Classic Series Telecaster 72 Custom - Where to find fit Specs?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BoGibsonCA, Nov 2, 2019.

1. BoGibsonCA

BoGibsonCA TDPRI Member

Hey there,

I'm looking to change the neck on a Classic Series 72 Custom - where can I find neck, tuner, nut measurements to ensure that anything I buy will fit??

Sorry for the basic question, but I'd been a Gibson guy for so long, now so in love with my American Elite, Squire Classic Vibe and the newish CS 72 Custom that I'm in a blissful state trying to mod this latest acquisition a bit.

Thanks for thoughts!

2. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Your options are limited by it being a 3-bolt (not 4-bolt) microtilt neck. Any Fender Tele Custom neck with that config should fit (except maybe MIJ ?), but I don't believe many other tele necks will fit (some Thinlines, or Deluxe with big headstock ?). Fender currently do a replacement 7.25" radius neck, but that's presumably what you already have.
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...yle-frets---maple-fingerboard/0997402921.html

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. BoGibsonCA

BoGibsonCA TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for the feedback. Does that also include most Warmoth necks as well? That would hurt.

4. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

AFAIK Warmoth don't do a neck with the recess drilled to take a microtilt plate. But you could have an undrilled neck (with that area clear of truss rod anchors etc) routed elsewhere for that plate. Other than that there are no perfect solutions to deal with the need for the microtilt plate on the neck (because the body machine screw needs to mate with it to attach the neck). You could ditch the microtilt and convert the body to 4-bolts with an undrilled neck (although the old microtilt grub screw hole would stick out below the 4-bolt neck plate) and filling of the top two body holes (those 2 holes are placed differently on 3-bolt vs 4-bolt). Or you could use the ProAttach ...
    http://www.wheeldiamond.com/proattach.htm

Unfortunately microtilt is a bad idea for setting up neck tilt if you need it, and 3-bolt microtilt is a PITA for neck-swap compatibility options.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    BoGibsonCA likes this.
  5. BoGibsonCA

BoGibsonCA TDPRI Member

Thanks so much. Certainly not the answer I wanted, but one I definitely needed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.