Classic Series '72 Tele Custom Replacement Bridge Pick-up?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Keivil, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Keivil

Keivil TDPRI Member

So, I have embraced my inner Keith Richards and I have been playing my 2008 MIM 72 Tele Custom a lot lately.
    I am mainly going for twang and clarity but, a little volume wouldn't hurt my feelings. What does hurt my feelings is that the stock bridge pick up is really thin by tele standards.
    What replacements might be a good sonic fit with the stock WRHB in the neck?

2. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

I would suggest a Rio Grande Muy Grande or a Lollar Special T.

3. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Cavilier Fat Lion. Robs a great guy. Quick to ship and reasonably priced. Put one in my AVRI 72

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Can't complain about Robs stuff, also like Seymour Duncan's STL1B broadcaster pup or Lollar special T.

5. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Bought one used with a Texas Special bridge and it was a great pairing. I pulled the screws out of the wide range to open it up a bit.

6. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

I got the same guitar and have a Don Mare 0038 10k keefer in the bridge and its never coming out. No love for the stock fender wide range. Yanked that pickup out long time ago. Went through a few upgrades in the wide range and in the end I just changed the pickguard for a standard size humbucker and its the best move I ever made. All of these choices on bridge pickups are great and a lot better than fenders stock on this model. Good luck.

7. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I like staggered-poles in these. I've used a '62-Custom and also the CS Texas Special. Prefer the '62. But that's me.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I would put a Fender OV in the bridge. Retains the twang but is very thick sounding. I've been using one in my '72 for 15 years and still love the sound of it.

9. chickenmonkey

chickenmonkey TDPRI Member

I am using a novack tel-hc, in the bridge with my vintage WRHB. Works great and is hum free since it's a side by side humbucker.

10. Keivil

Keivil TDPRI Member

I would give my eye teeth for an original Seth Lover designed! So far, the WRHB hasn't given me ear fatigue. That stock bridge pick up is way too thin for some things and still wanting in others.

11. Keivil

Keivil TDPRI Member

I am going to consider each suggestion on here! I'm using this axe more these days and it just needs a little sum-sum!

12. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I'll vote for the Fat Lion as well. It's a great pickup to pair with anything. Less twang, but still a great clean pickup that'll scream when pushed.

13. Michael M.

Michael M. TDPRI Member

In my '72 Custom have a TWIN Nashville/Fat Lion from Rob with a push pull pot as I couldn't make up my mind. Sounds good.

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for a Cavalier Fat Lion, love it in my Squier CV Thinline.

15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If your looking for the "Micawber" tone. Pickup Wizard makes a "Micawber" pickup. Rob's "Nocaster" pickup would probably get you closer also.

I have a Fat/Bakersfield Lion, nothing against the Fat Lion. But, It may be a little fat for the Keith thing. JMO

I've never dealt with the Pickup Wizard, but Rob's quality and service is top notch.

Keith's Micawber supposedly has an old lapsteel style pickup in it. A Broadcaster style around the 10k range would probably get you in the ballpark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.