Classic Vibe 60s Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by FrostyMorn, Dec 9, 2019.

1. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Still a newbie in this space, I was checking out the variety of Telecasters at a local shop this weekend and found much to like about this model. The setup and playability was superior, at least to my hands, than the Vintera 50s and 60s models. The intonation was spot on up the neck, which I can't say about other Teles I've played. Some folks complain about the neck being too thin, but I disagree. I think it's a fine profile and actually quite accommodating to close-voiced, long left hand stretches that are part of the jazz repertoire. Add to that, the guitar sounds good.

What's wrong with this picture?

NicDo likes this.
  2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Nothing. These are fantastic guitars. Some of the necks were thinner than others - at least on the MIC iteration through 2018. But the pickups in those were excellent.

Do you know if the one you played was a 2018 MIC or a 2019 Indonesian model? Some subtle differences depending...

FrostyMorn likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong. I’ve found that to be the case a few times. In fact, the 50s classic Vibe I have holds its own with guitars far more expensive.

I know I got a good one, not every CV I’ve played has been as excellent. But I can safely say I have been playing Teles $2000 and up in local stores and either prefer my CV or just plain don’t think they were clearly superior to it.

FrostyMorn likes this.
  4. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Brand new Indonesian model. I know the fb material is different... so they say, but the one I played looked every bit like rosewood to me.

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Cool. Has a bone but too, and the narrow-tall frets (which I like better than the medium jumbos on the last run).

How did you like the pickups?

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have one plus an AV62RI Tele. The CVC is not the same but it’s a very nice guitar for the $. I did put an AV62 bridge pickup in mine because I didn’t like the stock one but other than that nothing. The neck profile does throw some people off and ain’t my favorite but if it works for you, good.

They are a great buy in my book.

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. theruley

theruley TDPRI Member

I was at a guitar store the other day and pretty much every sub-$2000 fender tele had fret sprout, ranging from kind-of tolerable to making the guitar completely unplayable.

my squire classic vibe tele cost half as much as fender’s cheapest offering and it has better fret work.

NicDo and naveed211 like this.
  8. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I use the neck pickup exclusively and when plugged into a 65 Princeton Reverb I thought it sounded very good. So good, I downsized to a SuperChamp X2 (what I have at home) and the guitar still delivered a compelling tone. I'm sure there are better and worse pickups, but I can't find anything to complain about.

Interesting to know that there are differences between older and new versions of this model. Must be the old edition had a very thin neck, because what is on this guitar is not too different in size from the standard American guitars.

9. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I think the only other difference are saddles (personal preference) and the body wood. Old ones were alder while the new ones are nato.

Given that the new ones are cheaper and offer the nut upgrade and my preferred frets, I’m intrigued even though they’re not alder. If you like the pickups and the weight/fit/finish and fretwork suit you, these are a bargain.

And this is just aesthetics, but I much prefer the headstock logo design on the new ones.

So, are you going back for it?

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The only comment I would make about the neck, is that MANY professional players, or those that play a lot, prefer a "fatter" neck to alleviate hand fatigue and cramping when playing a long gig. I, like many, never realized my thin-necked guitars were causing fatigue until I started playing a fat neck and noticed I wasn't having the problems anymore. But if it's good for you, I'm happy for you. With all you "skinny-neck" guys.....it just leaves more FAT ones for me! ;)

11. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I expect I will, given the encouraging responses here. I need to put on my familiar .011 set and the store (which is not GC) has a generous return policy if things don't work out.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  12. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Good luck. Hope it’s even better the next time you play it. We’ll look forward to the NGD post

FrostyMorn likes this.
  13. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

You are describing me! And you make a good point. As an acoustic guitar player for 40+ years and a semi-professional for some of that time I have evangelized about the ergonomic attributes of necks with full profiles. I think, for example, that the Modified V profile on some of the Martin guitars is as perfect as can be and I have played 2 hour solo instrumental gigs without fatigue on such a guitar. I've become interested in the fingerstyle jazz and when grabbing chords like the one in my avatar (Abmaj9 voiced 4x532x) , the thinner profile is definitely an asset. The neck on this CV has a more generous profile than a Gibson Byrdland... as I remember the Byrdland being, for example, so it's not the thinnest out there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I got mine (early run, Chinese made) from a GC near me for about 400 bucks. I could tell it was a "good one" the moment I picked it up. I feel like it was either previously sold then returned or was a favorite of somebody at the store. It had a bunch of fingerprints on it, was strung up with 10's, and set up perfectly.

The neck to me is a perfect 60's style "C" shape..not too thick, not too thin. The only upgrades I did were brass saddles, a bone nut, and a hotter bridge pickup. The stock neck pickup sounds glorious.

Even my more gear snobby friends can't seem to put it down once they start playing it.

FrostyMorn likes this.
  15. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

While I have your attention... I'd like to pick up a wrench for the truss rod. Would that be 5mm and does it need to be a ball end?

Edit: local guitar shop says 4mm for Indonesian Squiers.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  16. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Well, I once did a setup on a CV 60's (Made in China, in 2011) for a friend, and I can tell you I used a 5 mm (which, by the way came with the guitar). I can't speak about indonesian (post 2018) CVs, though. For the record, I own a (MIC) Squier CV P Bass, and the correct size is definitely 5 mm also.

17. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

4mm did the job for the Indonesian guitar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.