1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic vibe and new neck

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tarkus60, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

None of the things I do makes any sense lol....
    I bought a new classic vibe thinline with wide range humbuckers, sweetwater exclusive.
    Before I had a chance to bond with this guitar I installed a set of mojo tone wide range humbuckers not cheap and replaced the pots and wiring.

With all that I love the pickups and Hate the neck. I am a newbie for sure, but I know I hate the neck. It is to thin and tall frets are not my cup of tea.

I am in way over what this guitar is worth, and really don't care about that.
    Looking at replacing the neck.
    Any thoughts on a all parts neck? Or other brands?
    I found a American neck on ebay for 479.00....and a Player for 249.00 I think.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have you considered looking for a different guitar with a neck and pups you like? Until you know exactly what you want, how will you know what neck you want? I actually put a $65 unfinished rosewood Chinese neck on my VM 72 Thinline body. It has a Gibson scale and fretboard radius and it worked out superbly. But I knew what I wanted. Nothing wrong with your approach, though - as long as you are not interested in getting back the cash you put into it.

upload_2020-11-24_10-29-1.jpeg

68Telebass likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Look at Parklane Guitars. Steve made me a magnificent roasted flame maple neck for less than many of these Fender replacement necks.

0B8178AE-7FF8-4969-BCCC-889A2060FF22.jpeg FD4D4394-A94B-4C0E-9CE2-4B866546CF41.jpeg 58C6E957-DE16-4978-B106-E2432CC063E9.jpeg 48F2CFEC-E2B2-4129-B996-6C6C3B26F4E5.jpeg 874D1866-9F29-4A07-9A2C-23CE6E4BEDAA.jpeg C53552A7-A568-4FAE-822D-9F4A5BFCE068.jpeg

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

why don't you just take the pickups out, sell it and buy a used mim thinline? if it were the 69, you'd be screwed, but there are a lot of the 72's out there. if you still have the pickups, the pots and wiring shouldn't be too big of a loss. if it really bothers you letting go of some pots and wiring, just take the harness out and buy some cheap stuff from mouser to put in the squier.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  5. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I own a few guitars. But I recently purchase a 2009 American Standard strat so I love that neck.

6. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

thumbnail (1).jpg

68Telebass likes this.
  7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

just sell it and buy a guitar with the specc you want.

8. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

The neck makes a huge difference. I'd say keep your nice pickups, restore the Squier to its original form, and sell it. You could then get a cheap MIM used and put those pickups in. You'll probably be much happier, and you spend about the same as you would replacing the neck.

I was about ready to buy a Classic Vibe 50s telecaster in white blonde. I could buy one used, throw in some CS Nocaster pickups, and have a really great guitar for less than a new Player costs. Before buying, I played one in person and hated the neck. I ultimately ended up going with a stock Fender Vintera 50s in sonic blue. I really wanted to like the Squier (transparent white on a maple neck is my favorite finish for a tele, and Fender doesn't make much in that finish), but the Vintera is a keeper. Such a great neck.

gregulator450 likes this.
  9. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I like the guitar so... a Warmoth neck. Nice price!!!!!! Dark Indian rosewood with a nitro finish. No nut installed.
    Does a old guy like me need stainless steel frets?

10. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

well I mean, to be honest the neck is really the guitar. 450 for a body of squier standards is a really steep price. I have swapped necks on squier bodies in the past, but the “body“ only cost me about 200 bucks and the necks were ready to go. new necks aren’t ready to go, by the time you end up spending the money on fretwork and nut plus the cost of the neck, it’ll be like you bought another guitar. except you only have one guitar and a spare neck at the end of the day.

Nickfl likes this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I put a Baja neck on one of my CVs years ago. They’re hard to come by because people love them so much, but it totally transformed the guitar.

CVs are nice guitars stock and can be excellent with a few mods.

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

It does smell quite toothsome...

14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Probably don't need the SS frets but why not if you can afford them. I would have them install a good nut if possible.

Tarkus60 likes this.
  15. JoeBubbit

JoeBubbit TDPRI Member

16. El Tele Lobo

It took a while ha ha...extenuating circumstances for both of us…but it was worth the wait! Believe me…the fit and finish is immaculate, and as the pictures show, it’s a stunning-looking neck. The best neck I’ve ever played actually.

I see he’s temporarily suspended custom builds and is mainly building necks to his more standard specifications right now and listing them on his website as they become ready. I think he got backed up with custom builds over the last year (Not at all surprising considering both his prices and quality of his work) and, being a one-man operation, got a little buried.

The situation with my build was not at all typical… And believe me, he took care of me. I would recommend, if you are considering him, shoot him an email and ask him what his current leadtime is. Obviously, you can always go with one of the big neck makers if you need something sooner… But you won’t get a neck as nice as one of Steve’s and certainly not for the prices. I could’ve easily paid almost double what I paid for mine and not gotten as nice of a neck. I mean, I literally took it out of the box, bolted it up and it was ready to play. Action and relief was perfect… All I had to do was adjust my saddle heights and intonation. No truss rod tweaking, nut filing or fret work was needed. He personally adjusts, sets up and test plays every neck that goes out the door with a set of the same gauge strings as what you will use.

I custom specced mine with roasted flame maple, a 1-11/16” nut width, bone nut, stainless steel vintage (6230, I think) frets, a fat U-shaped profile and a 7.25” to 9.5” compound radius. It’s two-piece construction…so no skunk stripe to obscure that beautiful flame. I am officially sold on roasted maple as well as stainless frets.

I’m not affiliated with him, by the way. I’m just an extremely satisfied customer. And I will be a repeat customer… I have an esquire build on deck now and I’m just waiting to get my first x-ray job after I finish school in a couple weeks before I order a neck for it.

17. El Tele Lobo

Sorry Joe… Forgot to quote you above. I pasted the quote in, but I don’t know if it notifies you that way.

18. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I sent parklane guitars a message. His prices seem pretty good.
    Looks like a warmoth neck will still some work .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.