1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean vs. Dirty tones in demos...is it just me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 24, 2020.

What do you listen for in a demo vid?

1. Keep it clean

76.5%
  2. Throw in some dirt

23.5%
  1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

You might be. What’s the guitar and what pickups does it have? “PAF” style pickups can vary in quality and tone, like anything.

2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I prefer a clean tone, but I like some grittier tones as well. It's maybe a 60/40-ratio. But it's a ratheer mild crunch instead of full throttle gain.
    I do hate it, when people test anything for about a minute and then dial in a fully distorted sound and noodle along for the rest of the video. That's not testing, that's jerking off.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

So from now on we'll call you "The Dirty Dane." :twisted:

And judging just by this modest thread alone, most of your fellow-TDPRIers care about clean tone. That's clear from the comments posted, and from the fact that the poll results have been running three to one for "Keep it clean."

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Thats quite allright Larry., its all in good fun.......People can do what they want with their sound AND time , LOL.....
    Im happy , the drummer just confirmed we are getting together tomorrow......after a looooooong time !

LGOberean likes this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

And , honestly , there are so many clean tones out there , as mentioned further back.....
    I promise to only play dirty toanz tomorrow !!

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The guitar is a Logan Custom Challenger, designed and built by your fellow Wisconsinite Bob Logan.

I don't actually remember what specific pickups it has in it. Unlike my Logan Custom teles, which were made according to my preferences/specifications, the Challenger was an acquisition made years after Bob built the guitar. I really enjoy playing it (I like the neck and the look), and I've gigged with it. I'm just not in love with the pickups.

I occasionally toy with the idea of swapping out the pickups, but I'm not sure what PAFs I'd put in their place, so that's kind of held me back. I've also toyed with the idea of going with TV Jones Classics, since they're reputed to have a single coil quality to them.

7. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I'm with Viking. I don't think that I've ever tried the clean channel on my amp.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it’s really hard to find good clean sound demos. Everybody seems to only care about cranked tones or OD and distortion capabilities. I don’t need any of that crap. If they do hit on some clean tones, it’s almost like an afterthought and they don’t seem to take any time to really dial in a nice sound. It’s just like “here, see. It does clean too, but who cares?”.

Personally I only buy amps based on their clean tones. If I can’t get a really sweet clean tone, I don’t want it. If it does good breakup too that is definitely a bonus. But my priority is a great clean sound. Everything else is gravy.

Ringo and DOC DYA like this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Ah yeah, Bob’s great, I’ve been to his place and owned one of his guitars before. Good stuff.

I guess it just depends if you really want a humbucker sound or not. If you don’t, I’d recommend a set of Fralin Big Singles, I’ve had those in a humbucker guitar before, nice and clear. Doesn’t sound like a specific kind of single coil, kind of their own thing, but a unique good tone.

Otherwise you may actually like Lollar Imperials. They’re not muddy at all, I just didn’t find them raw enough for my tastes, a little too polite as I said. Very smooth sounding, but clear and defined. Otherwise I’d recommend Wolfetone’s offerings all day, he makes my favorite PAF style.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

As usual, Jakedog hits the spot!
    A lot of demos on Youtube aren't of much use... and I only speak of amp demos! If an amp has one channel, I want to ear that clean first and then cranked (and if possible with different guitars, say Tele, Strat, Paul). No pedals, no effects. With a two channel amp, I want to ear the differences between the channels. But I'm afraid most guitar players posting demos on Youtube just want to show the few little tricks they know how to play...

Jakedog likes this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I listen for a Good Song.
    The dirt and clean stuff comes much later.

12. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Clean tones are a must, and what bothers me is when they drench the demo with reverb and delay too, a touch would be ok, but for me it's hard to really get the basic clean tone with a lot of reverb delay and sometimes even chorus!

If you are looking for gain tones the demos that do that are fine, but I agree that many demos don't dwell enough on the clean or edge of breakup tones.

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The why matters because you are making the demo for a reason.

So stay on task and show us. I'd like to hear it. Play it the way you usually do. If you normally use pedals, go ahead and use them. You have a guitar and amp you've gotten to know extremely well, so showcase the best it can do.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Song demo or gear demo?

I agree it’s moronic to demo a delay or modulation pedal into a Boss metal zone.
    Lots of that an yoo toob but that’s usually a sophomoric at best demo anyhow.

Plenty of great useful gear demos are dirty but I no longer need help learning about a basic clean guitar sound.
    In fact I think for me there’s no way to communicate how a clean amp would sound connected to my hands and guitar because my touch and the way I pick to get fat warm tones from a single bridge pickup is just too individual.

How an amp or a pedal distorts is actually a bit more likely to come through on a demo video, but not by a wide margin.

Also I guess pedals that make dirt are cheap enough to take a shot at based on YouTube.
    A big clean amp though?
    I’m not likely to buy based on a YouTube sound.

I will buy an amp based on the circuit though, if the price is good.
    I can get a better idea of how an amp sounds from knowing the circuit and transformers than by hearing some player strumming chicken pickin or shredding.

So I guess I’m on the whole other side.
    Except yeah, lotta really stupid demos out there!

15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

If I'm listening to a demo, it had better give me a clear idea of what the guitar sounds like clean. That clean, completely untouched, sound determines so much about the guitars capabilities.
    No matter how much you plan to dirty up your sound, you have to rely on the guitar's basic charecter to get to where you want to go.
    Plus, a demo that's done with heavy distortion can be hiding any number of sonic flaws that you may not want to deal with.

16. telemnemonics

I consider a great clean sound essential even from amps known for great dirt, but I just really can’t hear the clean capabilities of an amp by listening to a stereo music player. Not even close for hearing the good of an amp.

I can often hear the BAD though, like every Vox MV50 demo has raspy indistinct bass. But I can make an amp that sounds one way appear to sound a whole other way, and unless the demo player plays just like me the amp won’t sound like me playing it.
    Likewise I can make a guitar sound how I sound, and have handed my plugged in guitar to another player and they sounded like cats scratching their way out of galvanized trash cans.

Really, does anybody hear the sound of an amp on youtube?
    Even guitars, I can’t hear them on YouTube with player, amp, mic, processing and stereo music playback.

pippoman likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

How about demos of a guitar almost entirely in the neck pickup, with a little bit of bridge sound that makes it clear that the player either only plays the neck pickup or only plays twangy on the bridge pickup.

Just my pet peeves I guess!

18. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

I can totally relate to that! Different distortion pedals, cranked high gain amps, or other dirty devices don’t give me what I’m wanting to hear on a guitar demo, even though I like a little dirt and even some heavier overdrive in my playing. I quickly exit a guitar demo where the player starts out with overdrive or saturation. If I wanna know what a pedal sounds like, that’s a different story.

19. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

The same could be said about listening to a song on the radio or other media. It’s not going to replicate exactly what was played in the studio. With headphones at least you can get a pretty good idea, especially if the guitarist is using a clean setting on a clean amp. Like you, I prefer to hear it without a backing track.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

12 years

There was a reso discussion page called IGS forum (international guitar seminars) and while that was winding down and I was selling my old Nationals, I just gravitated to the forum dedicated to my favorite guitar .

I literally just found out last year or the year before that Noam P founded it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.