1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic series 50s vs Vintera modified

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Gregorski, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Hi, I have an option of a classic series 50s which looks to be in good condition or a vintera modifed new. If I understand correctly the vintera has slightly more modern pickups which I’ll prefer but I hear good things about the classic series. I understand it’s a 7.25” radius neck which I don’t think will be a problem but not sure on the neck profile. Does anyone know ? Also any other differences I should be aware of other than pickups and wiring ?

2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

What are you using now? One of my favorite guitars ('62 Strat RI) has the 7.25" and the vintage frets, but I would be lying if I said there wasn't a little bit of learning curve to it. Some may (and probably will) argue with me, but unless you have a perfect setup or like high action, you can kiss most bends over 1-1.5 steps goodbye past the 12th fret. That said, chords feel pretty nice and it feels a little easier to fret the 6th string with my thumb if that's your kinda thing.

Also, a 50s neck is certainly chunky if you're not used to the U shape.

Is it the 50s or 60s Vintera and are they the same price? If so, I'd certainly go for the new one if all else is equal--which it's not.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gregorski, there's something to be very cautious about, with these MIM Classic 50s Esquires, Teles and Strats and also the MIM '69 Thinline.

They have the unhappy combination of small frets (which I love) but buried in a medium to heavy layer of poly neck and fretboard coating. Unless you plan to strip off the poly (and I haven't, so far) the life of the frets on these is fairly short and many of the "used" ones are too far along to be optimal for most players. In most other ways, they're great, but beware.

mimmo and RoscoeElegante like this.
  4. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Im using an acoustic right now. I had a squier telecaster 20+ years ago when I started playing but I stopped about 15 years ago. It had a reasonably chunky neck and 7.25 radius but beyond that I couldn’t say. I have reasonably large hands but more arthritic these days :) This is my Foray into relearning after picking up acoustic again. Electric is gonna be easier for sure. It is a 50s classic series.

useful to know, thanks. I’m not sure whether vintage frets will be my thing so good to know.

5. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

sorry, to be clear it’s the vintera 50s modified so I think similar to a Baja from what I’ve read

6. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

If that's the case, I'd certainly go for the Vintera. The 50's modified has a great pickup set in it, and like I said, I love my guitar with the 7.25" radius, but ultimately I find the 9.5" to be more comfortable.

srblue5 likes this.
  7. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input. I’ll also throw in the American Original 60s because it looks amazing. Not too concerned on price, more interested in getting the right thing for me.

nicknklv likes this.
  8. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I was in between the Original 60s and the Vintera 50s mod, tried both side by side, and went with the latter. I have not regretted the decision, it is a wonderful and versatile instrument. Worth every penny.

Gregorski likes this.
  9. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Useful info, thanks. Difficult right now buying without being able to try. I’d go for a used guitar but the reality is that in the Uk a used fender is almost the same price as a new one so I can’t see the point in taking the risk. I’ve been looking for a good deal for months and nothing so I think I’ll be buying new.

nicknklv likes this.
  10. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Huge difference in cost between the two

11. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Classic Series 50s neck on a partscaster. Fender calls the profile “Vintage C”. I didn’t think that’s a thing, but I love it. Thinking of using it in another build, and found out the price has gone up 50% sometime in the last 2 years.

12. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I understand fully. It's a similar story here in Sweden, so if you can hunt down a good deal from a retailer, new can really make sense!

Look into the specs, there are some differences between the two, in terms of the neck shape (V50Mod - Soft V, AO60 - C), pickups, fret size (Medium Jumbo on Vintera/ Vintage Tall on AO60), switching (S1 4-way on Vintera, 3-way on AO60) and the fretboard material, of course.

Honestly, it is hard to go wrong with either one of these, both wonderful instruments. Good luck! :)

Gregorski likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.