Cleaning corrosion from metal without damaging Tweed

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tvas22, Jun 20, 2019.

1. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

Cheers, I might give a clear coat a go. Will the breakdown of the plastic not affect the clear coat too?

I’m not convinced that the tuners and pot knobs are made of the same plastic - the tuners are Klusons so I think they’ll have been made elsewhere? The thumb screws and pot knobs make a different sort of sound when tapping on them, and don’t yet have any sort of stink.

I dusted the case with shake and vac and some extra baking soda, and it seems to have done the trick on the case.

I tried the magic eraser to no avail - ended up using tin foil then a gentle clean with a damp q tip. I then put a tiny bit of car wax on to protect it. Overall I’m happy with it - still looks plenty old and tarnished, but my hands no longer get covered in blue copper when opening. I’m sure they’ll be some that don’t like it, but it wasn’t a valuable thing and I’d like to get another lifetime of use out of it. Nice to see the Eagle Lock Company stamp coming through a little too.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Attached Files:

20strings, King Fan and Wally like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Perfect. I think this might just get the Antiques Roadshow seal of approval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tvas22 likes this.
  3. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

on the stubborn rust spots, use that Qtip and daub some 50/50 water and white vinegar on it, let sit for a while, then scrub with a small wire brush,

vinegar eats rust

tvas22 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.