Classical Low E Tuning Peg Slipping

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Sep 2, 2019.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Some of you may recall a month or so ago I posted about the broken tuning peg on my small fender acoustic classical guitar, which is a relatively cheap model, I am aware. I got the replacement and after several failed attempts, got the string to tune. Well now it’s starting to slip again. Here is a short video that shows the gear slipping and being hard to turn, and the string isn’t even that tight. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it’s just a lemon of a guitar. Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

$20-25 or so @ Stew-Mac can get you a set of budget replacement tuners that are easy to install yourself.

I did this with a cheap Oscar Schmidt Classical a buddy gave me.

tele-rain likes this.
  3. tele-rain

Yeah I’m thinking the whole trio should be replaced, which doesn’t look too terribly hard either. I have no idea how to restring the classical though, with those knots at the bridge part. I do have a music store a few blocks from me, if I run into real trouble.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Bah hogwash. Just look at the knot and see where the string end is and back up the progression. It's easy peezy. I did it as a child. You can do that I am confident. As far as the tuners I don't know what to say except replace them if it isn't going to tune properly. I can't remember how long you have had it, no warranty? Figure out the knot! Must be a YT vid on that I am sure. Knot first and then go to the tuner.

tele-rain likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I went thru the same learning curve, there are good ( slow) YouTube videos on how to string as well as easy old school diagrams- also by Dan Erliwine

Edit: I'm actually one of the twisted types that like string changing, kind of ' making a connection' for me

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    tele-rain likes this.
  6. tele-rain

I bought it in May, but don’t have the receipt. The guy at Fender sent me the replacement peg based on my providing a screenshot of my credit card statement, don’t know if that would work again.

dented likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's not even actually a knot. Feed the string through from the soundhole side, then bring the short end around the long end, give it two twists around itself for the wound strings, and three twists for the treble strings, before pulling the long end tight. Do this before attaching at the tuner end. You only need about an inch outside the "knot" to hold while you tighten it, and to be sure it doesn't come loose. You can trim that back after you're sure.

It does sound like a new set of tuners would be helpful.

tele-rain and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. tele-rain

Ok guys, update time! I brought the guitar into a local shop. The guy first suggested I bringing it back where I bought it because they should honor the request to fix, but I said I don’t really get out there much (I got it on a whim at a place an hour away). So he then suggested I try to get the full piece from Fender and then he can have his guy replace it. So I emailed Fender again, Thinking no way they’re going to give me another piece, but the same guy replied and said he’d send it over!! Go Fender.

I hope this fixes the issue because I really enjoy that little guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.