1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Clawhammer fingerstyle or pick?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by zinc_chameleon, Nov 30, 2020.

1. zinc_chameleon

zinc_chameleon TDPRI Member

Hello everyone...one of the prime reasons I play Telecasters almost exclusively is because the space between the pickups on the traditional Tele are much wider that for most electric guitars, and this allows one to place their right palm on the bridge pickup plate, and use 'clawhammer banjo' style picking technique, with the famous percussive 'snap' that is unique to Telecasters. So, my question is how many Tele players on the forum prefer to play 'clawhammer' style versus using pick, whether a flat pick, or thumb and finger picks.

2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Both. Depending on the song.

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Crawhammer.... I like digging in with my fingers...:)

smoothrecluse likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play a variety of finger styles on the neck and bridge and neck pickups, none I’d call claw hammer. I play with a D’addario Cortex flat pick on the bridge pickup. None of my playing is especially percussive.

This is the second thread I’ve opened in the past week or two that talks about claw hammer. What am I missing?

EsquireBoy and Fretting out like this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I use a pick and fingers, and spend a lot of time plucking as well as picking. But, "clawhammer" usually refers to the down-stroke style, where you strike the strings with the nails, not plucking or pulling, combined with plucking with the thumb. Are you sure you really mean stroke-style, "clawhammer"?

fishermike, Wyzsard and PigBoy like this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Clawhammer or flatpick or thumbpick?

Yes.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

This is clawhammer guitar.

JL_LI, Dano-caster and fishermike like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Prefer clawhammer and I think the tele is the best electric for that style for reasons I don't completely understand, but in my paws, it is the one. I'll play with a pick if there is some strumming required in a song.

9. Hophip

Hophip TDPRI Member

Wat I do is grow my fingernails long and I sharpen em . Then I dug what we down here’s call chicken Pickens . Probably same as clawhamer

10. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Oh my.Never seen that before.Gotta love Molly.There is a more recent tutorial she does on clawhammer that is pretty detailed on youboob.worth a look if you're interested.

bottlenecker likes this.
  11. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Hybrid with a Jazz 3

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Claw hammer is completely different from chicken pickin, at lest my understanding of claw hammer as a new banjo player, claw hammer is all down strokes played rhythmically while the pop in chicken pickin comes from up strokes (at least when played with fingers)

I’m not sure how claw hammer transitions to the guitar as the 5th string on the banjo is an integral part of the rhythm

Me personally I play guitar with a thumbpick and fingers

13. Hophip

Hophip TDPRI Member

Yes em that sounds bout right. All downs is what my heavy metal chug chug around do . Lol is can play anything but the Cotten Picken banjo. What the hell is that tuner doing down there .. ha ha . Clawhammering I likes it .

14. Hophip

Hophip TDPRI Member

Up there’s in the nyc I thinks they call it finger style .

15. Hophip

Hophip TDPRI Member

Finger style= ups , clawhamer = down ok I gots it now thank you very much . Pedal steel is my main pain.

16. Hophip

Hophip TDPRI Member

Now that’s I’m a thinkin on it my thumb goes down only so no chicken picken is not all ups . No not by a far shot, that thumb walks the dog. Lol

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

don't let a style get in the way..

just play with your fingers on the strings and let them decide which way to hit them :)

Fretting out likes this.
  18. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I doubt that many players use true clawhammer on electrics. Maybe a few do mostly downstrokes, but that's not real clawhammer. The complexity of what Molly does to get all the notes she produces basically consists of playing a clawhammer pattern (bum-tiddy) but with a blizzard of additional notes inserted, some by brushing open strings (in different tunings) and others by dropping the thumb to hit treble strings. Maybe some of you people are actually dong that, in which case, come get your award, but I've seen a ton of guitar in my life, and played clawhammer banjo for a long time, and as for it being as common on guitar, let alone Molly-style, as some suggest, I can only say no, it's not.

19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I did not know that style was called clawhammer. It sounds great but to my ears, it really makes the guitar emulate a banjo. I’d be curious to hear it played on a tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.