Classic Vibe Necks - WTF?!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jshape, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

The poly on the CV neck has its own gravitational attraction. Coupled with low wide frets, it makes bending a royal pita.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Both my CV's have wood inserts and i think the OP may be mistaken because they can be pretty dark. If u look at the ones on a MIM standard u will see what the plastic inserts look like. As to size, my CV 60s strats neck is the same size as my MIM classic 60s and actually a tad thicker at the nut. My CV 50s tele is thinker then that even. I actually love them both to the point they are all i play now. I also prefer poly and find the finish no thicker or different than my MIM or any of the 5 or 6 MIM classic series i've had. And while i usually hate headstock adjusters, it's not because i don't like the adjustment there, it's because many like the MIA standard fenders and variants have those heavier biflex rods and that does things i hate to the tone. But the CV's use a vintage style small single rod thats basically like vintage but reversed which is a good thing for adjustment.

Of course some of this stuff is entirely subjective so if the OP hates em thats understandable. I absolutely love them to the point i think i prefer them to most every strat and tele i have ever owned, and trust me, thats a lot to put it mildly.

blueruins, tubelectron and stax like this.
  3. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

What is this "insert" you guys are talking about?.
    Al

4. fender4life

He was referring to the truss rod adjustment at the head stock and how they line the hole with plastic on some, tho like i said mine are wood.

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I seem to have a “Goldilocks” neck thickness and profile that the roadworn tele hits on the nose, and I’d rather err on the side of too thick rather than too thin. BUT, I’m not as picky as many and when I’ve had CV teles (I’ve had two each fairly briefly), the neck never bothered me. But to each their own - it’s obviously a subjective thing. They’re amazing $400 guitars, but they ARE still $400 guitars. I don’t think they cost you much at all in quality, but they do cost a fair bit in terms of choice...

soulman969 likes this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

One thing I've noticed about budget guitars (I own a few SX, Agile, Harley Benton, Squier...), t-styles specifically is that all the RW board necks seem to be thinner than their maple versions. I'll use the Squier & SX as an example. The CVC is said to be thinner (read here) than its maple brother the CV, & all the RW board SX Furrian necks that I got from Rondo are as well. The maples in that line varies, but at least you get surprised by a pretty meaty one on some models. It seems the China/Indonesia manufacturers just dont know or care, not that its gonna set the industry on its head. Just an observation.

Come to think of it, I have an old SJM with RW and a STL62 still in a box. I'll have to compare those with my more current cheaps.

...sorry, I dont know what the point of my rambling is. Carry on.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I end up passing on (or returning) CV Squier and Epiphones as well due to the damned skinny necks.
    Not onl;y are they skinny but they seems squishier than they ought to be for being not shredder skinny, I'd guess because many are made from whatever maple or mahogany is cheapest, rather than strongest.

Of course buyers who want fatter stiffer necks are in the minority so those imports sell like hotcakes.

Sorry OP, yelling at clouds here.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Average out all the internet comments and in virtual reality they are more like $700 guitars.
    Sadly, physical reality controls physical reality no matter how many post that they are better than CS Fenders.

Talk is cheap and has no effect on the physical world...

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would class my CV way above the cheaper guitar bracket its price puts it in.
    I paid $220 bucks for mine delivered overseas, condition 2 customer return. It was just missing the tone knob.
    I have many guitars, all cost a lot more that my CV 50s but none play better. I prefer a nitro finish and tru oil finished necks, roasted neck etc but despite that my CV50's is my favorite guitar to play. The neck is super stable, on par with my roasted maple neck. The CV is my lightest tele, just over 6 pounds. The neck is great, perfect functionality for easy heavy bending etc. Feels very comfortable and has no limitations.

