Classic Series 50s Finish pealing off

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by revelation2012, Oct 19, 2019.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

Any issues with lightly knocking back the existing sealer with some fine grain sand paper? Id like to at least get rid of the unsightly brush strokes on the wood from the sealer..

2. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

I've seen this on a few examples. Entire finish coming off in a couple giant pieces like a mold!
    Maybe they are doing those in one coat or did read somewhere actual dipping them?!

I've done my share of poly on wood for various projects and can't understand the the lack of adhesion! Perhaps some silicone contamination of the wood in shop. IF you try another finish really clean that sucker up! Silicone is almost impossible to remove 100%.

I wonder why Fender doesn't do a thin skin poly? I've used the rub on poly lots of times and you could get a great thin skin in a couple days. Thin poly is just like nitro

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Well, it seems to have all come off very cleanly. What do you suppose is left, bare wood or some or other undercoat. If it doesn’t feel bad when you play it, why do anything to it? You run the risk of whatever you use not working out and then you’ll be deciding what to do all over again!

4. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

i will throw my vote in with those who are in favor of simply buying a new body. i was curious about ripping all the finish off of one of my american standard tele bodies last year. it cost around $90 in materials from home depot. it's a fine way to lose a day or two and keep yourself occupied, but the end result is not worth it. and the entire process leaves an awful mess, naturally.

5. revelation2012

Got the remaining 5% of the finish off. That mush much tougher than the last 95%. Light sand on the sealer to remove the brush marks. I'm calling it good now.

Now i think a 1 ply cream guard might make it sound better.

AAT65 likes this.
  6. revelation2012

The orginal finish was almost separated from the body and coming off in large chunks. I just removed it all. It was just like a shell mostly detached in large areas from the body. This is better. Is resonates more and sounds more open. It also removed about 5 oz of the weight!

Im happy for now...

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You either got the rare time-release self-relicing option ... Or a factory defect ... Play it and enjoy it ... No warranty ... Yer gonna only take a hit if you sell ...

8. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a natural finish MiM ash tele, some kind of "Special Edition." The wood grain on yours looks better than the wood on mine.

revelation2012 likes this.
  9. revelation2012

No i won't sell it for now. It plays pretty good. Probably a factory defect on the finish.

The thing had been played pretty regularly by a girl i bought it from. Got a good deal i think with a case probably because of the condition of the finish. Inspite of loving white blonde late 50s telecaster look, i wasn't going to leave that flaking finish alone. I mean it was separating from the body. So here we are....

10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

That's a nice body with even woodgrain.I love butterscotch blonde Teles so if it were mine I'd have it re-finished.But if you leave it unfinished it would look a bit like Keith Richards Malcolm Tele if you put on a black pickguard:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you except......

I am afraid there would be too few reasons to buy the USA models.

revelation2012 and DanDII like this.
  12. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

^ Absolutely.

If the MIM models used the same paint process as the '12 and up AM Standards I'd be a MIM buyer.

13. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I have a MIM Classic 50s Esquire and the finish started doing the same thing, peeled off in shards of thick black plastic. It was a bit heavy anyway, so I got a cheap pine body, used blue milk paint and wax to finish it, and moved the hardware and neck over. I like it much better now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    DanDII likes this.
  14. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Nope, no issues with that at all. It’s way hard to break through that sealer with sanding unless you’re super aggressive, which risks changing the profile or making divots.

I see you’ve already done this. Good job. Now enjoy it!

15. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

WOW! That grain looks awesome. I'd just pick at the leftover paint once in a while. It'll be gone in a couple of years. Otherwise leave it alone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.