Classic Vibe tele with Alnico 5's or 3's?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Hoosiergrass75, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Hoosiergrass75

Hoosiergrass75 TDPRI Member

Looking to add to the stable soon... going to purchase either the Classic Vibe butterscotch with the Alnico 5s or the Blonde with the Alnico 3s. Also on the radar is the Fender Modern Player Thinline Deluxe with the 2 P90s. I may splurge for that additionally. Give me some feedback on the 3s versus the 5s. I enjoy cleaner tone, less gain and strive for good tube dynamics in my playing.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

To answer your question directly, in my (meager) experience of different pickups, both Alnico 3 and Alnico 5 are great pickups, capable of excellent tones. The biggest differences will occur by experimenting with adjusting pickup height, and using YOUR OWN EARS to evaluate. I have tried quite a few different sets in my #1 Tele, and rarely know what magnets are in them....I simply go by how they sound. My choice is Bootstrap Pickups "Palo Duro" Telecaster set, don't know off the top of my head whether they are AL3 or AL5, but I love the sound.
    Are you going to play the two CV Squiers before buying? That should be the way to go. Pick the one that "speaks" to you. If not, just choose the color you like best. (I'm not being facetious) Your favorite color guitar nearly always sounds "better".

rich815 and Hoosiergrass75 like this.
  3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

AlNiCo 3 is sweeter and sounds great clean. And distorted. More treblely w-out being harsh on my '52 RI. Overwound can be a different story, the Highway Ones are quite harsh IME. Weaker output, but not that much.

Hoosiergrass75 likes this.
  4. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

I think you'll like the 3 better. My CVC very sweet sounding. For my ear they don't take the dirt as well as the 5 ymmv

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

The CV BSB has the Alnico 5's and sounds nice clean. The CV VB has overwound Alnico 3's. A little more grit (because of the fact that it's overwound). The CVC and CV Thinline have the Alnico 5's as well.

I love the Alnico 3's better but the MP Thinline with the P90s has been my favourite tele for months now... ;)

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I prefer fives by a big margin. I've had both CV 50's and 60's Strats, and one of the reasons that I couldn't bond with the 50's ones was 'cause of the threes.

7. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

I run a 3 in the neck a bit more mellow and a 5 in the bridge. Best of both worlds.

8. waterboy452

waterboy452 TDPRI Member

That's what I run in my CV 50's Strat. Stock A3 in the neck and middle, Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge. It's Alnico 5. Sounds great clean or dirty. The Duncan is absolutely an awesome pickup imo. One of the best sounding Strat bridge pickups I've heard, especially with lots of gain. I'm just recently reacquainting myself with the Tele, so I'm not sure. I tend to prefer the A5's in general, so that's probably what I would do. It also depends on what tones you're after.

Mincer and Hoosiergrass75 like this.
  9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

A5s for classic twang, country and chicken pickin'; A3s warmer, smoother, less aggressive and brittle.

havlma1 and Hoosiergrass75 like this.
  10. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

@nojazzhere, Bootstrap Pickups "Palo Duro" Telecaster set are Alnico 5's.

nojazzhere and Hoosiergrass75 like this.
  11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I tried both before settling on the VB with the A3s. Honestly, the difference in pickups wasn't that noticeable, to me anyway. I'd bet I could get either one to sound exactly the way I want (for jazz and 50s-style blues) by adjusting pickup height and fidgeting with the tone knob.

12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I owned both Classic Vibes briefly. Overall I liked the BSB more, but not by much. Didn't keep either long term. Plenty right and nothing wrong with either but I just never play a traditional tele when there's a strat hanging next to it and I"m a strat guy, so normally configured teles just don't last with me.

But I have the Modern Player Thinline Deluxe and it's a long term keeper. I like the sound of the original pickups but I didn't like the noise from them so I upgraded them to a set of Vintage Vibe P-90s with Alnico 3 (they come with an extra set of magnets and I have a set of 5s around here somewhere, but I doubt I'll ever swap them out) and they're both quieter than the originals and sound better as well. I got that guitar "used" for either $300 or $350, I forget which, but it still had the plastic on it - I think it was a floor model or something but it was effectively new. I love that guitar...

-Ray

13. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The A3s by a wide margin for me.

dougb415, nicod98 and Hoosiergrass75 like this.
  14. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd do the opposite. Hotter coil wind, on the A3 for a thicker, less icepick prone lead pickup sound, and the A5 neck giving a bit more bass punch and chimier highs.. Best of both worlds ;)

If I only had to pick one, I like the A3 CV's on both the strats and teles. I guess I just have a thing for the weaker grade magnets..

15. Hoosiergrass75

Hoosiergrass75 TDPRI Member

I am definitely picking up one of those thinline deluxe models. I like the P90s for crunch for sure and they clean up sweet too. I'll have to think on the CVs. Lots of different favorites mentioned above, just need to go play them and see which I prefer. I currently own a GJ2 Hellhound with a P90 in the neck and a G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy with a Humbucker in the neck but I've yet to own a standard single coil neck PU tele but one of those CVs will probably speak to me when I try them out. Thanks for all the feedback about the CVs guys!

16. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I got the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in the Butterscotch Blonde finish Pine body with the Alnico V pickup's. I got really lucky. I walked into Sam Ash Music and there it was. It was in the "Used" section in MINT condition and they had it marked at $224.00. On top of that they were having a 10% off on purchases of $199.00 an up. They also had a "brand new" Fender American 50's Telecaster in stock. So, I got to play the Squire against the Fender through a Vox AC 30. Wow!!! I was "truly" amazed at how well the Squire was built, the feel of the neck, and the tone of those Alnico V pickup's. I swear the Squire sounded, not as good as the Fender, better. I ended up walking out with the Squire Tele with an aftermarket gig bag for a grand total of $214.00. I remember back in the late 1980's Jeff Healy played a Squire Strat and more recently Jack Pearson found a Squire Strat which he plays live. Jack said all he changed was the volume potentiometer. I currently have all "Made in the U.S.A." guitars. This is my first "Made in China" electric guitar and ya' know what? I am very excited about my new Tele. I really like it because it plays great and it sounds great. Plus the price was so unbelievably low. I am a big fan of the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster.

Route67 likes this.
  17. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

To my ear A3 tends to be bright in that more upper mid crunchy way. A5 has that high top end sizzle that comes with more of the higher register trebles. I'm not sure, but isn't the bridge A3 in the blonde overwound to about 9k? If so, i had that pickup (got it from the company rep) and i thought it was too dark and hot. Ok if thats what u want but i found it a bit dull sounding. Of course maybe i'm wrong and the blond's A3 is not wound that high like the one i had? Anyone know? Anyways, just my opinion but i prefer the A5 in the BSB but both are not as good as a usa fender like a nocaster or such. so if it were me i'd just get the one who;s look you like best and put some better pickups in it. They're so inexpensive that you should be able to do that and still be on the low end of things overall.

Route67 likes this.
  18. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

I’ve owned two of the VB’s with A3s, and I found them consistent to each other and agree with your assessment - on the dark and hot side, but appreciate it nonetheless to contrast with my other Teles (RW ‘50s and CSL ‘50s MIM).

19. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Good find! As an old Squier Classic Vibe affecianado, the spelling of Squier is worth to check out too. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.