1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean vs. Dirty tones in demos...is it just me?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 24, 2020.

What do you listen for in a demo vid?

1. Keep it clean

76.5%
  2. Throw in some dirt

23.5%
  1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Tones not naturally produced by the amp or by the guitar are useless to me. I wanna know what they sound like without add-ons. What's the point otherwise? Imo anywho

drmordo and 41144 like this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Bill, your comment about 'verb and other effects tending to "homogenize" the way things sound was helpful to me. Possibly a bit painful, but helpful.

I like reverb in general. Even on the amp in question, the Pathfinder 15R, while the reverb is what I would call weak (due to the smallness of the pan, IMO), I still use it before using a pedal. I just crank it to like 2 o'clock or something. I also really like the amp's tremolo. I usually have it set to like 9 o'clock for speed and 10-11 o'clock for depth. To play with a completely dry signal, I might have to practice for a couple of days before publishing on my channel.

Maybe I'll run through each pickup selection option completely dry, and then at the end of the video briefly play it like I like to hear it myself, kind of following the train of thought @mexicanyella and @Boreas shared above (posts # 14 and 18).

Oh, and point taken about Gregor Hilden. I really enjoy watching him play and listening to him. I like his tone, but you're right; every guitar sounds the same through his rig.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Demos come in many varieties
    IMO most modeler demos are mostly higher gain wankfests.
    I have watch demos of high gain amps.
    Most folks demo cleaner sounds albeit mostly chording and proceed to dial in varying degrees of dirt.
    I usually like the Peach Guitars and nStuff amp demos. Danish Pete does demos with clean and dirty tones.
    I play mostly cleaner and edge of breakup amp setting so I want to hear both.

trancedental and Digital Larry like this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

If you are showcasing an amp or guitar then I want to hear it as is. Guitar, cable, amp. Period
    If you are doing a pedal then that’s a different world.

drmordo and LGOberean like this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I want it CLEAN.
    After a point anything sounds THE SAME with distortion no matter what guitar or amp you use.

LGOberean and brookdalebill like this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

There’s value in both, provided the dirt is pretty light.

It’s important for me to hear how pickups sound with some dirt, it’s the determining factor in how I judge PAF types actually. For instance, Lollar Imperials sound beautiful clean, but waaaay too polite for my tastes dirty. So I’ve found I like other PAF types better by how they sounded overdriven.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Different people can have different use of the same amp: some want to play mostly clean, others intend to push it to overdrive all of the time, while others want to run pedals in front of it, etc.

A demo that is useful to one, will be useless to another and vice versa.
    An efficient demo would be one that would demonstrate all (or at least many) of these scenarios.

Problem is, a demo also reflects the style and habits of the one who’s making it.
    I, for instance, play clean 100% of the time, and with no pedals nowadays. Ask me to demo a vox ac30 and I won’t be really able to focus well on the dirty side of it.

My conclusion are:
    - The best demos are the ones that are done by several players on the same video;
    - A demo video shall never be able to replace the real test of the actual amp by the one who’s interested in buying it.

8. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Real way is you & your guitar..

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you’re doing a real amp demo of a tube amp and you’re trying to appeal to the widest audience I would say a really comprehensive review should do all the following:

• straight in clean sounds with single coils
    • Straight in clean sounds with humbuckers
    • Dirty sounds with both, show how the amp responds to both at different volumes on the amp and how the guitar volumes behave
    • Show a dirt pedal that works well with the amp and one that doesn’t and talk about why (amp eq vs pedal eq)
    • If the amp has an FX loop demo a pedal in front of the amp and then in the FX loop
    • If the amp has multiple channels demo each of them
    • If the amp has built in reverb, tremolo, etc.. demo those
    • If the amp has power options demo each power level and show how the tone changes if it does
    • Take some dB readings during the demo

Yah, most videos do not do all this and do not do it well.

I don’t even have a humbucker equipped guitar so I couldn’t do it.

