Classic Vibe or ESP LTD TE-212?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mcove, Sep 17, 2013.

Which one should I buy?

1. Squier Classic Vibe Tele

45 vote(s)
    58.4%
  2. ESP LTD TE-212

32 vote(s)
    41.6%
  1. mcove

mcove NEW MEMBER!

I am on the verge of buying my first electric guitar (played only acoustic for quite a few years).
    I definetely want a tele and I dont want to spend more than £350. Don't want a used one.

The obvious choice would be Squier CV 50s which I really like and thanks to this forum, youtube and guitar magazines I am confident it is great beginner guitar.

However I have stumbled upon this ESP LTD TE-212 model and I am at crossroads.

http://espguitars.co.uk/guitars-ltd-te.html
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/standard-guitars/241176-ngd-esp-ltd-te-212-telecaster-content.html

I have spent a few days browsing the internet trying to find any info and reviews of LTD TE-212 and though there is not many, those I have found are all really positive.

I summarised the pros and cons below based on my comparison of CV and LTD TE

LTD Pros
    - 6 saddle (easier to intonate)
    - Humbucker on the neck making it more versatile (although there is a UK exclusive SS model too)
    - Does look really cool (that's just my personal taste, I guess)
    - Slightly cheaper (by £40)

LTD Cons

- does not sound like Tele (not sure about it)
    - not much information available, very limited sample size
    - very low sales rank compared to CV

I am kind of leaning towards buying LTD now based on the above but would really appreciate some advice from forum members.

Thanks

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I'd go for the CV if you want a tele... no experience with the LTD personally but I would assume the pickups aren't going to have that same Fender tele sound. But lowers LTDs generally are good guitars, especially for a beginner.

3. superfuzz03

superfuzz03 Tele-Meister

I liked the LTD's over the CV's, specifically the necks. I found the CV necks to be slim and sticky in comparison. However the CV's sounded better, but I went into my search knowing I was putting Fender OV's (my favorite pickups!) in no matter what guitar I bought so I didn't spend much time comparing pickups.

I should point out that the ESP models I tried were 202's, which I believe are the same as the 212's aside from the finish. Either way, I think you're getting a quality guitar, hope you can try a few and find one that speaks to you. Best of luck on your hunt!

4. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

I haven't tried a LTD, though they look really nice.
    I can only say that I have a CV50's BSB and it is a great guitar, has the Fender sound, a great spec and really well finished.
    Also I would have thought that parts would be more easily interchangeable between Fender and Squier.
    Have you looked on YouTube for any videos/comparisons? I find these really useful.

5. dnauheim

dnauheim Tele-Meister

Classic Vibe is an awesome guitar. The LTD, is good but does not knock it out of the park.

6. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

7. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

£350?
    Used Baja tele. Be patient and check gumtree and ebay and you'll pick one up for that and in my opinion its twice the guitar or either option you are looking at

8. Drewsome007

Drewsome007 Tele-Meister

Too bad, you can find great deals used if you take the time to look. However I can understand wanting a brand new guitar as well. I voted for the CV because I have played a few and they are great guitars, I opted for the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special due to the chunkier Jazzmaster neck but both guitars are very similar, and I love mine. I will say I have seen similar LTD "tele's" in stores and they don't look half bad but I've never plugged one in.

9. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

The LTD is a better built guitar, if that matters.

10. mcove

mcove NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for all your comments. Not really making my choice much easier.
    But it seems there is a consensus that CV probably sounds more like real Tele and LTD might be a winner in terms of build quality.
    One thing which worries me about LTD though is that despite it has been on the market for almost a year it did not make a splash. Not many people know much or anything about it.
    CV 50s is conversely a big star and consistently in the top ranks of budget electric guitars.

11. yardleyboy

yardleyboy Tele-Meister

There is NOTHING sub standard about the build quality of the CV
    I have 2
    Lovely guitars
    I also own guitars costing £1200 and £3000 and am happy to play the CV's
    Really good PUPs too
    Dont have an opinion about the LTD guitars as I have never played one

TelecasterCV2016 likes this.
  12. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

I would go with the CV. Tried the LTD; tuners were pretty crappy. Maybe I got a dud, but who knows? Every CV I've played on the other hand, have been excellent.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Since you've got years of guitar experience, I would save a bit more for a MIM tele. You won't regret it. I found a "return" FSR for $400 about 8 months ago. Best decision I've made on a guitar.

14. z1990z

z1990z TDPRI Member

Not Impressed with Mexican Fender Products

I too am in the Tele market. I really like what I see with the CV Tele's and Strats. I owned a very nice looking Mexi Road House strat at one time. Maple neck w/ texas specials. Brand new from the factory. Had issues with dead spots on the neck and they stripped the hole for the trem on the bridge. So mad with that guitar that I sold it. Have an Asian made standard squire strat.. blows that mexi away and half the price. Also own an Indonesian made Ibanez RG and that thing is perfect. CV's are mexi made right? ESP is Chinese made. Sad to say that Asian imports are a good step ahead of the Mexican made ones. At least on the ones I have seen. I will play a CV again... ESP makes a damn fine instrument. I like the big neck and big frets. ESP is a modern take on the tele and their strat series is the same. Purists will stay away from ESP I would bet. Its all in what your after...

I did play an American Special Strat and that was incredible but Fender has that guitar at 900 bucks now. So much for the decent priced American made Strat. The Nitro series Strat is a nice guitar too but is still 7-800. For 350.00 the ESP is a really nice option to have.

15. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

I own a CV but I really liked the look of that red ESP.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  16. TheBoss1983

TheBoss1983 Tele-Meister

I own a CV myself. Great guitar and real vintage sounding!

A LTD would be a winner in terms of built-quality? The build good guitars but every single CV I played was simply great...

17. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

I think the ESP looks good. Everyone has a Squier CV (myself included). Might be nice to get something most people don't have.

Out of interest, does the ESP have Fender neck dimensions, i.e the heel width etc?

18. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I voted LTD because I am an LTD fan. Its hard to vote against a CV though...

19. grant53

grant53 TDPRI Member

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

As it will be your first electric guitar, I'd say go for the CV Tele.

From the start, it will set you on the right tracks to get to know of all the good things in Telecasters.
    vintage style tuners, 3-barrel bridge, vintage sounding AlNiCo _ _ pickups, interchangeable Fender parts, fit & finish....etc

also once the bug has bitten, hardly any Tele picker leaves it at only one Tele, so I can clearly see an LTD further down the road

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.