1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic vibe custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by scottchris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Ritchie Rooster

Ritchie Rooster Tele-Meister

I've found NOTHING lacking in the P/U department that can't be handled by my little Vox AC15!

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I have the white Limited Edition and as I understand it, there are 250 each in white and black. I've had it about four months and in the first week the bridge pup died. I got a warrantee replacement and it died also so I stuck in a set of Nocasters I had in the drawer and while the tone remained very similar it seemed a bit more dynamic and rounded. In short, it brought this guitar alive!...I like it a lot. The Toneriders sounded very good (although apparently somewhat unreliable) I would recommend this as a required upgrade. So then the tone pot quit. Crap! says I. I ordered up a Jonseyblues prewired kit (all quality CTS, Switchcraft etc. with the four way). This is the good stuff folks and the best $75.00 I can remember spending for upgrades in recent memory. Seriously consider this one (or something similar) guys as it'll make your CV sound like the best that the Fender Custom Shop has to offer!

Edit: If you get the four way option, you'll have to ground position one which the included diagram doesn't show. Otherwise, you get a faint buzz. I grounded mine to the base of the neck pup and that fixed it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  3. Tele56

Tele56 Tele-Holic

Every time I see a CVC...GAS

4. jazzbow

jazzbow TDPRI Member

IMG_0307 (640x478).jpg
    Jazzed my Tele up, Vintage Vibe CC Rider pickup. This pickup was in another guitar and the Custom was bought s/h for £215 to fit it in.
    IMG_0332 (640x478).jpg
    This is the Bill Lawrence 5 way switch mod. This is a great mod for an extra sound from the neck pickup, the normal neck position has full tone control whereas the other neck position has the bass frequencies cut.
    IMG_0342.jpg
    It's got D'Ads flatwounds at the moment which make for a mellow ride for jazzy applications. With roundwounds the neck pickup overdrives really nicely.

The guitar has a date stamp for Nov 2010 and is well put together, the nut was 1/16th smaller than the slot it was in so I replaced it. The neck relief moves alot with the smallest of truss rod tweaks which isn't a big deal.

I'm going to change the the bridge pickup to one with an AlNiCo 2 magnet to match the VV CCR as the originals highs aren't to my tastes

I don't know whether any one else finds this but I can feel the whole guitar resonate with the strings, It's a great piece of kit overall and is worth the entrance price.

Attached Files:

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Great guitars , if you can live with the neck profile , yada-yada....
    My newest addition is the black CVC , I have put a black pg on it , and I like it a lot......Equally good as the other 3 ones I already have out of the box , but Im still tweaking it a bit , after its gotten a 4 way switch , and an electrosocket + a quality jack. Nothing wrong with the ALPHA pots in my world......
    BTW , its neck is a bit thicker than my sunburst CVC , for those that crave something a bit thicker

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Forgot to add about the pickups : The CVC a5 neck pickup are one of the finest neck pu´s I have ever used , and I think I prefer the bridge pu of the CV.

I like it so much , that I used one in my sunburst CVC. With a 4 way switch , the CV higher output pu´s work better in the 4´th position , if you are after the muddy neck pu humbucker sound , - great for slide work !

Dont get too hung up on what you read , any Tele bridge pu will change in character when you change the height-experiment !

My current new black CVC will have a second chance at band level before I change the bridge pu , it sounds great at home at lower levels so far

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

I really want the black one. when I bought mine I was looking for a black tele, the sunburst was close enough, and I couldnt put it down so I bought it. Then a few moths later they came out with the black one.

love mine. I have Fralin Stock pickups in it...twang city!

[​IMG]

if youre gonna mod start here:

[​IMG]

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

For $20 and a little of a guys time those pots and the switch are easily replaced by the exact same electronics you'd find in an MIA '62RI. In the quantity Fender buys in it would probably amount to a $10 upgrade at the factory but they don't want their Squier's to be too much like the MIA's. The other parts are all interchangeable so they use cheaper electronics.

