1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classictone vs. Mojotone vs. APD 5e3 OT's

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by dwindover, Jan 17, 2021.

1. dwindover

dwindover TDPRI Member

Hey all,

Most of the amp parts companies seem to build replicas of the 50246 OT for their 5e3 Output Transformer. I've used the Classictone (RIP), and it's fantastic. I wonder if anyone has compared the Classictone 18022 to the standard Mojotone (Heyboer), APD8022H (supposedly a replica of the Classictone 18022 by Heyboer) and the Hammond version?

I'm curious to hear whether anyone has been able to compare these sonically. Is there a discernible difference, given they are installed in the same style amp, all things being equal. Currently, I have a Classictone in my 5G9 build. Balance from top to bottom. Chimey. Really warm and full, with none of the frequencies being brought too far forward.

I guess the follow up question would be, What's the tonal difference between 125A1A OT's and the 50246's? I know the 108's have a roll-off in the lower registers when pushed and has a slightly rounder top end (at least as described by some).

Thanks for your input!

Darcy

2. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

The Hammond recommended OT is quite a bit smaller than a standard 5E3 OT. One user here found it lacking. I haven't tried it and have no experience with the others...

3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

But lacking could be what you are looking for - smaller iron could mean early break-up.

It so hard to compare transformers without dropping them into an identical build. I've never had the patience or the money to try this.

But ask yourself what did Leo do?

whoanelly15 and Nickfl like this.
  4. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Hammond has "improved" core iron which obviously make transformers more efficient which make them smaller and obviously cheaper to make. Also transformers which are wound over plastic bobbin seem smaller than paper.

5. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

I put a Hammond 1750E ot in my 5e3 and it sounded small and thin to my ears. I replaced it with a Mojotone/Heyboer and it was a huge difference. The Hammond 1750E is really a Princeton transformer. I don't know why they market it for a 5e3.

6. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

H1750E should be fine for 15W when its -1dB comes to 70Hz and often amp distortion is consudered a good feature ;)

I did test Anplimo 25W toroidal OPT on my Deluxe and it did change sound clearer and brighter but it did not sound as Tweed anymore. However I was able to hear some difference between diffrent tube brands. I had a switch to switch between it and H1760E so comparing them was very fast taking HV Off, changing loudspeaker plug, flipping the switch and putting HV back On.

That experiment was so interesting soundind that I will build amp for Amplimo Toroid OPT but obviously I need to drive power tubes harder to prevent it becoming too HiFi or rely mostly to pre amp distortion? Or about double the power?

7. dwindover

dwindover TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone!

Has anyone tried the new APD-8022H OT?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.