Classic Vibe Tele owners club.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Mark Davis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely. The only people who can’t get on with the original split-post and drilled Kluson-type machines, it seems to me, are those who have no idea how to use them correctly and/or how to stretch-in new strings once they’ve been installed.

2. Nefyn

Nefyn NEW MEMBER!

3. Nefyn

Nefyn NEW MEMBER!

Cgs1715726Nefyn

4. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

Oooh, that's a sweet sounding combo

YOSTINATOR likes this.
  5. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm in. Received this one right after Christmas. Loving it![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

They're quite amazing aren't they?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  7. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Hot Blondes!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm not normally one for clubs, but my Classic Vibe is a fine club indeed...

CV50_3.png

Chunkocaster and Tony474 like this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Well, mine is part Fender, part Squier, part Cavalier. The mahogany body is a Squier CV '69 Thinline (from Stratosphere). The neck is a Fender Baja '60s rosewood (also Stratosphere). Weighs just over 6 lbs.

As it turned out, this is one of my most prized Teles. Cavalier Lioness neck pickup and Cavalier 51/52 bridge pickup. Incredible tones out of this sweet guitar!

[​IMG]

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

With the weather we've been having lately, it could also make a usable spade... ;)

beagle likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It wouldn't be the first time I used a Tele as a snow shovel, but this one is much too nice. :)

Tony474 likes this.
  12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I was really missing my teles having sold my last MIM classic series 50s about a year ago I was going to stay with just 2 guitars, my MIM 60s strat and my classic vibe 50s strat. But the other day i was surprised to see a mint classic vibe butterscotch tele at a pawn shop for $200. Needless to say i couldn't pass it up. Immediately replaced the bridge and saddles with a USA AVRI plate and fender compensated brass all of which i had in my parts drawer. And also a twang king neck and 63 custom bridge. Within an hour the stock pickups went back in because i preferred them over what was usually my fav tele pups. Thats says a lot.. Same thing happened with my 50s CV strat.....it's stock pickups won out over a set of USA 57/62s. The plate and saddle stay tho, as i always find they sound more tele correct than the stock CV which tend to give a more middy sound i don't want in a tele.

My only complaint with this new tele really isn't anything thats a problem with it. I just find it sounds closer than i'd like to my CV strat. I always thought pine would be more ash like in sound, but it seems to sound closer to alder like my CV strat is. But it still has more bite like teles do so it's hopefully different enough that i hopefully will want to keep it even if it does sound a lot like the CV strat. The crazy thing is how well these are made. I really cannot find any fault with the build quality, but what really blows me away is the neck pockets. Both my CV strat and this new tele have pockets that are so perfect they look as tho the body and neck came out of a mold that has 100% perfect tolerances, and the fit is so perfect when you take the neck off either of them the neck is tight in the pocket to the perfect degree. I literally have not owned a single fender or fender clone at any price with neck pockets so perfect. Those chinese are VERY good at building guitars ! And theres a lot more details like that which just make me wonder why fender USA or mexico can't seem to do some things as well as the chinese. In any case, the CV line is IMO the #1 best value going in budget guitars which should be obvious by the endless stream of 5 star reviews. Don't think i have seen one with less yet. They are only budget in price, and finding a mint 2016 for 2 bills was a very good day.

ROADMAN and Tony474 like this.
  13. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I just joined this club. They've been on my radar for years but having had various Fenders over those years I couldn't really justify one (crazy logic eh? )

Anyway... I ended up Tele-less a few months ago as I sold a load of stuff to fund a custom built guitar, but soon regretted not keeping a Tele around.

Tried a bunch of different Teles last week, everything from Squiers up to US, the classic vibe I tried (new) was nice enough but far too heavy for me, and none of the Fenders I played spoke to me at all so I thought about putting a partscaster together to scratch the itch, but thought I would keep an eye out for a CV as well.

Saw a butterscotch Classic Vibe on Facebook marketplace locally for a reasonable price so went to check it out. Its not the prettiest examples and it's had a hard life, a few big dings and filthy, but it was light with plenty of fret life so the deal was done. A quick clean up and a new set of strings and I'm smitten, amazing really especially given how cheap these are.

The skinny neck wouldn't be my first choice, but it's got a nice subtle flame and not causing me any problems, figure I'll play it till the frets are shot and then buy something a little chunkier to put on it.

The plan was to mod the life out of it, but apart from maybe an electrosocket when I get around to it I can't find a reason to change anything!
    Back in the tele club and it's every inch a proper one[​IMG]

BorderRadio and Mr Scallywag like this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

People keep referring to them as skinny necks. Compared to what? IMO they're average thickness. For a Chinese manufactured guitar they're acceptable. Remember the toothpick Affinity/Standard necks? Narrow & thin. A double whammy.
    I think the CVC RW board was thinner than the maple version by a hair.

The CV's have a thicker neck than my MIM.

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

For me the reason I call it skinny is the combination of the narrow nut width (41mm I think? ) and the modern C profile

My #1 is a Gordon Smith GS2 which has a relatively wide nut width at 44mm, so the difference is very noticeable, but I guess for people playing fenders exclusively its not so much, so I do see your point

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It’s uh, a Classic Vibe :D

2A678CCF-2A6B-4B39-BF71-8355AA58493A.jpeg

horax and Grey_Melbourne like this.
  17. warddix

warddix TDPRI Member

well, back on page 94 or so, I joined. Then I sold, oops. Now I'm back, 2015 cv bsb, she's a beauty. number something like CGS01506 something. Bought used, but after cleaning it up, a little bit of Simichrome, and some setup, I can't find a mark on it. Good to be back

18. horax

horax Tele-Holic

How do you like it?
    Did you ever play a VM Jag? how would you compare the two?

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I owned a VM Jag, same color. I had to tweak the neck a bit, but otherwise it was a good guitar, no mods 'needed'. It didn't even need a shim, and the stock bridge was great with 11s. The new CVs are on par with the original VMs, but they seem a little rushed. The binding is bad, even for a VM. Compared to a VM Bass VI, the binding on the Jag was not up to snuff to mine. The VMs and CVs also sound very similar, despite the pickup name change.

I do like the narrow tall frets on the CV, and the blocked and bound neck of course. The new CV bridge is great too, but it needs teflon tape or lacquer on the posts.

horax likes this.
  20. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

CV 50s VB = CGS080500922 - I guess 2008 5th month, no 922
    CVC = CGS1701554 - I guess 2017 no 1554

temporarily there was another one in my hands:
    CV 50s VB = CGS1717704 - I guess 2017 no 17704

I keep the CV 50s VB completely stock, just the 3 way switch was upgraded to Fender. It's got a quartersawn neck.. The CVC got a 4 way switch, Fender knurled knobs, Fender ashtray with compensated brass saddles and new pickups. Twang King in the neck and Tonerider TRT2 Alnico III bridge. Both guitars sound and feel awsome.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.