Clean boost, Where in the chain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Taco101, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Taco101

Taco101 TDPRI Member

Currently I'm chain goes: Ernie Ball VP Jr, TS9, TS808,GFS Brownie, Dano flanger and chorus, Carbon Copy delay, Behringer Noise Filter, amp. I am adding a clean boost for clean solo use. Where should it go?

2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Everyone will say last, so it doesn't overload the other pedals in the chain.

So ... last.

Is it the Fulltone? I love mine, a great pedal, couldn't live w/o it.

3. Daron

Daron TDPRI Member

What kind of amp do you have? At the end of the chain seems like a good choice, or at least after the dirt. That will add volume and not more gain. Though if you run your amp pretty close to breakup already, after you add dirt to the mix it may not make much difference and will only cause more tube distortion, not necessarily making things louder. Experiment and see what sounds best to you. If you use an effects loop, I would put the clean boost there for maximum effect.

4. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

clean boost = after the dirt you want to clean boost, as long as it's after that, all is cool.

I'd put a volume pedal in the loop before i put an OD pedal in there. Not really what loops are supposed to be for.

5. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

If you want to boost your GAIN, put it before your main OD pedal. If you want to boost your VOLUME, put it after.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Have you tried stacking you existing OD pedals, and set one as a boost?

7. Taco101

Taco101 TDPRI Member

Cool beans! Knew Id find the answer here. I'll put it at the end. The VP is first because I use it for volume swells only. Ambient stuff. Amp is a Blackstar HT-5R set at the edge of break up. When I play clean I get clean tone unless play "hard" then I get hair on it. Use the OD for the rest.

8. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I always liked my volume after the dirt somewhere that way if I want to practice quietly I can just nudge the volume down a bit and still get the full effect of my OD's.

I always have put my boost at the end of my OD's. I always have gone dirtiest to lightest and so stuck the boosts at the back of it.

There is no wrong way of doing it so just mess around with everything and have fun.

9. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

I use a Dano FishnChips EQ as a clean boost. Its job is to make whatever I'm playing louder, and nothing else. Since the last pedal in the chain has the biggest effect on output, it goes last.

10. bwires

bwires Tele-Meister

I like my Spark Boost before the dirt. It adds more grit - yes - but it also adds sustain and a bit of volume.

11. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i keep volume pedal after dirt personally

i use a sparkle drive as a clean boost sometimes.. i have it right after comp and before my other dirt..which is a rat. its fun to goose the rat with a clean boost on occassion. i don't usually play with much dirt at all though.

12. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

to me a clean boost, by definition, is a volume boost after a pedal otherwise it's not a clean boost, anything else is another gain stage adding compression and distortion

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.