Clean boost.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
I got one of these in a milk crate of stuff I bought 6 or 7 years ago.
I didn't even know what it was.
It went on my small board and never left.
I recently had an issue with mine and had to take it off my board. I temporarily put my Boss SD-1 overdrive in its place, but it is not the same at all, and I was really missing the LPB-1.

I just fixed the LPB-1 a couple of days ago, and now all is right with the world again.

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
Screen_Shot_2017-08-01_at_6.00.10_PM.png

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
The Barbershop V2, is a good boost and has preamp qualities. The sag control, can dial in edge of breakup, for tube amps and solid state amps, tube emulation.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
T Rex Fat Shuga boost/reverb is perfect for an original Princeton non-reverb model, like it's purpose built for it. Instant handwired PRRI in a box.

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Will do. I like the idea of making my own. I'm not a big pedal guy. Just need something to boost my solos. The boost I have now is an always on, that's why I need an other one that isn't gonna change my time. Tried a tube screamer, didn't even sound like my guitar. I guess I'm one of the few that don't like it..

For a clean solo boost, the GE-7 is the ticket. 15db of boost with the EQ completely flat. For solos, you’ll want to bump up the overall volume and also bump up the mid range just a bit and cut the lows just a bit - not extreme like some boost and OD pedals do. The mid boost will make your solos pop without excessive volume and the low cut is just to compensate for the increase in volume. Basically, the end result is that you want to increase the highs, increase the mids a bit more and leave the low where it is. An active graphic EQ like the GE-7 let’s you trailer the boosted sound with great precision.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Another very happy Spark mini user here.

Previously I used-

Boosta Grande- I still love this pedal.

Micro Amp- never could get along with subtle treble boost. Many claim not to be able to hear it, but it’s at a frequency that drives me nuts.

Fat Boost 3- Good pedal, but too complicated and convoluted. It was the best boost pedal I’ve used on an acoustic.

EP Booster- Just sounded farty and honky to me.

LPB1- It had a weird frequency that stuck out and hit my ears wrong. It also went belly up in pretty short order.

GE7- Works really well, but noisy.

If something happened to my Spark mini, I’d get another one immediately. But if I couldn’t find one, I’d have no issues going back to the Boosta Grande. Both are awesome.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
I built some of the usual suspects of clean boosts and found out that I wanted something with a tiny bit of compression, a bit of a mid bump and some control of the treble.
Too flat can translate to bass flub or piercing treble.

All of the 9v boosts had not enough headroom and started to break up after a wah or an overdrive etc.
Something with 18v operation was needed.
All this lead me to some kind of Klone at the end of my pedalboard. It can stay clean after other pedals, can have a mid bump or be flat.

Okieactor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Recommend:
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
Xotic EP Booster
MXR Booster Mini (echoplex circuit, as I think the EP above is)
If you go the EQ route, I have an MXR 10-band, but the boss GE-7 will run as designed on a regular adapter.

And JHS Clover, which is a preamp, but also has EQ options. Idk if it’s exactly what you are describing, but it’s just an amazing cleanish pedal that I could use as an always on, or various kinds of solo boost, honestly I could use 2 of them.

I am not into TC any more because the switches suck and are not easy to replace.

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

Thing is, the fundamental frequency range of an electric guitar is about 80-1200 Hz, so you've basically got three extra sliders there. I guess the 1600 Hz one can bump up your high harmonics up there in the fruitbat mating call range (great if you like that kind of thing), but you're still giving up a lot of pedalboard space for not much return. Plus, that thing needs an 18v power supply.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I use Tru-Fi Colordriver 9V with the gain off for a sculpted boost. Has huge headroom and the treble and bass controls are very sensitive so can dial in the right levels of frequency boost. Caveat to this is it's an overdrive pedal so cannot be entirely flat.

As said by others, Xotic EP boost or a GE7 are good shouts if you know what frequencies you want to boost or just want a flat boost.

J-bass&Tele

Tele-Meister
I just play a little harder.
It works for me.
Let the mocking begin.

This is what I do most of the time, sometimes combined with turning the volume knob on the guitar from 7 to 10. Does the trick for me.
The Klone is for when both the drummer and bass player decides to go bananas.

Gris

Tele-Meister
Anybody know of a clean boost that comes close to the Fulltone fat v1? I need a new one and there going for $200.00 used now. Mainly want a boost that doesn't add a bunch of mids and doesn't drop the low end.
I’ve got a first GEN fat boost over in the studio that’s just collecting dust
Anybody know of a clean boost that comes close to the Fulltone fat v1? I need a new one and there going for $200.00 used now. Mainly want a boost that doesn't add a bunch of mids and doesn't drop the low end.

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
GE7- Works really well, but noisy.

Interesting. I've had 3 plain old, non-modified, non-waza, GE-7s over the years. My first was probably from Taiwan, the other two likely China. I have had noisy overdrives and compressors, but I would never have put the GE-7 in the noisy category unless you are boosting the highs all the way to the top (who would do that?). Maybe I had a string of lucky ones, but I've seen people complain about the noise/hiss numerous times.

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The LPB-1 just completely neutered my tone. I took it back thinking it was defective and the new one did the same thing. It was a long time ago and I was probably doing something like using a 25 ft. lead cord with no buffer in front of the LPB-1, which I learned is unbuffered even when active - its a very simple circuit. I know better now and could probably make it work, but if you are putting it first in your chain with no buffer, the LPB-1 might not be the best choice.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Some boost pedals that I have owned and liked
Fullone 2B, small, sounds great, I need another one I think
Xotic Super Sweet, another good one, has mini DIP Switches on the side for various tones.

EQ pedals work well if they are not too noisy, but I think I would rather use an EQ as an EQ for different tones.

The MXR micro amp has been around a long time and works well.

Way way back I had a EHX LPB-1, I know it could really slam the front end of a tube amp but don't really recall the tone it's been so long ago.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
There are lots of LPB1 variations. But my experience is that the cut just a hint of the upper end. You might like it or not. But, it's not completely transparent.

A Timmy clone will give you clean with the Gain down. Mostly transparent but you can make any tweaks needed with the bass/treble controls.