The only negatives are cosmetic as in it says squier on the headstock and many hear with their eyes so presume the guitar is somehow inferior to more expensive models. The feel and function of the guitar override the branding and ideal finish for me. Mine has a lil 59 in the bridge and I put a nickel electrosocket on it with switchcraft jack. Besides that it has stock wiring, tuners etc and has been fine with that for over 7 years of daily use now. I could change it to thicker wiring etc but I wouldn't hear any difference and it works fine as is so I haven't bothered to. The wire is either making a connection or its not. The gauge makes no difference imo. Look at how thin pickup wire is. The lil 59 has around the same connect wire thickness as the guitars wiring.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    soulman969 likes this.
  10. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Why would anyone prefer the truss rod adjustment at the body end?

Vermoulian and tubelectron like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Authentic vintage looks. The CV neck I have is so stable that it could have had a heel truss rod adjustment and it would make no difference once set up. I think I have adjusted it once in over 7 years and that includes flying with it from Australia to UK, Middle east, wildly varying climates and temperatures.

12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

It’s a relative thing. Yeah, I agree that the CV has the quality you’d expect in a $700 guitar. But some of the $800-900 MIM models, with a $200 plek / setup plays like you’d expect a $2000 guitar to play. So, you know, there’s a LOT of value out there today, in the age of CNC manufacturing.

But I guess the key point for me is there are quite a few $700-$900 MIM guitars to choose from, with different necks, pickups, switching, etc, etc, etc to choose from. and there are really only a couple of CV models to choose from and they’re almost identical. So, if they fit your preferences, they’re an incredible value, but if the limited choices don’t fit your preferences, it’s kind of irrelevant how good a value they are...

soulman969 likes this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I'll admit that I prefer the look of a clean headstock without truss rod access, but I hate actually adjusting it at the heel. Access at the headstock is so much better when you need it. You could spend big bucks on one of those necks with the adjustment on the side of the heel, but it might be better use of your money to buy a different guitar.

BTW, I consider the necks to be the best part of certain CV models. My 60's CV neck certainly isn't smaller than my MIJ Fender 62 RI & I like the taller frets with 9.5 radius.

My 60's CV Tele had a better quality body than my 80's MIJ Fender Tele 60's Custom

Like Chunkocaster said, it's Vintage Vibe not Vintage Specs. Great value for the price.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    soulman969 and Chunkocaster like this.
  14. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

The cv necks are definitely thin.

It makes "thumb over" barre chords super easy.

tubelectron likes this.
  15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

They could have at least made them a soft V. Those skinny necks are hand killers.

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

The headstock end adjustment looks ugly to me, I like the look of it fresh and clean. Less wood to remove at the headstock fretboard junction too. But that's nitpicking. I'm fine with either one, and only prefer the body end because of tradition when given a choice.

17. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

For some people they are. But if MOST people didn't prefer skinny necks, I seriously doubt that's how Squier / Fender would have spec'd the CV the way they did. All of the "modern C" on lots of MIM and MIA guitars are pretty skinny as well. I think those of us who like fatter necks are in the minority...

18. fender4life

It should be mentioned that the CVC 60s tele's neck is exceptionally thin. Much thinner than the other CVs. In fact, i find it to be the thinnest stock neck on any fender or fender style i have ever picked up. IMO crazy thin, and this coming from some one who likes necks on the thin side. So anyone judging the CV series necks after having owned that model should note that the rest of the models are a lot less thin. It's the reason i no longer have one. It would be an absolute must have for me if that neck were the same size as my current CVs.

19. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

The closest I have actually gotten to purchasing a CV and the one I played the most was a 60s Tele. Sunburst beauty, used for $300. The action was excellent and I liked the pickups a lot, I just could not bring myself to get over the SUPER thin neck - maybe the thinnest neck I've ever played, which despite the great action I just could not get comfortable with. Maybe this is why I'm somewhat soured now on CV necks on the whole. But maybe I'll try the 50s tele with maple and see if that feels better.

20. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

This must be the case - I have always preferred pretty fat necks, which is why I'm primarily a 50s-style LP player. I actually prefer the organic sound of Fender guitars, but usually the feel of Gibson-styles. It seems to be getting harder and harder to pick-up a modern Fender guitar that has a neck that's even close to thick enough for me.

Controller likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.