Classic Vibe Thinline mod/build project - Basically replacing everything

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Naigewron, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

littlebadboy likes this.
  2. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Looks like a fun project....one thing you might want to consider is locking tuners, it will help keep you in tune when using the tremlo bar......you can always add those later if it's a problem

Naigewron likes this.
  3. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like this!!! Looks great! I had CV Thinline, sounded great, but the neck killed my hands, too thin, too narrow. I had to let it go. I'd love to do the same, at least replace the neck on one. Is it an easy fit? Do you think it will need adjustment shims or anything?

Naigewron likes this.
  4. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Fender-spec necks will slot right in.

Not sure if I will need shimming or not, but that will be because of the trem if so. If I used a standard Tele bridge, the neck replacement could be done in five minutes.

5. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

6. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I started with two classic vibe thinlines and ended up with these:
    dice 10.jpg Thinline 2.jpg

DHart and Naigewron like this.
  7. ThatWorshipTone

ThatWorshipTone TDPRI Member

Man, that thing looks TASTY! A thin line is on my bucket list, and I really want to put Wide Range hum buckers in it. I'm super jealous : )

8. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thank you for that information! I'll start my hunt for a thinline soon, I need to replace my 17 year old keyboard first. Good luck, and please post your project when you complete it, love to see how it comes out!

9. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

aye, noddy, ahm chuffed far ye!
    the thinline is my fave fender product along with the jazz bass and twin reverb

10. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

Looks great man, good work!

11. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Ok, some progress.

I haven't received my pickups yet, but the rest of the parts have come in, so I sat down for a couple of hours with a screwdriver to see if we could get something done

Today's parts:
    - Fender Standard Replacement Neck (MiM, Pau Ferro board, satin finish)
    - Fender American Standard tuners (staggered, non-locking)
    - Walnut pickguard from Electric Church Pickguards on eBay
    - eBay no-name bridge with cutouts for bigsby stringing
    - Gotoh InTune saddles
    - Duesenberg Diamond Deluxe Tremolo (short version)
    - (Not in the picture) Solderless wiring harness from Six String Supplies

[​IMG]

Today's main finding was that the wiring harness was not designed for a Thinline Telecaster (where the controls are bunched closer together). It took a bit of gentle coercion (ie. bending), but I got it in there.

The pickguard had holes in all the right places, but the holes for the volume and tone knob were too tight and had to be expanded a little. I just used a knife to shave a little around the edge, and it all popped in.

The tremolo was an easy install - Mark the four holes, drill and just pop it in.

So at the moment I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my pickups, and I also need to get the nut filed. All that's there now are six guide grooves; definitely not very playable.

I also need new knobs and a switch topper - The ones from the Squier did not fit.

I'm really happy with the look though - Definitely not something you see every day:
    [​IMG]

gypsy jim, heffus and DHart like this.
  12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I don't know if you've done anything with the bridge yet but an offset screwdriver would be ideal for adjusting your intonation on a bridge like that.

ken5724250k.jpg

janglemore and Naigewron like this.
  13. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Yeah, I was going to look into slotting the end of the screws, but I figured that one of those will be good enough. It's not like I'll be adjusting the intonation often.

14. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Next step: Installing a Zero Glide Nut, which is a nut with a built-in zero fret.

Even with my exceptionally limited expertise (as in none at all), this went pretty well. WOuld have been even simpler if I had a decent flat file, and not just a skinny round one, but it worked out ok regardless.

So this is a nut with a buil-tin zero fret that requires no modification of the neck, and it seems to work as advertised. The string glides smoothly across the fret with no hangups, making tremolo operation really smooth and reliable.

I do have an issue with the tremolo though - It seems to have two "zero points", depending on whether I bend up or down. This seems to maybe be caused by a slight rattle in the main shaft that holds the strings, so I think I'll contact Duesenberg to see if this is a common issue and what may be done about it.

Other than that, this guitar is beginning to become really nice and playable. Next step will hopefully be the pickups, but they're taking their sweet time to arrive...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.