1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean vs. Dirty tones in demos...is it just me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 24, 2020.

What do you listen for in a demo vid?

1. Keep it clean

77.1%
  2. Throw in some dirt

22.9%
  1. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I'd say I want to hear everything; Clean, "Edge of Breakup", Bluesy/Rocky/Crunchy, and Flat-out Smokin'. Many times in my youth I went to the music store to demo amps, and tried all the "classics" that I was told were cool. All too often "Flat-out Smokin'" was more like "not quite, but almost entirely, unlike Angus Young". I like an amp if it'll Metal without pedals, but the Clean needs to have its own character, not just the "default before you kick the red switch".

These days I can dig all the flavors from clean to extreme, and everything in-between, but fer Pete's sake, tell me if I need a pedal or not to make it zoom. Music store guy: "Well, you want a lower-gain amp so you retain more of the tone when you push it with an Overdrive pedal".
    No I don't.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well sure, but when listening to an artists work, say some familiar piece of music like REM's End of the World, or Red House off Hendrix in the West, we don't hear those tunes and comment "that's a great Twin Reverb sound cut".

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    pippoman likes this.
  3. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

For me, I need to know which pickups and what speaker are being used in the demo, and how it was recorded. (Tell me about the Transducers!) Otherwise I don't get enough information for it to be useful.

4. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You’re right and I agree, but I was referring to a demo, maybe by someone attempting to sell a guitar, and playing the demo with a backing track and using a lot of distortion. I would have absolutely no clue what the actual guitar sounded like. I’d prefer the player ditch the backing tracks and give me a taste of just the guitar played through a clean amp, switching between bridge, middle and neck pickup and gradually adding a bit of overdrive just to see what those P90s, humbuckers or other single coils could accomplish. Those demoes where the players saturate their sound tells me nothing, and I’ve seen a lot of that on YouTube. Totally a waste of time. Same goes for amps. What can it do clean? I can always add my own dirt, although I do like some of the demo to include the amps overdriven sounds. However, If all I hear is crunch and saturated sounds, it makes me wonder what’s being hidden underneath, so to speak. The amp could have a blown speaker for all I know.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.