Zipslack likes this.
  10. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

What always cracks me up is when the guy starts off with "And here's my clean tone". Ummmmm, that's your clean tone!?! That's about as raunchy a tone as I ever aim for. Then he kicks in the OD/Distortion aaaaaannnnndddd I'm out. Bye bye...

trancedental and LGOberean like this.
  11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I like a little of both.

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Demos I find generally useless:

Demos of an effect pedal where the guy has one or more other pedals in line with it, so you can't tell what the pedal being demoed sounds like?

Demos where the guy spends most of the time talking about the pedal and very little time playing through it.

Demos where the guy twiddles the knobs constantly to show you how extreme the control settings are, but doesn't come up with any good sounding knob settings.

Demos where the guy plays through an amp, recorded from across the room through the same mic he's talking through.

Demos where the guy compares two or more pedals (or amps) but doesn't play the same source through them (such as a looper), and doesn't even attempt to get similar sounds out of them, so you have no idea what he's comparing.

High gain wankerfest demos in general.

There's more, but these are ones I stop watching immediately.

13. LGOberean

Interesting observation, and one I'm not sure I would have come to on my own. I have only one guitar with humbuckers, and they're PAF style. And I don't care for them when I try to go from pretty to gritty. They get too muddy for my liking. I've wondered if it's just proof that I'm hopelessly a single coil guy.

14. LGOberean

A number of comments have focused on demos of an amp. Of course, I'm talking about demo'ing a tele here, so an amp is involved. But as I've already pointed out, for my purposes, the focus is on the tele, not the amp.

The tele is my Logan Custom Firecaster II (on the right in my avatar pic), which has a chambered body built with construction grade old growth Longleaf Pine top & back veneers, a set of DiMarzio Twang King pickups and a 4-way switch.

The amp will be one of my Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, which is a single channel amp with a Boost switch. It has reverb and tremolo on it, and the rear panel has a headphone out, an extension out and line out capabilities. I won't be trying to showcase all of the amp's features, although the amp's use in the demo might be interesting or useful to some. It's about the tele.

And again, I'm not trying to sell anything. You would have to offer me a ridiculous amount of money to part with one of my Vox Pathfinders amps, and it would take obscenely ridiculous amounts of money to even tempt me to sell any one of my five Logan Custom teles, let alone this one that was made from lumber salvaged from my 84 year old house after a fire in 2010.

I'm making this demo video the same way I do all of my videos on my YouTube channel: Lo Fi, as in just an iPhone set up across the room from me. (So @memorex I guess my whole YT channel will be useless to you.)

And I have neither lofty goals nor delusions of grandeur about my channel. I'm not trying to achieve any kind of status of mega numbers of subscribers. It's just for me, primarily, secondarily for family and friends, and after that just for the off-chance that someone else might find them interesting.

All that said, I still want to make my demos the best that I can make them, given my limitations of recording equipment and playing abilities. So I look for input from people that can help me, which in this case means my TDPRI brethren.

15. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Clean for me. It's how I play and is what I like to hear in a demo. I love to hear the beautiful, subtle tone qualities that a guitar can produce.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't mind both. But I would prefer both unless it's obviously a pedal video.

You don't have to be a Larry Carlton. But, out of tune is the real deal breaker.:mad:

There's no excuse for out of tune in the age of cheap tuners.:D

17. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This. Happens in more than 50% of dirt pedal demos it seems.

darkwaters likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I feel the same way about any other external effects. I've heard demos with "room reverb" added in post-production, or demos where they won't turn off the delay or chorus pedal (for an amp or guitar demo).

LGOberean likes this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Who the H... cares about clean tone anyway ?
    I sure dont....
    And you really have wishes/cravings from the people who posted something you listen to for free ??
    How about all of YOU post something on a free-to-use site where we can all discuss it afterwards ?
    LOL...

20. LGOberean

"You don't have to be a Larry Carlton." Good news for me. The closest I get to being Larry Carlton is sharing his given name. Aside from that...:oops:

And point taken about playing in tune. I actually worry about that sometimes, because my hearing is decreasing while my tinnitus is increasing. I try to stay in tune. I'll tune to the tuner function in my BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal, then double-check it with a headstock tuner for good measure.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.