1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean little E pulloffs without rolling off

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by sothoth, Dec 23, 2020.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Been working on a couple of songs where there are quick pull offs on little E string between 5th fret and open and 7th fret and zero that I’m having trouble with without rolling the string off the fretboard. Not as much of an issue doing this lower down the neck towards the 3rd fret where it’s closer to the nut and harder to roll. I generally don’t have issues with this because most pulloffs are more like 7 pulling off to 5 or something similar where you have two fingers stabilizing the string.

On the one hand I feel like there is some trick to having a snappier pull off, or pushing the string up rather than down for the PO that will get better as I drill it. But I’m also hoping I’m just missing something obvious and the forum masses can chime in with any manner of suggestions for what to try.

One way I’m trying to practice is by playing AC/DCs Thunderstruck on the little E instead of the B string but damn sure seems like I’m missing something in my drills that are preventing fast improvement.

Maybe I have weak, wussy fingers?

2. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Maybe. I'm certainly no expert -- I hardly have any technique -- but I always go to a guitar with taller frets for hammer-on, pull-off action, feeling that snap comes a bit easier.

3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Those pulloffs are one of those things where it takes less force with the fretting hand fingers than we might think. Maybe try to experiment with less and less of a pull and less pressure?

4. sothoth

Never considered the fret size. I’ll look.

5. sothoth

Good idea I’ll try that. For sure I am ham fisted on my fretting hand. Maybe I’m reverting to that in an attempt to have a snappy pull off when what I need is the opposite. Will try...

6. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I don't have any advice to give, but I've always thought the E strings are too close to the edge of the fretboard on vintage specs T-style guitars. Also fretboard radius might affect this too.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I have a guitar that really needs a new nut, because the [email protected]#$%& who set it up at the factory put the High E too close to the fretboard edge, and the frets are also excessively rolled. So when I attempted a pull off, even on the 3rd fret, I'd get that weird noise instead of a clean pull-off; something like saying "filigree" after inhaling a helium baloon.
    I had 3 options:
    1- Learn how to pull-off by flicking my finger inwardly, away from the edge of the fretboard.
    2- Take a drift punch and push the nut a few mms away from the High E edge.
    3- Make a new nut that is spaced properly inward from the fretboard edges.

#1 was awkward and didn't work very well and made me feel incompetent, so I did #2 for now, until I eventually get around to #3.

8. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Raising the string height may help. Perhaps checking your neck relief as well.

9. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Go. Slow.

I mean, this is like any technique that you practice. Practice it slow enough that you can concentrate on doing it right. Speed it up as your fingers get used to it. Give yourself a week or two of regular practice and measure the results.

A metronome's great for that last bit. You practice with a metronome, right?

Charlie Hunter again: "They won't remember you as the guy who couldn't play fast, they'll just remember you as that guy who couldn't play."

SRHmusic likes this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of songs I'm working on with that same move - I think I avoid it by pushing inward just a bit in conjunction with the pulloff. I also have 11s and the E string is in the just-right zone, not too close to the edge. Low E pull offs are the same thing but of course with just a little pulling towards the A string as I release.

11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Practice. Less effort with correct technique will work better than more effort with incorrect technique.

12. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Sometimes fret ends that have been rounded off too much create this issue. Also, some E strings ride close to the fret edge just by their placement. Sometimes loosening the neck / body bolts and slightly pulling the neck to one side or the other while tightening the bolts can fix this issue. Check that from the first to the last fret the E string stays approx. the same distance from the edge.

13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Technical variables aside, if you want to rule out finger strength, this is a great exercise I do several times a week (assuming you aren't already doing something similar)

14. sothoth

Yes I’ve had that as well. Not the care on these guitars I’m using (luckily) plus they’re set neck so I’d be even more screwed if they were!!

15. sothoth

I think that might be what I’m stuck with. Pushing up for the pull off rather than pulling down. Will take me a lot of practice but I’ve been trying to pull down in any number or ways and it’s just not working that well. I know what you mean about that wonky and annoying sound. Just what I want to avoid.

16. sothoth

I agree, similar to what edvard suggested, that I may need to try this. Will take some time to train myself, feels unnatural to do it this way but maybe that’s what I need to do.

17. sothoth

Good idea I’ll look at that, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.