1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean playing - I just can't seem to crack that egg

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johmica, Jan 29, 2021.

1. NGS Guitars

NGS Guitars TDPRI Member

Hey man - yr not going to be able to copy any piece 100 clean without losing you. Losing soul and being clean is a poor trade off. - if yr dropping notes out of chords then play 3 finger rock chords and focus on those tighter sounds. If you hit a note and want it clearer then play it again as part of the phrase... be you... play it dirty if that is YOU. Relax ... create great textures of sounds that others may not dare to. We are all different ok.

johmica likes this.
  2. NGS Guitars

NGS Guitars TDPRI Member

Great stuff to work in...

3. gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Read a book called "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle. Not particularly entertaining, not a great author. But what he has to say is spot on and addresses exactly what you are asking. I think you can get a used copy off of Amazon for less than $10.

johmica likes this.
  4. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

playing music is about sound concept. you have the tone or style that you want in your ear, or brain, and you adjust your picking to get that tonality. things can be hard when you are all the way on one side of the spectrum and have been for decades. i guess the easiest way to stimulate the brain is to listen to the preferred sound a lot and allow it to sink in. in the end it ain't rocket science.

5. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

People on the internet like to say this to feel better about themselves. He really isn't sloppy at all.

OP, best thing for slop is learning muting in both hands and getting timing exact on a metronome. If you bend, get them precise.

teletail and johmica like this.
  6. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

Wow, great thread to wake up to. Inspiring!

johmica likes this.
  7. RoadShow

RoadShow TDPRI Member

My 2 cents after decades:

There are a lot of great tips mentioned in this thread, many I have used. When I started, the way to learn songs was to ruin vinyl. Just a few years ago 2 things made a huge difference for me.

1) I studied the pentatonic scales and understood it on the fret board for all the keys, this was huge, and then I also included it's full major scale. The light bulb went on for the circle of fifths and I realized that the Am notes were the same as C, etc. Understand how to move the scales up and down the neck for the different keys. Early on I didn't understand how important this was.

2) I bought Song Surgeon: this was just huge in my improvement being able to slow down sections and work on individual pieces. There are many other features, go check it out. There are other programs, but this is what I use. I sure wish it was available in the late 60s.

8. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Some people just don't play real clean and it suits me well. Scott H biram is one of them, and he is great.

9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You can improve more quickly by spending more time working at it...

there are no real shortcuts.

teletail likes this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Practice with a metronome. Slow things down until you can play the parts cleanly. Then work on speed by gradually increasing the bpm on the metronome.

When I was playing out a lot and learning songs, I would learn all the parts until I could play it at the original bpm. Then I would speed things up 5-7 bpm. When it came time to play the song live it was like having another gear.

YMMV but a metronome can be your best friend and help you see results faster.

upload_2021-2-2_11-18-31.jpeg

PhredE and buster poser like this.
  11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

another thing to consider, is, do you want to be able to play note for note stuff perfectly or do you want to be able to improvise cleanly. Not the same thing at all.

12. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

IMG_20210202_124011692.jpg

P Thought, Dan German and PhredE like this.
  13. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

I always play clean with some small reverb, delay, and dash of boost. playing clean flushes out timing issues in rhythm and lead guitar, as well as vibrato spazziness.

johmica likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

+1

I always say that there are no secrets, tricks or shortcuts, there is only hard work. Spend a couple of hours a day practicing for a couple of years and you'll be amazed at the progress you'll make. Just my 2 cents, but anyone that is serious will find themselves a good teacher. With Skype and so many world class players out of work, there is no excuse not to be able to find someone. I've had several issues that I struggled with for years diagnosed and on the way to being fixed in a few minutes by two really good teachers. My only regret with lessons is that I didn't start them sooner.

PhredE, fenderchamp and johmica like this.
  15. brokerboy4u

brokerboy4u TDPRI Member

Speed is the byproduct of accuracy. Practice with a metronome until you can play something perfectly. Increase the tempo only when you can play it perfectly, this should help you with the sloppiness.

johmica and PhredE like this.
  16. AS193

AS193 TDPRI Member

There are full courses on truefire that deal with picking, expressly.

johmica likes this.
  17. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2636316-the-principles-of-correct-practice-for-guitar

This is the best resource I've found for 'cleaning up' my playing. I used this book many years ago and still use the basic principles to sort out problems. There is lots of expert guidance but for me the real gem in this book is what he calls 'No Tempo Practice'. Essentially you take a lick or a phrase that is giving you problems and you play it without any regard to keeping a strict tempo or rhythm....you free yourself from that which then allows you to focus on what your fingers, hand, elbow, shoulder etc. are doing. Playing ridiculously slow (without any regard to tempo or rhythm) will begin to reveal the glitches...where tension is held...how a finger hesitates before moving....is your shoulder relaxed, etc. Technique is first and foremost a physical skill, it's not a musical thing. It's how effectively and efficiently your body interfaces with the instrument. It will take a bit of work but this, for me, is the best possible solution...it just makes sense and the results are evident.

johmica and PhredE like this.
  18. Dalan

Dalan TDPRI Member

Slow down and use a metronome

johmica likes this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For what it's worth—

I recently got a Pignose Mothership2 Synth pedal for guitar; it's monophonic, single notes only. Playing through it, you instantly become aware of any stray string sounds, as they get translated by the pitch follower into ugly 'BLOOBS' & 'BLEEPS' :eek: — so it's forcing me to closely mind my string muting.

It's similar to just playing with high gain or fuzz, where extraneous string sounds are in your face...but the Mothership type pedal is even less forgiving.

Lots of good advice in the thread; I'm taking up the "spider" exercises.

20. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Hi - you have a lot of advice on how to improve now - and no. 1 is S....L....O....W.... - playing slow and accurate is the hardest thing to do. If you can do that, speed will come by itself.

But you have a very valuable thing that you do already - an escape, a vent, something to help you relax and clear the bee swarm in your mind. Whatever you do, don't lose that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.