Classic Vibe Necks - WTF?!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jshape, Jun 17, 2019.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Personally, I would own multiple CVs if they simply said Fender on the headstock. I do own a Squier, but it's not a selling point to own a Squier, and it's not a guitar I would gig with. If they had printed a different word on the headstock, I bet they'd have sold twice as many.

2. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

That's interesting. Before joining this forum, I would have felt the same way - wanting my headstock to say "Fender" instead of "Squier". But now I own a Squier and I have zero desire to change that. The guitar plays wonderfully and I'm really enjoying how versatile the Tele is for doing upgrades and personalized touches (although I suspect all modern electric guitars lend themselves to this). If/when I gig, I have no qualms about playing in front of a packed bar (if that ever happens again!) while sporting my Squier. For me, it's all about the music and the enjoyment. Someday I might get an actual Fender - but it won't be because I want the name, it'll be because my skills have progressed to the point where I've outgrown my Squier and need a better guitar. That won't be for a long, long time, I suspect! :)

TeleToneTony likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's a vintage-looking (basically) guitar built to a low price point and sold mostly to novice players. That's not to say a lot of good players use them, etc. - but it's not intended to be a recreation of a classic guitar. It just kinda has that "vibe" while still being a price leader in its category. I've never owned one but the ones I have seen do look pretty good for the price. I couldn't do the little necks though.

4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I understand and agree to a point.

But I can't lie - if I see a guy on stage playing a lower grade instrument or any kind, I assume he's not that serious. I can accept that maybe the "issue" is entirely in my head, but it's still there...

I'll add that I have a Partscaster I'd play onstage without hesitation. It has a blank headstock.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  5. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I and can understand and agree with you - because I'm no professional by any means. It's been (hang on... doing the math...) 32 years since I played in front of anyone (mind you, I have sung in front of a bar crowd in the last few years) so I likely don't have that sensitivity to corollate the brand of guitar to how serious the player is. Still... stand by my statement that I would play in front of a bar crowd with my Squier... for now! :)

drmordo likes this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

There's a bloke local me to plays a Fender custom shop down the pub in a ****ty blues band, every time I see him on stage I just think '*****'

I think it's fantastic when I see some band killing it with a bunch of cheaper gear.

CajunJ, 68Telebass and BBQedIguana like this.
  7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Well, I agree with this as well up to a point. First, if the music sucks, it doesn't matter what gear they play. Second, Custom Shop or even Signature series can be poser-ish IMO if they are too obvious. There was a pretty good bar band I saw years ago and the guitarist played a SRV Signature Model, which I thought was incredibly lame. If he played a Sig that just looked like a normal Strat, that's one thing, but a fully relic'd copy of a famous guitar is pretty weak IMO.

I guess the real question in my mind is whether a Squier is "professional grade" gear. I guess I'm biased because I remember when they were first introduced it it was clearly a move to market cheaper Asian-made guitars under a Fender-ish name. Much like Epiphone, it meant accepting a lower grade guitar rather than investing in your art.

Here's the thing - I love cheap guitars. I have a few nice ones, but I have far more cheapos. I love my Ibanez guitars, for example, and I wouldn't hesitate to gig them. But ultimately playing a Squier or an Epiphone just shows a lack of commitment when a step up to a Fender is only a bit more money.

I don't mean to make y'all mad, and I freely admit this is an unfair interpretation on my part and that Squier guitars are fine guitars. It is a perception bias on my part. But I bet I'm not the only one.

Look, I apologize for derailing the thread. I started COVID drinking early today, so my judgment is somewhat impared. Like I said, it's all a perception on my part that I probly should not have aired. I'm going to recuse myself.

Like I said, CVs are fine guitars, and I've considered buying one more than once.

BBQedIguana likes this.
  8. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm. This IS the Squier forum... !

I think the CV line is excellent for an under 500 USD guitar...some folks play recreationally for fun aside from their “real job”..Having only Fender or Gibson guitars just doesn’t make sense to some of us when we can have a few Squires or Epiphones in our “herd” to keep things fresh and exciting! I have a couple of Fender basses, and a Rick 330 guitar, but when I do the occasional gig with our little health center Rez band, I usually grab my Epi EB-3 or my long scale Squier Jaguar P/J bass.

With the low price point of the Squiers, I can have a Jazzmaster, a 50s CV Strat with great AlNiCo III pickups, a 72 Tele Thinline with (fake) WRHBs (which actually sound pretty good to me...) and a $50 pawnshop hardtail Strat from 2006 that I’m swapping in a Wilkinson equipped loaded pickguard for s$&ts and giggles!

I also don’t have to worry as much about “losing” a Fender at a gig, although my VM Jag Bass is no longer made and would bum me out A LOT!!

Oh...recently pulled trigger on a new Ibanez Talman Bass - minty green, active EQ, maple fretboard. Looks killer- I’m throwing black Rotosound tapewounds on it...and UNDER 200USD with the sale happening at Presidents Day...how could I NOT??? I’ll be gigging that one after this lockdown eases up. Maybe next year??? (Hope not!!)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    zippofan, Fearnot and drmordo like this.
  9. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

That's really petty. Why not scrape the logo off and add a fender decal?

