Classic vibe? something else?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MrDan1974, Jul 4, 2014.

1. MrDan1974

MrDan1974 TDPRI Member

Hello, I find myself yearning for guitar related satisfaction once more but without the means to finance anything up to the standards of which I had previously been used to..
    Which now leads me to my question. I need a guitar, just one, to last me..it needs to be sturdy as soon I will move back to my house in Thailand, where the humidity is extreme so that rules out trems, semi acoustics and Gibson-esque weak spots. I concluded that a tele would be perfect, very strong and with that wonderful raunchy Wilco Johnson tone. My financial situation is dire so that rules out the USA AV series that I lust after but I don´t think that I´d be satisfied with an Affinity, plus I really want that vintage spec and look but I fear that the pine bodies of the CV series may be too soft? Strap buttons ripping out etc? So I am seriously considering the Squier CVC as a modding base for a lifetime companion at a reasonable cost. Do you think I am barking up the correct tree....what are my options?

2. jtelecaster62

jtelecaster62 Tele-Meister

Classic Vibe = Great Guitar (right out of the box)

3. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

CVC is a real nice Tele and mostly well thought of around here. Great for modding or leaving stock. Neck although immaculate is on the thinner side for some, but otherwise huge bang for your buck.

Go for it!

4. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I'll offer a contrary view . . . get a really nice used MIM tele . . . I had a CV for a while, and it's a nice guitar, but I'd take a nice Nashville or classic 50s or even a standard tele over the CV.

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't fear the softness of a pine body if I were you. They aren't that soft. But as a base model to do some modifications on you couldn't do better than a CVC if that's a look you like.

I picked up a used one about three years ago and have since installed Wilde Keystone pickups, a 4-way switch, Fender compensated brass saddles, and most recently the neck from a Nashville Deluxe which is my favorite neck profile. All of this turned a very good guitar into an amazing one both sonically and aesthetically.

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Hopefully you went and bought one and aren't stripping the
    Nashcaster down..... Y I K E S ! :eek: :lol:

Yep, CV's are a unbelieveable value for the money !!

and the CVC's look killer with the binding and all.

Mine ( and I have a CV Thinline as well, LOVE IT !!)

Attached Files:

7. none_user

none_user TDPRI Member

If only there was also a maple fretboar also on the CVC... OMG! :rolleyes:

8. sjtalon

That may be what soulman bought, the Nashcaster ( Nashville-Nocaster conversion) he owns has a maple f/b neck.

Maybe if he knows how to run a camera, he can post a pic of this CVC/Nashville neck he's braggin' 'bout.

9. sjtalon

He's a Fender Standard (MIM). Myself, I like the R/W for looks with the Sunbursts. On my CV Thinline, I think I would like the r/w as well.............some have done that.

[​IMG]

10. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

I was so blown away by the Fender Squier Classic Vibe Custom that I bought a second one, and now own two. Unbelievable guitar. On the average higher build quality than... ( I won't get controversial)
    The neck pickup is very nice. The bridge pickup is a little thin. Electronics hardware is not the best but has provided zero problems so far.
    I heard one with a set of Lollars on it and it outperformed... (I won't get controversial again)
    The CV50 is another one with a different feel though. The maple neck gives it a snap and pop type of playing technique, whereas the Classic Vibe with the rosewood neck provides a deeper tone, and a smoother style.
    Love them all. Notice Guitar Center stopped carrying the Squier CV50 on the showroom floor. They were available for order only. They kept them in the warehouse so people wouldn't be able to play them on the floor. Know why? They would rather sell more expensive guitars, and the Classic Vibe series competes too well for a crazy little amount of money.
    The third picture is of my 1966 Tele that I cherry picked and bought brand new back in 66. The CVC reminds me very strongly of that guitar. Okay there is a different neck radius, and the truss rod adjusts from the heel of the neck instead of in the headstock, the fret height is .030" on the 66, and .035 on the CVC, but what I am referring to is it has the same feel, and magic of my 66 hence the name "Classic Vibe".
    I borrowed the photo of the Classic Vibe Custom with rosewood board. I just loved that photo so much. The other two are my CV50's.

Attached Files:

11. Awake

Awake Tele-Meister

I loved the classic vibe so much that I specifically sought out those pickups for my thinline build.

12. jtelecaster62

jtelecaster62 Tele-Meister

I've owned three Classic Vibes (2010 ~ Current), a 2013 Road Worn '50s Blonde, a 2011 Japanese TL62-US and a 2011 AM STD. The CVs rank among my favorites... right up at the top, and that's the honest truth.

My latest one:

[​IMG]

13. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

My CVC is all the tele I will ever need, unless I get a 70's dual humbucker tele custom style one, or a true vintage one. I'm happy with my CVC even just bone stock. It's all my skills deserve as of now...

14. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

I cant say enough about the CV... One of my favorite all around Telecasters period. I love the necks on the CV50s probably the best fitting neck that I have found for my hands and I totally love the stock bridge pickup.. the stock bridge pickup blows away any of the MIM series telecasters and honestly I like it better then the pickups on the AM standard.. Only one I like better is the 52 reissue.

15. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Forgot mine happenes to have a partially flamed neck that's flamed on the sides but not in the center, very very cool looking....

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

The CVC you're thinking about isn't a pine body, it's alder. I don't have one, but I do have a Blonde (that one's pine) and a Thinline, and both are quite nice.

17. MrDan1974

MrDan1974 TDPRI Member

Thank you everyone for your input! I think my decision is made...I just wanted a great value tele, where the wood components are A1 and over time I could mod all the hardware and electrics. I know that this is not necessary but if the CVC is as good as everyone is saying, I´m sure it could transform an already great guitar into something truly fantastic...a companion for life! I´m seriously considering the Keystones as replacement pups but what about the Fender CS Nocasters? I´m looking for that real throaty, raunchy, ´open´sounding, vintage tele tone...some of the pups I´ve heard have too much output and I´d prefer to let the amp do the work. Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  18. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

It surely will be a companion for life.
    I'll never give away my 50s. It's a very fine instrument out of the box. There is no need to upgrade it. It's more a matter of personal taste...

19. sjtalon

They are quite similar in a lot of ways. I have had both, (now Keystone Dlx) but am not good at describing tone.

One thing I can say for single coils, Keystones are VERY quiet (near no buzz/hum) !!

Hopefully soulman will chime in again as he can explain it better than I.

Myself, setting up a guitar I would go with the Keystones for sure and not just because they are less money.

and PUT A 4 WAY IN !

20. MrDan1974

MrDan1974 TDPRI Member

Ah yes! Definitely a 4 way...cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.