1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ClassicTone Closing

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Phrygian77, Oct 27, 2020.

1. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Angela used to have great Hammond pricing and deep stock, I haven't bought in a while but that was certainly a great option in the past.

King Fan likes this.
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I can't speak to either the quality or suitability of the products of this manufacturer, but they make transformers in USA and some lines in Mexico to offer a lower cost variant. Here is their Ebay store.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/musicalpowersupplies

And their direct web site:
    https://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/

I got a fast reply from the owner when I asked about an output transformer for my Epiphone Galaxie Tube 10.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Another comment that just popped up this morning from another well known amp builder...

"I talked to Joe yesterday and he said it’s over this Friday and the last of the employees are done.
    The remaining stock is possibly being purchased in one big lot by someone who can dispose of them in their time."

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Here's the full text from the Amp Parts Direct email:

"Greetings!

In March of this year Shelley and I purchased Amp Parts Direct! We have worked hard to update our website and add to our product line as the owner of ClassicTone did not want to work with us. I am sure the word is out now, to most of you, that Magnetic Components/ClassicTone is shutting down operations.

Our partnerships with Heyboer Transformers and Mercury Magnetics are a blessing in disguise as we have been working since January to replace the former product line. We have our "all time top 35 best sellers" in stock and we are working hard to continue adding to our product line.

As you continue to pursue the highest quality sound we are here to help you! This article https://shop.amppartsdirect.com/blogs/news will help you to build confidence in our product line as you pursue that vintage sound!

Please "contact us" if you have questions or are looking for a product we could add to our store.

At Amp Parts Direct... we want to earn your trust and your business!

Our Manufacturing Partners:
    Heyboer Transformers has been designing and building the highest quality, paper wound, 100% hand made like the originals, transformers, chokes and drivers for the electronics industry in West Michigan since 1958!!!

Mercury Magnetics transformers are also 100% handmade in California, USA since 1954!!! Their Tone Clone plastic bobbin wound come with an unheard of 10 year manufacturers warranty as well as a money back tonal satisfaction guarantee! Mercury quite literally evolved a new science of guitar amp transformer design for tube based guitar amps and has continued to innovate and revolutionize it since!

Your quest for truly inspirational and superior tone has lead you to Amp Parts Direct and our industry highest standards manufacturing partners...
    Because of our partners, Amp Parts Direct continues to provide you only the highest quality transformers at the lowest possible price! Manufactured right here in the USA!

We have F&T caps, Jupiter Caps and more...!

We Look forward to being a "Part" of your projects!!!"

Phrygian77 and King Fan like this.
  5. Phrygian77

@corliss1

Good to know. I had used Amp Parts Direct several times in the past, and it was always a good experience. I knew something was going on when I tried to order back in the spring. I'll definitely add them back to my list of suppliers.

6. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum Tele-Meister

In both my previous builds I used classic tones and on my current build, I went for Hammonds as they were a bit cheaper. Now I feel shame :cry:

In all seriousness it sucks that they're going out. If nothing else, they have the most intuitive and complete website that I've found for looking up vintage transformers and I love their spec sheets - no frills.

7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

That's what makes me sad. Sure, there are alternatives, but not THAT many. And their line of products covers pretty much anything you might want, and they are easy to spec for a particular build. I've looked at Hammonds and Heyboars and didn't find their lineup to be "intuitive", meaning that it wasn't terribly obvious which transformer would be best for a particular amp (maybe this is just my ignorance, but it could also be room for improved marketing/sales for the other manufacturers?).

And I would never by MM. Just too dang expensive. $122 for a 5f1 PT and $122 for a multitap OT (versus $61 for the Classictone PT and $37 for the OT). Literally 2.5 times as much!! That is just way too rich for my blood.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Double-damn, Wally. Will you start up something else?

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Lol....I am almost 70. Maybe a home shop for some builds and work for established contacts.

10. Phrygian77

I got these in today, and they're the last I'll order. I didn't go hog wild.

PXL_20201029_202600131.jpg
    PXL_20201029_202759087.jpg
    PXL_20201029_203056468.NIGHT.jpg

11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

I just panicked and ordered 10 transformers.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Dammit I’m not falling for this!
    I don’t need an AC-30 OT I don’t need an AC-30 OT!

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  13. Phrygian77

If I were building an AC30, I'd get a Dynaco ST-70 OT.

tubegeek and telemnemonics like this.
  14. ginomolinari

ginomolinari Tele-Meister

I bought a set of classic tone for my 5E7 build. That was the last thing I bought in the States before coming back to Italy. Now the fun part is that the locals around here are really digging my amp and want me to build some. So I started sourcing local wounders. And I have found Onori Transformers, about 45 min from where I live. They build high quality transformers for audio and guitar amps. Mezzabarba, a quite famous local builder only uses their transformers. One of the Onori brothers called me up today and said, sure We can build you a set, which color? Lol.
    Excited to try them out. You guys should check them out.

tubegeek and King Fan like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I want it for a 36w TMB Marshall but have an amp that has a Tiny Terror (tailored after an early Plexi 100 sound) preamp into an AC30 power section.

My problem here is that no matter how hard I try I’m so steeped in mojo mythology I can’t let go of the idea that the classic tone AC30 OT is the source of the magic.

I had a dynaco ST 70 and those tall skinny OTs are funny looking, which could effect the confidence component in the mojo mixture.

Dynaco is up there in mojo market $$ value too, isn’t it?

I’m not sure if the rest of the power amp design differs much between the 18/36w Marshall and the AC 30 but I like the basic sound of an 18W TMB plus want the other channel and it’s a nice simple build.
    Classic tone doesn’t seem to offer a specific 36w style OT and I haven’t looked into options much but because I want a 36 and think a particular amp sounds awesome, here I am!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  16. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So my friends, I think we're failing to look at the big picture. :) What if Mojo and Angela and TubeDepot and AmpPartsDirect and Heyboer and all our other major suppliers and makers start going belly up? Forget panic buying of CT iron -- we need to get busy on panic buying of all the amp parts we might ever need.

If Congress can't pass an economic stimulus plan, maybe us amp builders can step in to save the day!!!

Seriously, @Wally , I like your positive attitude. I know you've been weighing this for a long time. As someone who retired not that long ago, I say jump in with both feet. And if amp repair becomes a fun side hobby instead of a business, it'll give you more time for the rest of your life -- and we expect even more of your great advice and humor in between motorcycle trips and all the other fun things you've been putting off due to work... :)

17. Phrygian77

@King Fan you probably need to be more worried about not being able to buy guitar strings. :p

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Motorcycle trips?? Trips of any kind are not in my plans. Staying close to home is the plan for the foreseeable future. Beyond that I cannot share many thoughts on the economy or much of anything else due to restrictions. Hey, we all need to get accustomed to restrictions, it seems.....or not as evidenced by our current situation.
    I am grateful for memories of the trip my wife and I squeezed in before it all came down. Last week of February, 2019 in Tulum, Mexico...
    EAFB7753-D1BA-4231-AB4B-BAE40023E5B5.jpeg

19. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

It's official sadly, damn I used them 99% of the time, couldn't be beaten on price, quality and service. At lest I'm not building anymore, but this could be a sign of things to come in general for tube amps.

Stay safe.

Wally likes this.
  20. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Sad news, they are gone.
    Quality products, I have used several.
    Damn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.