1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean playing - I just can't seem to crack that egg

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johmica, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

After playing all my life as a hobbyist for the most part and now retired from working, I sought to improve my playing.

I’ve been working on cross picking, hybrid picking, etc as well as major and minor pentatonic blues scales, arpeggios and staccato patterns.

Getting your left and right hands to cooperate is a real linchpin to being articulate. And yes, there are peaks and valleys along the way, but progress will come with the effort.

I may spend many days picking the patterns on an acoustic guitar and then move over to electric. The acoustic is less forgiving IMHO, and the results for me is big, not to mention strengthening your fretting hand.

Like any endeavor, you get out of it what you put into it.

If you are serious, you will improve. Good pickin’.

johmica likes this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

What cleans up my playing the best is bass and drums.

johmica likes this.
  3. jchinkley

jchinkley TDPRI Member

Something that helped me when playing mandolin as a main instrument was doing multiple pick strokes on the same note. Mostly to work on tremolo but I started doing it on fiddle tune lines as well. It slows down the left hand but speeds up the right hand. I particularly like doing triplet on the right hand for each note on the left hand. It helps with pick direction control for sure. But also gives you time to think a bit about the next note you are fretting.

teletimetx and johmica like this.
  4. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

Yep, I've found that going back to basics has helped me after 30 years of playing. I've been practising basic chords and scales to tidy up my sloppiness. Another thing I've found that helps me- set your amp to a horrible, thin sound that you really don't like and try to play chords and scales so that they do sound good. It motivates you to not have to hear that bad tone!

5. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I'm entirely self taught in middle age using Youtube and the Rocksmith tutor/game.
    Rocksmith is a fine practice assistant but it requires patience and there's a lot of tricks to getting the most out of it... won't go into that here though.

But to second what others have said here the thing that gave me a leap forward was buying the boring Rocksmith song pack for scales and exercises. I had put it off for so long but it came up in a sale. The suites of exercises come in varying levels of difficulty and each gets progressively faster. For me the improvement to my playing was immediately apparent. Now I make sure I start any play session with at least one run through of scales or arpeggios.

I also like to take whatever I learn online away from the screen and practice elsewhere from memory on acoustic. The first time I tried learning guitar I quit in my teens, probably because the faff of plugging in and switching on the amp and wearing headphones so's not to broadcast how crap I sounded to the whole household, got in the way of me just picking it up whenever I got the urge. Having a parlour acoustic tucked beside the sofa means I can just snatch it up and play on a whim - Wish I'd invested in an acoustic first time round; I might have stuck at it better!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    P Thought and johmica like this.
  6. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was a sloppy player until I found myself in a country band. I’m taking lessons on-line. I plug my looper into one channel and my guitar into the other and work on hitting the notes over and over and over. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.