Clean a lacquered maple fret neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DeepDangler, Oct 18, 2020.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

After playing my second tele with a satin finish neck, I noticed my main teles neck felt a bit “slow” by comparison. The neck is a finished maple with maple fret board compared the the satin finish and rosewood board. I tried cleaning it with a dry cloth and then some lemon oil but it still feels like there’s some friction and it’s just as slippery as my satin neck.

What’s the best way to clean a finished maple neck to make it slippery and smooth?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Don't apply any kind of oil to a finished maple neck. It can make the finish flake off if the oil gets into the wood.

If the issue is your thumb dragging on the back of the neck, it's due to the gloss. You can hose it down with some goo like Fast Fret, or you can de-gloss the neck.

Note that de-glossing a neck is a major modification and it's something you don't want to do to a particularly valuable guitar because it can de-value it. But if you want to proceed, here's the rundown, by our pal Galeazzo:

3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

You can also try baby powder on your hands.

Crobbins likes this.
  4. Squier by Squier

Squier by Squier Tele-Meister

Can recommend. Used this teqhnique (only with a scotch-brite) for my replacement neck. It was gloss (poly) finished while old Squier one was satin.

Right after treatment neck felt even too fast and slippery, but now it feels perfect. So at least the neck isn't a limiting factor (my playing skills still are, though :p).

Got the instructions here in TDPRI too, some great tips and knowledge.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Oh, you're just being modest. You can play.

6. Squier by Squier

Squier by Squier Tele-Meister

Hey, thanks! Trying to learn more every week.

Peegoo likes this.
  7. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

I have the same problem with my American Original. The finish on the neck is very grippy and a real problem when trying to bend. Will this improve with years of use? I might try baby powder or flour perhaps? Any chance of damage by using that?

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Plays like butter.

[​IMG]

JK.:D

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Using talc, cornstarch, etc., can gunk up your strings and the fretboard, especially if you have sweaty hands. Putting anything on the hands ends up on the neck, frets, and strings, and necessitates more frequent cleaning. It won't necessarily damage anything, but it makes for more work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.