1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clean Boost Before Or After Dirt Pedal ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jammin'John, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

I know there's no right or wrong way. Is there any advantage in putting the dirt first ?

JJ

2. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Dirt then boost will give your dirt signal more volume. Boost first will drive the dirt pedal harder.

3. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Yes, potentially a big difference. Boost after the dirt makes the dirty sound louder but does not change the amount of gain (distortion). Great for soloing when you want the same sound, only louder. Boost before the dirt generally gives you more gain and will change the tonal characteristics. Depending on how much gain you have dialed in on the dirt pedal, the boosted volume level perceived may not be any louder. Try both ways and see with your setup.

jrblue, Fiesta Red and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Boost before the overdrive will add more overdrive... maybe a little volume.
    Boost after the overdrive will retain the tone, just add more volume.

Both are good... try it all and do what works best for you!

Edit to Add: While typing two people posted a similar answer... sorry, not trying to pile on!
    Note to self: Learn to type faster :lol:

Fiesta Red, PhredE and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I think my high school typing class was the most useful class I ever took, I use it every day. Kind of like trigonometry. ;)

6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Boost before dirt just dirties it up more, though that may be just what you need.
    On the other hand I've found a good boost after dirt to be more like a "clarifier".

7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use my Timmy in both the front and back of the pedalboard chain. I built a translocator pedal that allows me to switch a pedal or group of pedals from the front of the chain to the back of the pedalboard chain. I usually include a phaser, a uni-vibe and Timmy in the translocator loop. There are times when either place can be useful. I purchased the translocator pedal from General Guitar Gadgets. Here is the link to the translocator kit:

https://store.generalguitargadgets....rs/effects-order-switch-box-complete-kit.html

codamedia likes this.
  8. Jammin'John

I'm more happy with the fatness of the boost tone than the OD tone. The boost is a Maxon OD9 Pro+. Running @ 18 volts.
    http://www.maxonfx.com/nine-series-effects-pedals/od-9-pro-plus-overdrive
    The OD is a Pigtronix Fat Drive @ 18 volts. There's no EQ on either one,just tone.
    https://pigtronix.com/product/fat-drive/
    The eq on the Fat Drive is removed if you dime it. No eq. The OD9 adds fatness. I run the tone at less than noon,pre barely on,post dimed.
    On the Fat drive I have the drive @9,post @ 1. The overdrive comes on way sooner on the fat drive. Both pedals have MORE switches that double the gain.

JJ

9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW... Pushing an overdrive with a boost is how I prefer to bump up my signal. It adds a little gain, it adds a little body and it adds a little volume. I find it a little thicker and richer than just boosting the overdrive tone after the fact. I should note that my preference is based on the fact that my overdrive usage is "low gain"... just a soft overdrive that has room to be pushed.

Obsessed and PhredE like this.
  10. Neon Soul

Neon Soul TDPRI Member

Basic school of thought is Boost>Overdrive gives you more gain, and Overdrive>Boost gives you a volume boost.

However, if you are running into an already dirty/breaking up amp the boost last will push the front of your amp, giving you more amp gain, rather than pedal gain.

After getting to grips with those basic concepts the best thing to do is just grab the pedals and experiment with order.

Obsessed and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. Jammin'John

I'd rather have more amp gain. I don't want a big jump in volume though.

JJ

12. Jammin'John

My guess is I would like that idea the best. I don't want a big volume boost,just a different sound.

JJ

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Well the basic theory, and this applies to both boosting in front of a pedal or a amps preamp, it all depends on how much headroom the circuit in question has left to give up as wether it will get dirtier and/or louder. We'll use X as that device.

Boost>X set just barely into breakup, it's gonna mostly get a lot louder and a bit dirtier.

Boost>X set for a med OD, well it's gonna get dirtier and louder at about same ratio.

Boost>X set really dirty going into full on compression, well it's just going to get dirtier and more compressed with barely any vol gain, device X is out of headroom.

There all kinds of grey shades as to what's going to happen, all depends on how device X is set and how much boost your throwing at it.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. DrGnosis

DrGnosis TDPRI Member

If you really want it to boost the volume, try the boost pedal through the effects loop.

15. Jammin'John

I don't have effects loops and my compressor is before boost and dirt.

JJ

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I prefer boost into dirt, have it this way on both my boards. Timmy into BB Preamp on one, Fat Boost3 into old Fulldrive2 on the other.

17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Just experiment, no point in asking strangers.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  18. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

I wonder ... are they teaching thumb texting now? :confused:

19. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One cool possibility with a boost in front is an extra kick of brightness if the drive has low input impedance and the boost has high input impedance. Zvex SHO is good at this. I have one going into a touch sensitive jfet overdrive. It's like volume, gain and presence boost.

jddub440 and codamedia like this.
  20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Everything else has been said already, so I'll add this: An EQ pedal before or after dirt, or in the effects loop, can also be a good option.

Obsessed and codamedia like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.