Classic Series 50s Finish pealing off

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by revelation2012, Oct 19, 2019.

1. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I bought a used Classic Series 50s Tele off Craigslist a while back. The guitar played and sounded great. It looked like it had been played and gigged extensively. It had chips in the white blonde finish when I bought it. However now the finish separating from the body is coming off in sheets. Anyone have this happen this their MIM Classic Series 50s tele. At some of the play wear areas, it almost looks as if it had a clear coat over the natural finish and then finished with White blonde over the natural clear coat. This one is from 2003.

I am inclined to just take the finish off. It just seems to separate off the body in large seets. So what causes this? I don't know if it is a placebo effect, but the more finish that comes off, the more open and resonant the guitar sounds. Anyway, its coming off so much I may just strip it and do a truoil finish on the body. But I must say, that white blonde is my all time favorite color.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rich, I would just play it as it is. Maybe you could use some white glue and try to bond the Poly finish back to the substrate. This seems to be fairly common on MIM Fender guitars, most especially IMO over ash bodies. There's something of a shortcoming, in using polyester finishes this thick over this kind of base or substrate. I don't know if the fault is chemical, or mechanical, or both.

Not more than 90% comes off easy. That last bit of finish will resist removal. And the wood underneath is so seldom really sexy looking - so the same guy who tried to strip it, reapplies a solid color or at least a heavily toned finish. Some guys buy a replacement body from Allparts, "park" the stock body and spend less time putting a nice finish on the Allparts body by far than removal and replacement of the finish of the MIM body takes.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. revelation2012

Yea, I'm not sweating the issue at all. The finish does not seem to be attached to the body at all on most places. The guitar sounds and plays fine. In fact it sounds great IMO and better with more finish off of it. Just some of the large flakes snag sometimes and, oops there goes another sheet. The entire back of the guitar is almost bare wood now (sans what ever they prepped it with under the poly). I may at some point just remove the remaining finish, sand and prep and put coats of truoil on it. Right now I'll just leave it as is and play it. She's beginning to look like a well used whore, but she does her job well ;)

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Not on a MIM Fender but I have seen it. First Act CE140/Lola. Not that First Act gets a lot of love but the CE's were pretty nice and the Lola's quite desirable in some circles and more so in the trans blue finish. Won it on the Goodwill auction site for dirt cheap thinking I could flip it for a few bucks. Boy was I wrong. Poor thing had a failed factory refinish on it that came off in sheets. Actually went so far as to repaint the headstock and place a new FA logo over its original, damndest thing I ever seen. Talk about a QC fail. Thing was a mess so decided to bite the bullet and just mod job the hell out of it and keep it. Lose my ass on it if I ever tried to sell it. Sounds like you might have something similar going on here. First attempt failed then tried to salvage it by refinishing only to have it fail again.

5. revelation2012

It's like trying not pick the dead skin off in sheets after a sunburn. What should i do to it now? Tru oil, natural, painted refinish?

Attached Files:

bo, rze99, Telecaster88 and 2 others like this.
  6. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

I'd let it be. The primer/ sealer will hold up regardless.

This has been my personal peeve with MIM Fenders.

I've had several. Purple Cray, white Jimmy Vaughan, Nashville Tele, etc...

All had way too thick poly. There's no need for the finish to be that thick.

The necks on all were awesome. It's the body finish that has let these models down for years.

Fender needs to update the outdated painting facility in Ensenada...

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. Kezzell

Kezzell TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

If you get the rest of it off, it looks good in natural ash.

8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I would leave it exactly as it is: it looks good, and the few remaining spots of the white finish give it some character. As if a 50’s tele has naturally mutated into a 70’s.

I remember having the same issue on a MIM 50’s white ash in the early 2000´s: during an outside gig I knocked the upper bout of the guitar and a chunk of finish went off. Then it started to peal off from there in a very unnatural looking way, because the periphery of the bare spot had small indentations like a bite.
    I sold the guitar a couple of years after that. It was my first tele.

9. revelation2012

That's what this is, a 50s Classic series. I'll probably take it apart at some point soon and clean up the remaining paint. I'll probably just leave it natural. Can't decide on a few coats of tru oil or not... Maybe a black Bakelite pickguard.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like it natural too

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Had the same thing happen to a 2008 USA made 52AVRI Tele. Chips would fall off that guitar in chunks. Would come off pretty easily.

revelation2012 likes this.
  12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Pick the rest off, go natural. Spend a while considering if you want to overspray it with nitro. The sealer will form a decent undercoat.

DanDII and revelation2012 like this.
  13. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That sounds good to me! A few coats of tru oil and the black bakelite pickguard.

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard of this happening to the classic series before. I think there is a thread about it on here somewhere. I think it's a bonus and hopefully all of that thick poly finish falls off so you can easily refinish in a thin nitro or dupli-color custom color of choice.:)

15. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Tru oil won’t penetrate that sealer that’s under the peeling poly. I wouldn’t even attempt it.

just peel the failing finish and leave it. Trying to go to raw wood will be famously difficult (I’ve done it, will never do it again) and not worth the effort.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks great. Clean it up entirely and go natural. I have a natural stripped roadworn and it’s one of my favourites.

17. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yeah man. I echo going with the natural look. Looks great imo.

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Take finish off. Rattle can of Reranch blonde or similar. You now have a virtual custom jobbie.

19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

It is perfect the way it is, enjoy!

20. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

The grain on the body is fantastic. :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.