10. guitarist232345

This is a really stupid opinion. I can point out several Squier players who are probably better players than you. Do they show a lack of commitment? It's not what you play - it's how you play. In fact, I'd argue the ones on stage with Squiers are "realer" players than people with your mindset as they just don't give a damn, as should be the general perception.

The reality is if you get a Squier and strip out the Asian electronics, you can replace them to have a guitar akin to a MIM Fender at a much lower price.

You haven't even had one so maybe before you voice this ridiculous opinion, go out and buy one to see what everyone is raving about. Saying stuff like this just outs you as someone with an irrational, dated mindset, because these instruments are widely accepted now. As I said, if you're really that insecure about what the headstock says, you can strip the decal off and replace it with a Fender one to show how committed you are. Everyone will then look at you knowing your "commitment" to guitar without knowing it's a Squier.

Mr Gunny and beagle like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The Classic Vibe Teles are nice guitars. I chose mine over MIM and MIA, after trying them all, because of the way it played, not because of what it said on the headstock or the price. The rest is just elitist BS.

And they are all imports here, so that doesn't wash either.

Jlwctn, TeleToneTony, mally and 5 others like this.
  12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

No shim. It fit nicely.

TeleToneTony likes this.
  13. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

I have a $700 Fender and a $300 used CV and the Fender is for sale. As far as saying someone playing a Squier live isn’t “committed” enough, well, they’re gigging aren’t they? By that logic I guess if they had a different sticker on the headstock, they would be more “committed” and would be better players, right? For now they’re just a lazy Squier player. What a shame. Only if they had $200 more dollars they could have been so much better!

14. guitarist232345

I think this is just a generational mindset TBH. It's rare I'll see people over 35 with a Squier - those under 30/35 generally have more positive PoVs on the brand. I get why they have it because when Squier came out it was 'budget fender', but now it's strong enough to stand alone if you get a CV. Younger people weren't around when it arose and now that Squier is a stronger brand, there is no reason for the mindset. When I see older players without the 'only American' mindset, I respect them a lot for being open minded on the Asian models.

Thing about my CV is it is the right price. If I ding it I don't care too much as it's priced perfectly. With my instruments over the MiM price tag I care when I ding them because they're so pricey. With CV you get quality and affordability.

I really think some of the more limited CVs will hold their value for a while if not gain value. The Cabronita Baritone Squier guitar for example rose in value due to its rarity and the band LOATHE using them which made everyone else want one.

If my Vintage White Esquire isn't re-produced anytime soon, I can imagine it will become quite desirable due to how limited it is.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    68Telebass and CajunJ like this.
  15. 68Telebass

I think you’re correct for some folks out there...I’m old enough (56 last week...HELP!!!) to remember the first Squire I saw and got to noodle around on- it was in 1995, and I was NOT impressed. Of course it wasn’t set up very well etc etc-

When my wife started to show an interest in guitar in 2014, I got her a Rogue lefty acoustic for $99- she enjoyed that so much I got her a Squire Affinity Tele about a month in- she LOVED it, and I was impressed as well- I then got my Squier VM Jag Bass...and then I was hooked. So much more info out now, and different “levels” of Squier out there, that I’m a firm fan- need to get me a standard Tele myself, and looking at Bullet vs Affinity, and leaning towards Bullet because I know I can mod and tweak it myself to get an axe that punches far above the cost of admission!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    guitarist232345 and CajunJ like this.
  16. guitarist232345

Yess thank you, I think you're right. When they first came out they weren't great quality but that's changed now. Older players just gotta give them a chance :)

17. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

Have you ever handled a AVRI 57 reissue? Pretty small and very on par with CV's. As for the trussrod adjustment - that is a HUGE plus to me, something Fender should've moved to decades ago. Heel adjust is terrible in every way.

The indonesian made stuff is thicker than chinese CV stuff.

I have no issue with the poly, I like slick necks... what I DO have a problem with, is they don't tint the VM's as nicely as the CV's but who am I to ***** about it when they are basically giving them away compared to the usually inferior USA stuff?

18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Well maybe it isn't 'professional grade' but most guitar players aren't professionals.... I have friends in touring bands that aren't professional in that sense, when they get home they have to get a job to keep things going. It's far more likely a dentist (sorry to use a cliché) who only noodles around at home is in a position to buy an expensive guitar than a musician in a lot of cases. 'Commitment' to me is about learning the songs properly, turning up when you are supposed to turn up, helping in the organization of things etc... that's the 'investment in your art' that really matters, not owning a guitar worth X amount from a particular brand.

CajunJ and BBQedIguana like this.
  19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I picked up this CV50s Tele the other day and it's super nice. It's got BYO Twister pickups in it and they sound great. I thought about swapping out the neck for something less "orange" but then I looked at it hanging on the wall next to my other guitars and it's really not that different from them. Certainly not different enough to warrant a change as it's a wonderful feeling neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the neck on my American Professional Strat.

[​IMG]

Jlwctn, 68Telebass, zippofan and 3 others like this.
  20. 68Telebass

that is a great CV50s with that white see thru finish! Grain looks great- nice!!!!

that’s sort of what I’m looking for! Got to keep my “eyes on the package”...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.