1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Vibe Fret Wire

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by harold h, Oct 17, 2013.

1. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I was in worlds largest retailer over the holiday, as they were having a
    "list" sale.

A young guy was trying a CV Tele, and I heard the salesguy say that he
    did not recommend he buy that, as they had soft fret wire that wears too
    fast. He implied he would only get a year or so before it needed the frets
    worked on, and fret work was not warrantied.

You might think he was trying to upsell, but I then heard the guy tell
    him that the $99 Bullet Teles they were selling had better fret wire. I
    think I heard him say it was due to them being made in Indonesia instead
    of China like the CV.

This whole thing sounded crazy to me, why would one line have softer
    frets than other lines? Wouldnt that kill sales?

Has anyone else heard of this?

2. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

I have to agree. I don't know much about the bullet frets. But the frets on my CV62, that I purchased new at Xmas 2012 are starting to show some wear. I'm only using it for hourly practice a few times week. Mind you that's using Beefy Slinkys 11/54, if it makes a difference.
    I'd say it'll be ready for a dressing sooner rather than later
    image-1216615470.jpg

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven't seen unusual wear on the CV neck BUT I can say that the fretwire on my Indonesian Squier 51's seems indestructible. One S-'51 neck I've played more than any others I have for 5 years barely shows any wear. In fact I put that neck on my CV50 after playing it for several years on the S-'51

4. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

That sort of sounds like what the guy was saying- that the Chinese CVs
    have softer wire than the Indo made models.

5. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

If you search this forum you will find some complaints about extremely soft frets and pu failure on Squier CV. The consensus seems to be that some batch at some point had problems of this kind but the vast majority work just fine.
    I had a CV50 for almost one year and I see that there is some fret wear, although not as pronounced as in the picture above. I don't know if it is more than it should be on average, maybe a bit but not something that makes me regret the purchase or affects set up or tuning. The whole guitar costs as much as a warmoth neck and to me it sounds amazing, which is what matters the most. If some work needs to be done in a year or so, or even if I have to replace the neck, it's still a guitar that I am happy to have. That said, I didn't try the Indonesian ones so maybe it's worth just buying those, but for $99 I would buy that just to take the neck and put it on the CV if necessary.
    I play a squier jazzmaster made in Indonesia and, even though it is an excellent guitar for its price, with a great tone and fun to play, I wish it was as good as the CV made in China in terms of overall quality and feel.

6. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The CVs do have very soft wire. I've found that the Allparts necks do as well although that may have changed recently. The CV frets are tall enough that you could dress them a few times before needing replacement.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The CV necks are Fender Spec and can be swapped with most other Fender necks, but I don't think that is the case with Squier Bullet guitars.

8. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

Oh! Good to know, thanks.

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure how true that statement is about the CV fret wire. I have worn big divots in the first few frets of my '52AVRI in 6-8 months. I use 9-46 gauge Ernie Balls. I think it has more to do with your technique and the style of music you play. If you're like me, are ham-fisted and play country with a lot of bends and digging in, they will wear out faster.

10. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I hate to say it, because I really like my CV50s Tele, but I think there's something to the soft wire assertion. That guitar's frets are flattening off considerably on top, while my other guitars with at least as much playing on them (Squier Deluxe Strat, Affinity Tele, Ibanez AS73 and Gibson SG) show no visible wear at all. A while back, I started stringing the CV with flatwounds with a wound G (intonate much better with the 3-saddle bridge, anyway), and the wear seems to have stopped. Probably because I don't do so much bending with the flatwounds.

11. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

According to the specs, 2 3/16 heel just like other Fenders.

12. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Frets are nickel silver alloy. They cannot withstand steel round wound strings. Those type strings are like a rasp or file. If you use pure nickel strings, the fret wear will lessen. Polishing the frets helps, too. It's friction that burnishes the frets. Polished frets have less friction points available.

Stainless frets last longer but sound a little different. You can use any string with them. I'd seriously consider this option if I was ever doing a re-fret.

13. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I had my first guitar (epiphone LP) refretted with ernie ball medium jumbo stainless steel fret wire about 4/5 years ago, I play the heck out of that guitar on a daily basis and there isn't even a blemish/mark on those frets yet, I never detected any change in tone from the old frets.

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

mine hasnt shown any wear after a year or two owning it. My 52RI on the other hand started showing wear after 6 months. I wouldnt listen to a salesman about anything. where is he getting this info from?

I just polished mine the other day
    (click to enlarge)
    CVC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    52RI
    [​IMG]

15. mrloshaw

mrloshaw TDPRI Member

Had mine less than a month, I play probably 6-10 hours a day, already seeing fret wear Screenshot_20200809_123907_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

16. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Whew!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.