1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Vibe Tele lovers check this out

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mark Davis, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ive been thinking about this for a few days see what you guys think of this idea and see if it would work.

One of my good friends is a Fender dealer and also an authorized repair center.

The CV Teles are great but there are a few parts that could use some improvment. Mostly the pots switch knobs and other hardware.

How would you guys like to order a new CV thats already had these less than great parts replaced with better parts? There could also be different stages of mods.

Stage 1

A completly new control panel like the 52ri uses with CTS pots a good switch and an orange drop cap and real Fender knobs. Basicly the same control panel the 52ri uses with a different cap.

Stage 2

All the things from stage 1 with the bridge and pickups from a 52ri or Nocaster or 62 USA ri Fender and a bone nut.

Stage 3

Everything from stage 1 and 2 with a nice tweed case like the 52ri comes in.

Basicly a deluxe version of the CV's

They would all have the warranty cause the dealer is an authorized reoair center and he would honor the warranty.

The guitar itself would be the same price as MF sells them for.

Each stage would have a different price depending on what the parts cost and the labor to do the work.

I think this would be a great idea for people who arent real handy with mods and they could get a killer guitar for not a lot of $$ that would be better than a stock CV.

One reason this might not work is the best part of any CV is the low price under $400 for any of them. The added mods would of course cost more which might kill the beat bang for the buck reputation these CV's have..

So thats why I need yout guys opinions.

Do you think this would work or do you think the CV's are good enough as is?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stage1 sounds interesting -- and how about a Electrosocket jack plate while you're at it?

3. Blues Hurler

Blues Hurler Tele-Holic

I'm with BigDaddy, but price would be an issue. Stage 1 with a nice padded gigbag would work for me.

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Mark...to be Honest, I've been doin this for the last 10 years with my Recrafted concept...result....Lead Balloon : ( ....Sadly most are lookin for Bottom line, and would rather upgrade themselves....Acme is doing this also with the MIMs, but don't know what their results have been ?

5. pcalo

pcalo TDPRI Member

First post here fo me. I just bought a CV50s from Acme, and they replaced the pots, put a 4 way switch in, and reversed the plate before shipping it (free shipping!). $390 out the door.

this did not include the knobs and tip, wich I added .

6. Mark Davis

Ya I hear ya thats what I was thinking why it wouldnt work.

Ive seen acme do it to MIN stds makes them cost alnost $800 which kills the value deal.

I think I will just drop the idea cause with your vast experience doing this if it doesnt work for you it wont work for my friend either.

MY friend has no idea I thought of this I wanted to see what people here thoiught before I presented the idea to him.

Thanks pal your opinion means the most to me.

7. Mark Davis

Thats resonable just $40 more than the guitar itself cost.

Since Acme is already doing this and thats a super resonable price anyone that wants this just go to Acme! LOL

8. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Now if each CV weighed in at, say, less than 7.5 lbs. max, I would consider that.

Would even consider having a pre-setup guit-fiddle for extra if there was some kind of weight guarantee.

Sounds like trouble if modded guitars are sent out which from the get go will be returned due to weight issues. :oops:

And we know that does happen from the numerous comments here.:rolleyes:

(let's see 2000 posts in two years? I will be 74 y/o at this pace before hitting 22,000, haha)

9. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

i like a nice setup, and a new bone nut. my new CV thinline doesn't need the former, but that grey nut is a little unattractive. but i can live with it because it seems to stay in tune no problem. if it was a $1000+ guitar, i'd probably change it asap.

i think a lot of people are buying these guitars because there's "nothing to lose" -- so at this price point i can't see a lot of people upgrading without playing (and weighing) them first.

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great idea though. It seems there usually is not a lot of room at the bottom of the market for upgrades. Who want a Chevy with all the options when it can say Buick? That's an old-school analogy I know but that's really what Fender is doing with Squier->MIM->AM Std. The fun comes when the Squier factory does such a good job they are hitting on MIM territory at a Squier price. Then the self-modders can keep the illusion of low price even as they add all kinds of pricey options.

11. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

The real advantage of do it yourself modding is that you can do it gradually as you can afford it ,Same for partscasters .Buy a neck and cheap body etc ,upgrade as and when .Its also fun .Good luck though Mark.As its along way from Norwich to Bakersfield I sadly wont be taking you up on the idea .

12. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I'm wondering why the CV "needs" to be modded in the first place? I've been using mine since January '09 with no issues except a heavy body (which I swapped out for a lighter one). I probably have several hundred hours of playtime on my CV50 and it's still going strong.

13. Mark Davis

Ya my CV50's has been going strong for 2 years 1 month zero problem they dont need anything. But some people like to have different parts and stuff and dont know how to do mods for them this sorta deal would work.

14. maccampbells

maccampbells Tele-Meister

Nah. I've been giggin mine for almost years. Only thing I've had to do is replace the jack with and electrosocket cause the original broke.

Needs nothing.

15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I'm not handy with mods.. I was scared to death when I first adjusted the truss rod of my guitar.. this is a good idea for me.. and the fact that the mods are done by an authorized repair shop with warranty.. i will pay the extra..

but.....

you're already right that it would kill the "bang for the buck" title the CV series are pretty much known to be...

16. Mark Davis

Ya why turn a $350 guitar into a $500 one and not really improve the sound.

It was a dumb idea the more I thought about it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  17. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Tele-Meister

I don't think so Mark. It was a good idea IMO.

18. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

not a dumb idea at all..

but hey, if you are going to sell it, there's always people who are willing to pay the extra.. and there are people who won't..

but if you're going to keep it.. you'll be the only one, or the first one who has a deluxe CV50's tele.. everything first class.. :p

19. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Not really a dumb idea imo.

Because the sound and playability are not really any problem out of the box. What is easily improved upon is the robustness. I had to do the jack on day 2 and I found the knobs to be slick and the pots very stiff... Just doing new pots, cap, switch and jack instantly made me feel better about taking this thing out on gigs. The nuts on some of these are cut too low so that would also be something to look at.

Stage 1 would totally interest me, beyond that ... i dunno.

20. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I don't really think it was dumb Mark...and to be Honest my ReCrafting thing was sorely lacking in Marketing (Not one of my Strong Points)...I enjoy the Hands-on part way more than trying to Sell em....That's why nobody has seen me one Ebay since Oct 08 when the Market dried up......:(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.