1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Series 50s vs 60s for bare-fingered blues/jazzy pursuits

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TN Blues, Mar 17, 2018.

1. TN Blues

TN Blues TDPRI Member

Howdy music lovers. I am trying to decide between these two Classic Series models. I have checked out the Bajas, and while they are fine, I just want to keep it simple; this is a big part of the tele's appeal to me. I play with just my fingers in a Travis picking/country blues style, with touches of ragtime, Gary Davis, John Hurt, and Lonnie Johnson thrown in. I have also started exploring jazz standards in the last year. I am aware of all of the specs, and can live with the variances, whether neck profile or fingerboard material. I am just looking for the most versatile stock model which would be well suited to my style.
    I would greatly appreciate input from current and past owners, and any players who share similar musical pursuits; which worked best for you, and why?
    I do not want to get into modding anything right away; I just want to start with the right tool for the job, and hope that I will find it satisfying and versatile as is.
    I appreciate and look forward to your comments.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

60's. Bit clearer sounding with the slimmer neck and staggered poles pickups.

Kreepy likes this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd say 60s too.

Kreepy likes this.
  4. Kreepy

Kreepy Tele-Meister

Classic 60s tele is a lot of guitar for the money.

5. chrisj1602

chrisj1602 Tele-Meister

I loved the Classic 60s I used to have and would definitely buy another, great guitars.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I think you would do just fine with both, and that variance will be minimal so my main suggestion is: go play a few and choose the one you connect with.

When I compared my 60s Baja to the AVRI52 I had the impression that the 60s was a bit more transparent sounding, in a good way for jazz. But those are different models with different PUs…

BTW: if you find a Baja used, check it out carefully. The extra wiring can be removed. What makes Bajas great is the quality of the pickups and of the necks.

EDIT: I am referring to both Baja 50s and Baja 60s. For jazz, I actually prefer the choice of pickups on the Baja 60s: American Vintage 52 in the neck, American Vintage 58 in the bridge. One of the best combos around.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Play a few. Love my Classic 50s. Very nice neck, probably my easiest playing guitar.

8. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

In the time-honored TDPRI tradition of not answering the question you actually asked, I'm going to suggest that you try & find a MIM '69 Thinline to try out. Mine's ten years old or so & has the best-feeling neck of any tele I've ever played, a nice fat U-shape. Bill Frisell was playing one of these for a while, maybe still is. Mine was a good-sounding guitar stock, made even better with Lollars in it now.

9. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I think you would do well with either. If it was me,I’d lean towards the Classic 60’s. It may be a mental thing, but the 60’s rosewood fingerboard says jazz to me.

Synapse2k likes this.
  10. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

I think both would work just fine for your purposes. I personally love the 60s. It all comes down to personal preference Ie the things that you said you don’t consider as important

11. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I'd say the Classic 50's because the of the neck and the smaller frets ( unless the Classic 60's has the small frets too) work well with the fingers.

Best of luck

Gary

12. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

It does have the same small frets.

I'd go with a Baja, though ;)

13. TN Blues

TN Blues TDPRI Member

Well, I must admit that sonic blue 60s baja looks sexier as far as color options go. But I haven't seen one in person, so hard to be sure for certain.

14. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

They would both work, so I'd go with the one you like better. Whether it's a color, or the neck that fits your hand better or for whatever reason one appeals to you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.