Classic Series 60s Tele mods....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by riachuelo, Jan 21, 2020.

1. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Greetings. I have had a white AVRI '64 for some years now and really love the guitar. Plays and sounds great and does pretty much everything I wanted and expected it to. As a backup, and because I've always wanted a good black Telecaster, I am trying to find the best approximation I can within a reasonable budget. By reasonable, I mean for about $1000, including a few mods. Of course I realize I may not get ALL THE WAY there, but I was thinking of picking up one of the MIM 60s models from the Classic Series and swapping out the pickups for some more like those in the AVRI. Has anyone tried anything similar? I've read some good reviews of those guitars, but am curious what folks here think of them. Sadly, I don't live anywhere near a store where I could try one out, so I would be doing this with a bit of faith and hope for a good outcome. Thanks for any input.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Wait for a used slightly beat up '64 RI.
    Every 60s MIM Classic Tele I have owned has come up short of the 64 RI.

dannyh, Greggorios and riachuelo like this.
  3. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Yep, have been thinking about that, too. But even used, they cost about twice as much. Have read here and there that the Classic Series are undervalued in terms of the overall build, so I was hoping one of those might get close with better pickups. Tks.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They're great guitars. Stick a copper clad plate on the bridge pickup. Or get GFS vintage spec alnico, or secondhand OV bridge. The neck pickup on these is fine.

boris bubbanov and riachuelo like this.
  5. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Thanks, very helpful.

6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Bootstrap Palo Duro pickup set has been compared to the 64’s. YMMV. I haven’t done a direct comparison yet, but will at some point.

Recently found out (thanks to folks here) that the fender 64 set can now be found new for $85 or less.

You might like the Classic Series as is though. I’d probably lean towards the lacquer series, but that’s me. Too bad you can’t play any first tho. That’s really the only way to make sure you’re getting what you want (not a dog).

riachuelo likes this.
  7. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Thanks. Lacquer would be the 50s MIM Classic Series?

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I guess so. To be honest, I didn’t realize that there wasn’t a 60’s lacquer tele. You mentioned the 50’s, which looks awesome. There was a 60’s Strat, Jaguar (which I have, and love), a Jazzy, Jazz bass... criminal that they omitted the tele from the line.

Nitro matters to some, not to others. You had to pay a little extra for the lacquer series new, which means the used poly ones could probably be had even cheaper. Happy hunting!

riachuelo likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Good luck bagging a Classic series 60s these days. They are now out of production, and as rare as hens teeth, unless you are lucky to find one used.

riachuelo likes this.
  10. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Yeah, I haven’t seen many of them. But they do pop up from time to time. Thanks.

11. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

Thanks. Will have a look.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had the Stratocaster version of that guitar, and weirdly, it was the best workmanship I'd ever seen on a guitar that I really didn't like. It was the least favorite Stratocaster that I'd owned.

riachuelo likes this.
  13. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

If the workmanship was good, what was it about the guitar you didn’t like? Can’t tell if that is an endorsement or not. Thanks!

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

riachuelo likes this.
  15. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

My bad, didn't see that.

riachuelo likes this.
  16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked this up on Monday. Found it locally cheap - because it was only advertised as a Mexican Telecaster. It's a 2001 Classic 60s and it's like new apart from the changed pickguard. Have to say - the neck pickup on this sounds better than any I've had before, including two AVRI 52s.

Attached Files:

heffus, whoanelly15 and riachuelo like this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It was a beautiful guitar. I mean, absolutely stunning. But it played weird, I don't know if it was the neck or what, but I just didn't like how it felt. And I could not get a good tone out of the bridge pickup. The stock pickup was ice-picky; I installed a metal base plate which made no difference. I then tried two other pickups, one was overwound and got rid of the icepick sound, but sounded heavier in the mids and just didn't sound right to my ears. I then put a rail-type pickup in there and didn't like that either. I've had two MIA strats and two other MIM strats, all of which I liked better than the Classic 60's.

riachuelo likes this.
  18. riachuelo

riachuelo Tele-Meister

That’s a shame. I hope the same doesn’t hold true for many of the Teles.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  19. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

My Classic 60's has had a Duncan Broadcaster and for the last 6 years, a Fender 62 Custom Tele bridge pickup.

Both sound 100% better than the stock bridge pickup, although pretty different pickups when compared to each other.

I'll echo people who said the stock pickup is harsh and ice-picky. The neck pickup is fine as it is, although it will better match more scooped amps.

riachuelo and Mincer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.