Classic Vibe Necks - WTF?!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jshape, Jun 17, 2019.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

I have come so close several times now to pulling the trigger on a Classic Vibe. I've played the blonde Tele with maple neck, the sunburst Tele with rosewood, and sunburst Strat with rosewood. For the price the quality seems great on these and I've read some great things about them. All of the ones I've seen and played have great sounding pickups, nice finish and craftsmanship, and nice setup and playability.

However, the same thing has held me up every time from making the purchase or trade - the neck. Every one I've played has a thin, heavily poly finished neck with the truss rod access at the nut with the thick plastic insert. Deal-breaker for me. I just can't get past it. I know I could buy the Squier and then purchase a replacement neck with vintage specs - vintage thickness, heel-access truss rod, and lacquer finish. But that neck would cost almost as much as the entire guitar.

If they were really wanting to make these guitars have more of a vintage/"Classic" feel, I wonder why they did this. Everything else is vintage specs - tuners, bridge hardware, color options, etc. Surely it's not that big of a cost-cutter to put the truss access at the headstock vs heel and make the neck thinner. Are all models the same? Any suggestions on getting around this?

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They gave it the vintage vibe, not vintage specs.

I've had my 50's blond tele for about 8 years now and had to check the nut insert to see if it was plastic. I can't really tell what it is. It's cleared over and looks like ebony wood or plastic. Doesn't look like the standard cheapo plastic on lower models. The neck is not that thin either, guessing it's around .84 to .94 c.

You could buy one, sell the neck and replace it with an Allparts of your liking.
    Or you could write them a letter and ask them to redesign the model line to suit your preferences.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I love CV necks. Fave tele neck ever is my CV50s blonde.

My only quibble with them is the fret wire wears real fast. Mine's currently getting stainless installed. That should take care of that

4. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

If they did all of this for you exactly the way you want it, it would not be a a chinese made super affordable guitar, but something like a mim fender classic, or maybe a $14.000 custom shop

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My frets are near worn out, not sure if i'll replace the neck with another new CV neck or Allparts in the next year. Tough choice. The Allparts would look better but I do love the current neck and frets when not worn.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

It's kinda too late, really, now that the "golden age" of the CV is over.

Also, most people seem to want average necks (they are average), and most people want the truss rod where it's easy to adjust. FMIC made the CVs too well, well China did, in my opinion, but it was totally a good thing for the price.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The MIM Classic series Nitro finished guitars are $925. To expect that on a $400 Asian made guitar is ludicrous. And, I don't understand the problem you have with the headstock truss rod access. It's a major improvement over the dodgy heel access.

8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I used to have a CV Tele Custom neck on one of my partcasters. It was OK, but after five years I had worn down the frets some. Now I have a Musikraft neck on it, with custom profile, 9.5-12 compound radius, and stainless 6150 frets. It's much better.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what the plastic insert is, (?) But my poly necks with access at the headstock are what I want. Too thin may be a problem for me but my US and MIM poly necks dont feel too thin. MIM necks are my neck of choice and often $200 from Fender.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Those are the same beefs heard everywhere. I don't get it. It's an average thickness neck (.84 ish), as stated. You want thin (& narrow string spacing) look at the Squier Standard line. On another forum people are hollerin about guitar neck truss' that adjusts AT THE HEEL. It's just a "Vibe", not a RI.

I have a CVC & a CV (still in the box) & a Cab. The CVC has another V neck as I got a good deal on the loaded body. I lucked out & scored a used import neck sans frets, without finish, measures about .95, & has heel adjust. Clicks all your boxes. I'm debating on putting it on the CV & selling the original but am in no hurry.

Plenty of good quality fat necks out there that fit your needs.

soulman969 likes this.
  11. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

When was the golden age of the CV?

RiverDog likes this.
  12. bender66

$299?-$329 msrp years.

steadyriot and BorderRadio like this.
  13. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

This is why I eventually sold my CV 50s Tele. The thought of sanding the neck crossed my mind, but I ultimately decided I didn't want to bother. On hot, humid nights, that heavily glossed neck got too damn sticky.

14. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I honestly didn’t know a heel-adjustable truss rod was a desirable thing. I always viewed it as a sizable inconvenience. What’s the upside?

15. bender66

CLASSIC Vibe.

I never viewed one as inconvenient though. I like 'em.

brbadg likes this.
  16. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

But has their quality decreased with time? I have a 2009 one. Just curious.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire

In my opinion before IL fretboards, and definitely before production was moved to Indonesia. They early CVs might of had more flame necks available, and I’ve seen enough quartersawn necks to say that’s a perk of the ‘golden age’ too. And what Bender said about price.

soulman969 and GuitarKid like this.
  18. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

My classic vibe tele is the best guitar I’ve owned. That may not count for much as I’ve never dropped over a grand on ANY guitar but I’ve played a few of my friends pricier ones and my CV is just fine.

Also, I had a local *proper* luthier (he makes amazing $3000 guitars all by himself) do a set up and a few other things to a few of my guitars and when I got them back he said with some surprise in his voice “Hey that telecaster is a really nice guitar” while saying not a single thing about the $900 Hallmark of mine he had also worked on. He didn’t have to say a thing about either but I think it proves the point that there’s a reason CVs carry the rep they do. They’re fine guitars all around.

There’s plenty up for preference about necks and such but I have no problem with my CV neck. I like my J Mascis Jazzmaster neck even more but either way the two best necks I’ve played have been squiers.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Your post is damned amusing, actually.

You say "All of the ones I've seen and played have great sounding pickups, nice finish and craftsmanship, and nice setup and playability." and yet you've contrived trivial barriers to buying and playing one. I have no suggestions on getting around this. I assume your post is just a troll to incite conversation.

20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I ended up putting a Fender 50s Classic poly neck on mine.

NicDo, TwangerWannabe and soulman969 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.