1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classical gas

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by uriah1, Apr 4, 2021.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Been awhile.

2. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

Yep. I taught elementary school with his ex-wife, Sheila. She sometimes talked of Mason.

3. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I spent an entire summer years ago figuring it out and playing it badly. I’d have to relearn it all over again from scratch. An aging memory is a horrible thing. Brings back pleasant memories of my misspent youth.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

OK....maybe a flawed memory here, but my introduction to Classical Gas was on the old Smothers Brothers Comedy show. Mason Williams was affiliated with them in some way, and they did a "video" montage of the history of the United States, set to this recording.
    Yeah, it was really a "gas". ;)

uriah1 and Mike M like this.
  5. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

In Baltimore, in the mid 70's, it was used as the local news theme on the NBC channel.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Classical Gas is one of the hardest songs to play smoothly. If you can play it correctly then you must be good.

uriah1 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Best use of Classical Gas in a movie goes to

Possibly overplaying much, but still...

willie ray and uriah1 like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Years ago,

I recorded a really dumbed- down/incomplete version of
    " Classical Gas" for my own CD

It was 13 cool rock/pop/ blues instrumentals ( some were originally vocal songs) on a student Classical guitar a buddy gave me.

I'm not a Classical guitar player, but I do like to try to play simple finger style melodies on my steel strings.

So it was natural once I got used to the nylon string, that just seemed natural to do the same.

I then started to record songs on a Tascam digital hand held, just to hear if I sounded any good.
    Then just started keeping the tracks I could get through playing start-to-finish live, w/o major flubs. The action was high, and intonation was a little off, but so was I...

I took my time, and a year later ( audio leveling and photo/graphics help from buddies) I had a CD for friends and family.

My " Classical Gas" was lame, but my tone and arrangement were OK, just abbreviated

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.