Classic Vibe: 50's vs Custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Adelbatross, Oct 15, 2014.

1. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Ok so...just sort of wingin' it right?

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Alnico magnets are just better magnets in the sense that they are stronger and can pick up the strings better from a greater distance. Sorry to hijack the thread with sort of useless info guys!

3. 5foot2

5foot2 Tele-Meister

I've had a blonde CV for 2-3 years now. I never took to the finish on the maple fretboard, so I swapped the CV neck out for a rosewood CVC neck. I also ran some 800 grit along the back of the neck. It's all smooth and silky now. The guitar doesn't get played much, but whenever I think maybe it should find a new owner I play it and change my mind.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

CV vintage blonde : A3 pu´s . Slightly hotter , brass saddles, maple neck. pine body
    CV ButterScotch : A5 pu´s , brass saddles , maple neck, pine body

CVC : A5 pu´s , threaded steel saddles , alder body , rosewood fretboard

Some of the pinebodied models are rather heavy. Some people think the neck is too thin , maple and RW necks are about the same profile.

I have a Sunburst CVC where the profile is identical to the two maple necks I have on CV models.
    I have a newer all-black CVC where the neck is quite a bit thicker than the other CVC. I like them all.

My preferred pu´s are the A3 Bridge and the A5 neck.The A5 neck pu is one of the best Tele neck pu´s I have used.

If you like the neck profile , and the pu´s , install a better switch , a 4 way if you like the series pos , and use an electrosocket jack cup. After that , these guitars need nothing else , IMO

5. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Are the A3s really hotter? I thought I read somewhere that they had less output than A5s

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Please dont get the idea that a3 is hotter or a5 hotter output
    That is simply not the case. People often mention the resistance of a pu as a way of seeing how hot it is like 6K 7.0 K etc.
    The number of turns of wire in the coil dictates the resistance , several other factors come into play , thickness of wire , strength and type of magnet etc determines the output...

7. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I played both and I'll put it to you this way - the A3s growl a bit quicker and fiercer than the A5s, and the A5s sparkle and twang a bit more than the A3s. Call it hotter or notter, or whatever you want. The A3s are a bit more rock and the A5s are a bit more twang.

8. DannyStereo

Got it! Thanks for clarifying.

9. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

All three CV's are excellent. You choose, and can't lose!!

10. DannyStereo

I agree. I'm really really impressed with my CV50s.

The pieces of the body are pretty evident; meaning you can see the seams through the butterscotch finish, whereas you cannot with my FSR. But who cares. I certainly don't.

11. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

Well said! Could'nt agree more! Ive got both and with a few mods my american standard hardly sees the light of day. Dont shoot!,

ForumRunner_20141020_214656.jpg

12. Adelbatross

Adelbatross Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the comments. Got myself the CV50s in butterscotch blonde. Really impressed so far, just what I was after. I was a little hesitant because I got a Squier J Masics Jazzmaster which I heard so many good things about and that was the worst piece of garbage I've ever owned. I thankfully managed to unload that heap. I can say that already the CV is better in several ways. Gonna keep it stock for a while then maybe upgrade some minor components but so far I'm loving this thing as is.

13. kyussvegas

The one key difference between Jazzmasters and Teles is that Teles play in a very specific ballpark and Jazzmasters are all over the place. Trying out Teles I always felt I was in the same zone and had to ask myself, do I want a warmer or brighter tone? Simple questions. I played a couple Jazzmasters in the same store, same amp. One was fantastic, the $300 VM! The other was lifeless to me. Very surprised.

I've found the same to be true listening to reviews online. Teles come down to a personal preference, whereas with Jazzmasters it's completely hit or miss. And I agree on the J Mascis JM - I'm a fan of his music but not of his signature guitar. Go figure.

14. El Cavano

El Cavano Tele-Meister

Love my BSB CV. The only thing I plan to change is the bridge pickup. Too much growl for my taste as the volume goes up. Wonderful tone, just not for my style.

15. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

Not true. Ceramic magnets have a stronger magnetic field.

16. Debonnaire

Debonnaire TDPRI Member

I know it's all subjective, but this thread is exactly the question on my mind right now.

I can probably only justify having one electric (three acoustics and five ukes, but that's another story.)

I have a 50s CV, but always really wanted the black CVC. I just couldn't justify the price difference vs new when I was offered a 50s CV with an amp for $200 CDN. Now i can get the black one for $279, but I'd need to get rid of the 50s.

I am really happy with the 50s, but have the GAS pains for the black one. Will they be more or less the same so far as play and sound?

Willing to consider any bad advice, hearsay, urban legends and slander.

17. DannyStereo

My understanding is that CVC has the rosewood board, so if that's more to your liking in terms of feel, go for it! I personally like maple boards better, but I learned on a Rosewood-board Ibanez strat, so I can go back and forth no problem.

Though the double-bound body on them CVCs is most classy...

18. kyussvegas

Debonnaire - tone-wise, it depends on which CV 50s you have.

If you have the Butterscotch Blonde the tone will be similar, and if you have the Vintage Blonde the tone will be different.

The CVC has a rosewood fretboard and the construction is obviously different, so those factors will/should play into your decision as well.

19. Debonnaire

Debonnaire TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply. Vintage blonde.

20. kyussvegas

Yeah I asked the same question in a store and that's the reply I got. Different guitar in almost every way. It's too bad because I loved how the CVC looked as well, but the build and pickups make the guitar sound quite different.

I'd give the CVC a look anyway though. You might like the fact that it's a little brighter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.