1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster Mini review

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, May 6, 2014.

1. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Tele-Meister

So I'm off to a neighbouring Isle to visit a great guitar shop in a couple of weeks and I'm really interested in the Classic Vibe series Teles which they stock. I remembered this morning that the local smaller music shop had a custom in stock and as I had a bit ofr free time at lunch I thought I'd check it out as I'd never tried one before and it would give me a bit more of a base line when I visit the other music shop.

Thoughts:

Firstly, the price in this shop is too high for a Squire, £387 ($580) could buy me a lot more guitar (especially as I recently purchased a 2nd hand MIM standard for £150 ($225). The other shop has the 52 in both colours for £230 ($345) which is a great price.

Finish and quality: overall very good, a bit glossy with a cheesy tint on the neck (as per my MP Jag) but no sharp fret ends. It was light though which most people like although for me it didn't feel substantial, especially compared to my MIM and my MIA Telebration.

Feel: absolutely great, neck was awesome, and played like "I can't believe it's not butter" ;)

Sound: It's a Tele and sounded like one, not a lot of thickness in the neck pickup (it was quite a way down in the pickguard but with no adjustment screws) but all the twang you'd expect from the bridge. Put simply I was impressed. I was also really surprised by the pots which were great, they worked really well :eek:

All in, if it had been around the £250 ($375) mark I'd have bought it then and there and not bothered going to the other shop but as is it was, it was too high a price.

Final comment: If this Tele is a good representation of the this model range then I'm sold on the Classic vibe series and I'll be purchasing one soon and I will be proud to have a Squire in my collection!

Cheers all

Sacha

2. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

The Squier CVC custom 60s gets a lot of love around here and they generally are pretty consistent. They are good value for money as you say and yes that price is too high, for the mainland anyway! I have one and I like it a lot, not too far off the much dearer MIJ model in my opinion, cheaper materials yes, but nicely put together. They have a good tele bridge twang and by the way, you can adjust the neck pickup if you pop the pickguard off. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you find one at the right price, good luck with the purchase!

3. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Used the CVC is an outrageously good guitar , as is the CV BSB. The new prices are creeping up so used is great value.

4. TEENIEMCNEE

TEENIEMCNEE Tele-Meister

I just got one of these last Thursday for £300 ex demo (meaning it had been on the wall for 2 days and they gave it to me as it was the only one they had!) and it is wonderful. My first Tele and sounds like a proper one. I'm a bit smitten at the mo to be honest and I keep showing people pictures of it as if it is a new baby or something. I'll no doubt do a review in a couple of months when I have calmed down a wee bit! Have hardly put it down since I got it, which is actually not very practical.....

image-2979659961.jpg

Sorry. ..... Rambling a bit....

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Can't go wrong with the CVC! I love mine, it too was my first tele, and even prior to the Fezz Parka mod it was just lovely!

@McNee-you go right ahead and ramble!!!!! That's what lovin' your baby is all about!!!

G

6. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

I have the same exact Tele and I absolutely love it too! It's a great guitar overall. When the frets wear out I'll have my guitar guy refret it with slightly taller ones. I stopped playing my 60th anniversary because the CV sounds the way I want a Telecaster to sound like. I'm replacing the bridge on my 60th anniversary with a vintage style hopefully within a week and maybe that'll make me want to play it again. I also may buy another 60's CV Tele so I can have two, at $400 it's not too much money.

7. kedj11

kedj11 Tele-Meister

i own a CVC and my only complaint is that compared to my other Teles (a CS Nocaster and a '62 avri) the bridge pickup sounds thin so I will eventually (when I get around to it) be replacing that pickup with either a 62 avri or a Nocaster
    Otherwise it's a great little guitar for a great price

8. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

I have a CVC sunburst Too...Awesome piece...!!! A set of nocasters really made it come alive.

9. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

They seem to be a decent Guitar for the Money. But there a Tele. Why do some of them weigh more than a Les Paul?

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

all teles (us, CIJ, MIM, vintage, etc) vary in weight from about 6-9lbs
    my CVC weighs 8lbs even. Ive seen them at my GC as light as 7lbs and some here have lighter ones. they average around 8lbs, maybe 1/2lbs less even

11. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

I like the bridge pickup actually but have an OC Duff Whiteguard in it now and it's really a better pickup. The stock has a nice Bakersfield sound I think. The bridge was more of a simply fixed problem that was done the day a got it as I had a better one lying around.

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Same here. I messed with pup height & guitar/amp(s) settings galore but the CVC bridge pup was still thin to me. It's not that I don't like low output pups. My #1 is an AV62 Custom, and it's stock pup is my favorite place to play but it has 10X the tone of my CVC. YMMV.

Dropped a hotter Fender pup I bought in the classifieds into the CVC = voila! $25.00 fix!

13. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Hey Sacha, you got yourself a great guitar
    I have had mine for a couple of years and I am still amazed at what a great value it is. I keep mine in open G and it does the Keith sound very nicely.
    I am happy that these days we can buy a decent Tele at a reasonable price.

14. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Tele-Meister

Thanks Meric although I didn't actually buy it, I just tried it to see if I wanted one which I do but I'll probably be getting one of the blondes from another retailer in another island (trip planned in a couple of weeks) as they are a lot cheaper.

Watch this space! ;)

15. Vindibona

Vindibona TDPRI Member

With manufacturing techniques as advanced as they are Fender has to go out of their way to dumb down "lower end" guitars... but there is only so much they can do to keep them competitive with other manufacturers and importers. This is great news for those of us wanting decent musical instruments without breaking the bank. If we're talking about collectors' items that's a whole 'nother mindset altogether (Ask me about vintage violins and violas if you want to talk sticker shock. The prices will blow your mind).

Bottom line... I believe that if we can suppress our inner guitar snob we can find great instruments where we might not expect.

16. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

I just ordered another CV today, a blond 50's version, and I can't wait to get it. I sold my 60th anniversary American Tele because I couldn't get it to sound like I want a Telecaster to sound like. I tried 3 different bridge pickups too but my 60's CV's plays and sounds excellent so now I'm hoping the pine bodied 50's one will rock too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.