Classic vibe 50s Tele knob problem

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rick Rossi, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Rick Rossi

Rick Rossi TDPRI Member

Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before or if it’s in the worm place.

went to play my classic vibe Tele and the tone knob came off from the pot. How are you supposed to put it back on it doesn’t fit snuggly as when I place the knob back on the pot the knob will spin but the actually pot will not, as if the knob is too big.

there does seem to be some marks on top of the pot which looks as if glue was used however I’m hesitant to use glue in case it drops down and causes problems with the pot.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What sort of knob is it? Most Tele knobs I've seen have a screw on the side that, when tightened, presses up against the pot shaft.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Rick Rossi

Rick Rossi TDPRI Member

This doesn’t have a set screw, it just seems to just slide over the top of the pot

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

Is the pot solid or split shaft? If split shaft you can *carefully* spread out the shaft a bit to provide better grip on the knob. I'd just put a dab of super glue on it - unless you flood the thing with glue you aren't going to damage anything.

refin and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

As a quick fix, use a little masking tape on the pot shaft. Much safer than glue.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

You could also just get the more standard knobs with a set screw and then never worry about it again :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

A bit of teflon plumber's tape wrapped around the pot shaft should do the trick. Using glue will be a hassle in the future if the pot needs to be removed.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the pot shaft is the notched kind, tightening the set screw will cause the knob to go on crooked. I had this happen on my Jazzmaster with some witch hat knobs. They sell little brass sleeves that effectively turn the shaft into a smooth one. They work, but it's not perfect.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

As corliss1 said, if split shaft, carefully spread the two halves of the shaft....but be VERY CAREFUL. I have had one side of the shaft break off, and then you have no choice but to replace the pot. Not the end of the world, but definitely a hassle.

10. Rick Rossi

Rick Rossi TDPRI Member

Would I be right in saying that the black part should be fixed inside the knob and then slid onto the pot, there seems to be a split shaft under the black part

Attached Files:

11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

So does the black part turn the pot? If so, just get some glue onto the black part and slide the chrome part over it.

12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Your chrome cover has separated from the black plastic insert, which is a much better problem to have than when the insert spins on the pot shaft. Glue is your friend, just avoid getting it on the shaft end.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    jfgesquire and LutherBurger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.