1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Vibe Tele Custom vs Vintera TC

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by keeffreak, Apr 17, 2021.

1. keeffreak

keeffreak TDPRI Member

Hello fellow tele freaks,

Knowing how good the Squire line is and made even better with some simple mods, can anyone critique the Squire vs the Vintera Custom? The whopping $500 price difference would go towards one of the amps I’ve lusted over for years, like a tweed twin.

Correct me if this is wrong but the only major differences are the poplar vs Alder body, tuners (easily upgraded) and the bridge pickup.

Both list the neck pickup as a “Fender® Designed Wide Range Humbucking”. Exactly the same on both?

I’d prefer a 6 saddle bridge so maybe a $450 difference after all. Still pretty good savings.

I’ve never played either, hope to test drive soon schedule permitting.

thanks for reading

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have 4 Squire CV ( C ) Teles and really like them
    They are from around 2008 /2011 , though
    The ones currently sold , made in Indonesia leave me stone cold in comparison to the Chinese ones , sorry
    I would go for the Vintera

3. keeffreak

keeffreak TDPRI Member

Good info thank you!

Forgot to say the 9.5 radius (as on the Squire) is a little better for me, always preferred it especially now with my finger joints not what they used to be.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  4. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

DB8AC9C9-B495-40AE-9CC5-B84FB97BD7F1.jpeg This is my new (to me) 2020 Squier Classic Vibe 70s Telecaster Deluxe Limited Edition. Only 500 made, for the European market. Only 250 in this colour. Previous owner imported it to Canada. I absolutely love it. made in Indonesia and plays like a dream. Playability-wise it’s no different than the Vintera Tele Deluxe I’ve played, with the exception of the pickups being a bit brighter and that’s an easy fix. Check out this YouTube video comparing the two...

mystichands, RevBillyG and Greggorios like this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Not so !much real info , they are just not for me.
    As you can see , other members like theirs

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The big difference as is always mentioned is neck size. CVs have super thin necks, vinteras are pretty beefy. Huge difference there which i would base my decision on. Especially if you favor one or the other. A love CVs ad they they easily have with most any MIM and have owned every single model of CV. But i no longer own one because of the necks. Aside from feeling crazy thin, super thin necks also tend to sound thin too. Every one of my CVs did to some extent even with bridge and pickup upgrades. The only squier i now own is a paranormal series tele because the neck if fuller then any CV i have owned, but it's certainly not beefy and like them it also sounds a bit thin. I love the thing but unless i can get the sound right it too may be gone. My 3 other guitars have beefy necks and thats how they sound. But YMMV, just be sure you like the neck feel before you buy. I;d go with the vintera all day long for the beefier neck.

7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Though I'm aware that parts are not always immediately available I'm a fan of Partscasters.

This (CV on the left, Hwy 1 on the right) is a Classic Vibe body, Fender 60's Classic neck/tuners and whatever other bits I feel like.

The older 60's Claasic Vibe bodies are quality Alder and visually I find this CV body more appealing than my American Deluxe Tele.

image.jpeg

The original CV neck was nice but I had this Fender neck already. The original CV pickups were also decent depending on what you play. The CV electronics were identical to the factory electronics that came in my mid 2000's MIJ Fender 60's Custom with Bigsby (unless the Fender's previous owner stole the MIJ pickups. Solder joints all looked factory to me).

Edwards, American Deluxe, CV Partscaster.

IMG_20210327_171109.jpg

I don't have a lot of money into my Partscaster and in that way it is the best bang per buck guitar.

Bought the complete CV with HSC in mint condition for $300 CAD then sold the neck and pickups for $180.

Bought the neck for $200 with tuners and another $100 for pickups.

So that's a complete guitar with quality pickups (of my choice) with a HSC for $420 CAD ($335 USD).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    mystichands likes this.
  8. Oakville Dave

I noticed that too in earlier CVs. Mine actually feels like a modern C, not too thin at all.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

The new CV50 has pine body, not poplar. As far as I know, I've heard they are still produced in China, other Classic Vibe models are made in Indonesia.

mystichands and Oakville Dave like this.
  10. fender4life

Is it Indo.....maybe they are now a bit thicker? My recent 2020 paranormal as i said isn't too bad. Not sure why but then it's not a CV. Not so much thicker as more shoulder.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. fender4life

I think they are doing both. Some china, some indo. I saw a CV50s recently that was indo.

Oakville Dave and Fendereedo like this.
  12. Oakville Dave

It’s definitely Indo and a CV. Made only for the European market...

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. Oakville Dave

It’s definitely a CV.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. Oakville Dave

15. fender4life

I wasn't referring to yours when i said not a CV, i was talking about my paranormal.

Fendereedo and Oakville Dave like this.
  16. keeffreak

keeffreak TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the excellent reviews. I think maybe I’ll go with the squire since my ulterior motive is to have it in open G to go with the still unfinished Mccawber. Better than defining a $1000 guitar.

I’ll have to concoct an elaborate rouse to fool my wife when I get the Vintera for standard tuning.

As many know I’m sure it’s said Mccawber is using Nocaster wiring. The switch is always on the bridge so he’s blending.

I think he does it with the Custom too. The switch was moved to the tone knob to get it out of his way. The toggle also always on the bridge. So the other tone is the blend, and maybe indy or one master volume? Just a guess.

[​IMG]

17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

The necks on the MIMs are much more consistent.

That said, if you’re doing a Micawber, save yourself a headache and get an MJT body. I started down the Micawber rabbit hole with a Squier. It sounded fine, but then I realized I was putting premium components into a Squier. So, I found an MJT body and a road worn Tele neck. Much better and would have been a lot less expensive if I’d just gone that route from the git go. Because, you’re eventually going to want the Armadillo bridge, a decent PAF, probably a Duncan lap steel, etc.

18. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Mine is a made in China 2015, pine body cv50. I like it a lot but thought the neck was too thin. I just put a mim fender 51 U fat neck on it this last week and I am liking it more now. I’m impressed by the overall quality of the modern Squiers.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.