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

No bad experiences

Mods
    Sanded down headstock. (Didn't like the black )
    Treble Bleed
    Strap locks
    Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and Vintage Stack pickups
    Push pull pot for series-parallel on the Hot Rails.
    Black pickguard.

Worth every penny. Love the neck. Nice light guitar. Looks totally badass and that Hot Rails pickup with push pull pot for series-parallel is so versatile.

[​IMG]

10. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Is this a Squier that you tricked out with a Fender decal?

11. Totally Bored

Yup. Didn't like the black headstock so I sanded it down and tinted it. But then I thought it looked naked so I stuck a Fender decal on it. It still says made in China on the back and sports the squier backplate.

12. purplegenie

purplegenie Tele-Meister

Why not get a Squier decal, since you had to get a decal anyway?

(And don't you love the treble bleed?)

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Man, that's one sweet CVC. You did a great job on that. I was looking to get that same body & put a fender 60s neck on there but couldn't find any sellers or stores willing to part one out. Was really hoping to have that double bound black custom w/ rw board look! Maybe next time?

14. Totally Bored

Why not get Use a Fender decal. I'm not trying to make it a Fender. It's says on the back.

Designed and Backed by
    Fender
    Crafted in China
    SN xxxxxxxxxx

And it has the Squier Backplate. When you order these stickers for $20 they send 10 decals. I figured that I'll take the Fender Decals. If the guitar said Squier on the front and had the natural wood instead of black paint I would have left it alone. I like the way it looks now with the Fender on the Front. People at gigs tell me that guitar is killer and then I show them the back and they're in amazement cause it's a Squier.

Love the treble bleed. I have them in all my Guitars.

15. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I love mine. I have a 4 way switch and a switchcraft jack with an electrosocket.
    On my Sunburst , I put in the bridge pu from a CV , but Im still using the stock ones in the black one.

Used it with the band yesterday , and even though I wasnt using one of the usual Super Reverbs , but a Classic 30 , I really liked it .

I have said it before but I really think the CVC neck pu is one of the nicest ones around.

I could use just a little bit more form the bridge pu.Its able to sound ok , but I have to hit a tiny, narrow sweet spot on the tone pot..... I think I have to dig out my EQ pedal , and use it when on the bridge pu......Could come in handy with other guitars , hmmmmm

16. shivamoon

shivamoon Tele-Meister

Where can these B&W ones be found? ( 'Cause I really want one!! )( I've got CVC sunburst and I LOVE IT! )

17. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

That Black Tele Looks AMAZING!!!! Love the white binding offsetting the black body!! NICE!!

18. Charless

Charless TDPRI Member

Love mine, amazing guitar for the money.
    Did the following mods:
    replaced the stock neck with a MIM Deluxe Nashville rosewood
    replaced the stock saddles with Rutters 2 brass and 1 aluminum
    kept the pups and stock bridge plate, both of good quality imo

sounds incredible with a very wooden tone, vintage IMO
    this is not a hot and heavy Tele, clear and twangy is the tone

Charlie

19. shivamoon

shivamoon Tele-Meister

Ah say, ah say, Where can I git one!!

Ah say, ah say, Where can I git one!! I've been all over the web, and I've never even seen ( a B&W ) one! BTW: On a slightly tangential topic, I've always heard that the CV series has the benefit on being totally "swappable" with standard vintage Fender parts...So, will the neck on my CVC fit all other CVs ( and beyond)? I know that some folks here don't like ( hate ) the CVC neck, but to me it is the HOLY GRAIL of Fender necks! I personally don't like maple fingerboards, I mean I think they are the sexiest things ever, as far as looks are concerned ( which is why I've had so many old teles with 'em (( like the one in my profile photo, from my 1970 album )) but when I try to bend lead notes on 'em I find they're just "too slippery". That bein' said, I love the look, and I'm a ****ty lead player anyway, so I'm mos' def' lookin' for a CV 50s Blond, most especially with a humbucker in the neck position, which is allegedly coming out in June...!! ) So, all you fellers out there who are hatin' them CVC necks, send 'em my way!

20. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

I have a BSB and a CVC..Both are just wonderfull guitars....!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.