1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Series '50s or '60s Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by schroder3000, May 8, 2010.

1. p90teleman

p90teleman Tele-Meister

yeah, I'm aware of that

just wondering if the did something 'wrong'...? for example: is there a 50's tele with such string tree position? I noticed most 'cheaper' 50s style guitars (my CV included) use that layout

btw, I have an eye on one particular white 60's classic the local store just got ;)

2. tubescent

tubescent Tele-Meister

i recently got hold of both so that i could try both out at home at my leisure. the 60s neck to me is the business - just fat enough to feel substantial but not so much that you become aware of how fat the neck is if you get what i mean. i also found the bridge pup on the 50s too icepicky for me but got good sounds out of it but tweaking with the tone knob.
    the slightly thinner neck and smoother pups won the day for me.

3. p90teleman

p90teleman Tele-Meister

is Classic 60's supposed to have flat or dome knobs?

flat, I suppose...but the one I've tried @ local dealer's seemed to have dome knobs. is it possible or is it just my memory deceiving me?

IIRC they at least felt different/smaller vs the C50's and the volume knob cut off volume(duh) kind of abruptly - just a reality check (fishing for possible haggling material - just in case) ;)

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

They do have flat knobs and like many Fenders the vol will cut off abruptly.

5. Mark Davis

[​IMG]

Thats the 60's Classic I owned all I changed were the strings.

6. p90teleman

p90teleman Tele-Meister

I'm aware of that :) You should try my Strat. :lol:

It did seem a little weirder than usual. As did the size of the knob - which as you tell me should be flat and most likely the same size as on the 50s model.

sounded damn nice, though. too bad the setup (or lack of it) made it next to unplayable.

mind you, it was a busy day in the store and I tried to A/B/C the Classic 50s, 60s and CV50s (I've got one already) as fast as possible. if I decide to pull the trigger that scenario might happen again and some homework can't hurt.
    (btw, guess which one rang and played like the proverbial butter ;) )

7. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

I've owned a '60s and played a few '50s Classics.

I think both guitars are excellent for the money. I prefered the pickups on the '60s and the neck on the '50s.

With the mods the OP mentioned in the initial post - I would go for the '50s.

If you want a 'modding platform' with a very under-rated neck, I'd go for a latest generation, MIM Std. The neck on mine is flamed all along the back, just chunky enough to feel comfortable in the palm, and the 9.5" radius gives a faster more 'bend-friendly' feel. Vintage bridge is a 10 minute job to fit, and the new logo is discreet and classy.

JMO. :)

8. tubescent

tubescent Tele-Meister

everything i didn't like about the 50s pups was sorted on the 60s tele - that's the one i recon you'll like from your initial post.

9. slideman

slideman TDPRI Member

I love the 50's Classic...comments regarding the neck size and great neck pickup are spot on.

Some changes I've made that made a "good" instrument "great": compensated brass sadles, SD antiquity bridge, and Stew Mac vintage locking tuners..and added a paisly pickguard for some aesthetic mojo. :cool:

10. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+1

There's no problem making the 50's into a great instrument, but the 60's really doesn't need any mods at all - except maybe for a clean white pickguard (that is if you don't like the mint one).

11. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

Is the 2010 MIM 50s Tele neck still as you describe it, or it changed in some way re. 2005 etc.? (as said here, for example)

I mean, slightly V at the first frets, chunky but not huge, etc.

12. Telemarkman

There are individual differences like always, I guess.

I've seen some of the guys discribing it as a "U" neck, but mine definitely wasn't that - lacked the shoulders as well as depth.

13. oxfordian

oxfordian Tele-Meister

I have the 60's and would agree that it is a very nice guitar. Sounds excellent stock, and I'd be very surprised if a pickup swap made it sound "better" - although of course it would sound different. My other Tele is a Baja, and I agree with whoever said that it would be a better bet than a 50's. Again, no need to swap the pickups on this one! It's a lot louder than the 60's, but to my mind a bit less three dimensional in tone.

Given the variations between models, not to say examples, I'd always urge keeping as open a mind as possible and trying out as many Teles as possible. Save some money and buy one that you like the sound of as it comes!

14. BillyC

BillyC Tele-Meister

I've got a sunburst 2000 50's classic with a swamp ash body thats light as a feather.I changed the cheap pickguard first thing because it was warped,got rid of the round string tree and put two trees on(personal preference).The neck is like a baseball bat.

I was going to change the pickups,but my tech said they were alnico 3 magnets and had to be adjusted much closer to the strings then alnico 5.So,a few minutes with a screwdriver and they sound great,since then I've done nothing but play it.

15. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

What's it's weight please?

16. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like the neck on my 50's, and don't care much for the neck on my 60's. The 50's bridge was pretty ice-picky and I was planning to put in a different pup, but I put some brass saddles on first and it really mellowed out so I left the pickup as is.

17. Telemarkman

The 50's Classic is discribed by Fender as having an "Ash" body, which means "ordinary" or "northern" ash (as opposed to "Premium Ash" (southern ash, swamp ash)) Fenders specs make no distinction between the body wood of a sunburst or other finishes.

Have you changed out the body? ;)

Even a northern ash body may be light, while a southern ash body may be heavy, though the opposite is more common (my 50's Classic was 8,6 lbs).

18. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

The one I just assembled using a MIM 50s body is 6.75 lbs
    The body weighted 4 lb 1 oz includding strap buttons and ferrules

I'm curious about other's "light" MIM 50s weight

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  19. Mark Davis

MY 1st 50's Classic was 6.5 lbs and my 2nd one was 7 lbs 10 oz.

MY 60's Classic was 7.5 lbs.

20. ford

ford Tele-Meister

people seem to leave the 60s stock more often than the 50s

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.