fiber is usually synthetic ( plastic ).

I'm not 100% sure but I think gold logo was used on acoustic guitar amps.

7. Ringo

Acetone won’t damage grill cloth, but it’s not a bad idea to take the side trim off to strip it.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I don't suggest solvents or stripper --- the grillcloth is likely made with plastic and acetone will melt it. Most modern grillcloth has some plastic sections running through it. Abrasives - even 3m pads - will scratch the aluminum.

press duct tape onto the painted portion - keep it off the grillcloth - and yank it off. Most types of paint will pull right off. If not it's going to be difficult to do without removing the cloth and using stripper.

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Take them off, give them a light surface sanding and give them a couple of coats of aluminum spray paint. Like someone said,.they may be plastic and acetone will eat away at some plastic.

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Pretty hard to do that without painting the grillcloth.

11. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

You missed the first 3 words..."take them off". When you remove the baffle, the grill strips are attached to the edge of it either by staples or screws. Remove the strips, paint them and re-apply them. It's probably what the previous owner did

12. mexicanyella

Lots to think about here, and I appreciate all the suggestions. As it happens, I haven't had time to try the Q-tip/acetone idea yet, but if I do I will mask the hell out of the grille cloth just to be safe. If it seems to work, I'll look into unstapling the strips.

Although the aluminum silver paint idea might have popped me right out of the "restore the stock cosmetics" paradigm. What OTHER colors could I paint them...? Hmmm.

13. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Paint them gold to match the gold logo! Then you'll really have a "Special" amp!
    If you do decide to use acetone on them, make sure that they are actually aluminum and not plastic. If they are plastic, you can seriously destroy them as acetone can react with certain plastics. I have used acetone to weld two cracked pieces of plastic together as it melts the plastic.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  14. Ringo

I use acetone and other solvents in my work all the time, I have cleaned spots on grillcloth with it, and with laquer thinner, and suffered no damage.
    Acetoneevaporates so fast unless you were to submerge the grillcloth in acetone I don't see how it could "melt" it.

Acetone will damage some plastic, but not all plastics, it's not the ideal thing to remove paint though.
    If someone used spray paint on the grill cloth acetone probably won't remove it. It would be faster and easier to just replace it.

I had a Peavey amp not long ago where the side trim pieces were plastic, all faded out. I had to replace the grill cloth so while I had them off I sanded them lightly and sprayed them silver.

As mentioned about the gold Peavey logo, I had an older Peavey Triumph with gold logo and trim, the logos were used on the acoustic amps, and l on some of the Peavey Classic amps too!

gold peavey logo.jpg

15. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

Or you can remove the aluminum strips altogether, along with removing the pointy logo that so dates the amp, and give it a fresh, almost contemporary look. Here is my 86 Backstage Plus. The strips are stapled on with very long staples, by the way, but in my amp at least, it only took removing a couple of screws on each side and disconnecting the speaker to get the baffle out. The baffle just sits in a rabbet at the bottom of the cabinet.

IMG_20161002_104317654.jpg

Ringo likes this.
  16. Ringo

That is much cleaner looking.
    If you went one more step and changed out the colored Peavey knobs that would also make a big difference.
    Those are cool amps. My buddy has a Backstage 50 that he got new. He always gets a good sound through it, he uses it for practice and even small gigs.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I gig my Backstage Plus loud and proud with aluminum strips and pointy logo!

Still, I do like the look without it. I'll have to give this some thought. I wouldn't feel bad modding an amp I paid $20.00 for.

18. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted

If you're happy, no reason to change it. I got mine for free when the guy threw it into the deal when I bought his 95 MIM Strat Squier Series for $100!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Zip Strip is actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Trying to get paint off a Marshall head a few years ago I found it didn't hurt the tolex. But did eat the plastic parts.
    Unfortunately the thing had been painted twice and whatever the first coat was just didn't clean up very well. If it had been a real vintage piece I would've spent the time to get it that way but it's a mid 90's so I just recovered it and called it a day.

20. Ringo

I've run into issues with painted cabinets , amp trim pieces. and even a chassis one time on a Backstage. I was able to clean off all the paint on that with some lacquer thinner but it depends really on what kind of paint was used.
    Some of the rattlecan stuff is really hard to impossible to get off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.