Classic Vibe Jazzmaster pickguards

brenn

Tele-Afflicted
I got a daphne blue Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster a while back and I don't like the look of the tortoiseshell pickguard.

L66132000002000-00-600x600.jpg

What I want is to change that out to white.
vsG1Oqr.jpg

But the first white pickguard I ordered from Ebay didn't fit. It was listed as "3-Ply Jazzmaster Pickguard for Fender American USA White."

Does anybody know a good source or which other Jazzmaster pickguards will fit the Squier Classic Vibe. Also looking for cheap - it doesn't matter enough to blow $50 on a pickguard for a $299 guitar.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
There’s someone on Reverb (or at least there was a little over 2 years ago) that made pickguards specifically for the Vintage Modified series. No idea how these compare to the CV’s, but if anything is going to match, I’d guess it’s the VM’s. Back when I was looking at these they were a touch pricey and different colors/materials were subject to being unavailable for long stretches.

I simply got an AVRI pickguard for my VM. Two or three of the holes were perfect when I lined up the pick guard with the neck heel and thimble holes, and I just plugged a re-drilled the rest of the holes in the body.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
How far out was it? So long as the neck, bridge post and pickup holes are OK I would not worry about plugging and redrilling a few holes. When I put a new scratchplate on my Affinifty P-Bass all the screwholes had to be plugged and redrilled… but the neck / bridge / pickup fit was good.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
How far out was it? So long as the neck, bridge post and pickup holes are OK I would not worry about plugging and redrilling a few holes. When I put a new scratchplate on my Affinifty P-Bass all the screwholes had to be plugged and redrilled… but the neck / bridge / pickup fit was good.

The pick guard lined up perfectly re. the neck pocket/heel and the bridge thimbles. I guess that makes sense since neck and bridge position relative to each other is critical for the guitar to function re. tuning and intonation. All the electronics fit comfortably in their respective routs once mounted on the pickguard (and the pickup holes lined up perfectly with the pickups mounted on the body).

From that point there were literally just 2-3 screw holes the lined up with the screw holes in the body. On a huge pickguard like a JM's, with all the stuff that goes mounted to it, I feel like that's a lot of size and weight to put on 2-3 screws (and keep in mind that, while you can be reasonably sure some will line up, there's no guarantee of how may or where they'll be on the pickguard). So I'd be concerned that your pickguard won't sit flat at best (and may warp over time), and might fall out at worst. Also, if you use shielding tape or a plate on the back of the pickguard, that should make contact with the shielding tape/paint in the body; having only a few screws holding the pickguard on might make this difficult, and JM pickups can be noisy. Finally, I think it would look kinda junky, having just a few screws in and a bunch of exposed holes.

You said you've plugged/redrilled before, so I'm sure you know how simple and easy it is. I did mine with wood glue, toothpicks, a utility knife blade and a drill. I plugged the offending holes with glue-soaked toothpicks one night, trimmed the exposed ends the next morning, and drilled my new holes and mounted the pickguard that night.A mild pain in the butt, but worthwhile.

Good luck!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
The pick guard lined up perfectly re. the neck pocket/heel and the bridge thimbles. I guess that makes sense since neck and bridge position relative to each other is critical for the guitar to function re. tuning and intonation. All the electronics fit comfortably in their respective routs once mounted on the pickguard (and the pickup holes lined up perfectly with the pickups mounted on the body).

From that point there were literally just 2-3 screw holes the lined up with the screw holes in the body. On a huge pickguard like a JM's, with all the stuff that goes mounted to it, I feel like that's a lot of size and weight to put on 2-3 screws (and keep in mind that, while you can be reasonably sure some will line up, there's no guarantee of how may or where they'll be on the pickguard). So I'd be concerned that your pickguard won't sit flat at best (and may warp over time), and might fall out at worst. Also, if you use shielding tape or a plate on the back of the pickguard, that should make contact with the shielding tape/paint in the body; having only a few screws holding the pickguard on might make this difficult, and JM pickups can be noisy. Finally, I think it would look kinda junky, having just a few screws in and a bunch of exposed holes.

You said you've plugged/redrilled before, so I'm sure you know how simple and easy it is. I did mine with wood glue, toothpicks, a utility knife blade and a drill. I plugged the offending holes with glue-soaked toothpicks one night, trimmed the exposed ends the next morning, and drilled my new holes and mounted the pickguard that night.A mild pain in the butt, but worthwhile.

Good luck!
I'm not the OP, I was responding to the OP when he said "But the first white pickguard I ordered from Ebay didn't fit" not your post.. 🙂 and I surely wasn't recommending only fitting a few of the JM's 13 pickguard screws...