1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Tobach!, Jul 13, 2010.

1. crowden

crowden Tele-Holic

Humble Pie - "I Don't Need No Doctor " or "Stone Cold Fever"

Bob Dylan - "Highway 61 Revisited"

Deep Purple - "Hush" or "Lazy"

Jimi Hendrix - "Crosstown Traffic"

Loving Spoonful - "Summer In The City"

Steelers Wheel - "Stuck In The Middle With You"

Steely Dan - "My Old School"

The Hollies - "Long Cool Woman"

Van Morrison - "Tupelo Honey"

The Young Rascals - "Good Lovin'" or "Lonely Too Long"

The Beatles - "Paperback Writer"

(by many) - "Summertime Blues"

2. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

no offense vulture and tooncaster, but although those tunes are all great they're not the big hits that a gigging cover band needs to play.
    I can't say i'm thrilled to play american girl and sweet home alabama at almost every gig, but again, you wanna gig, give the people what they want.

Link Wray?

3. Telebubba

Telebubba Tele-Meister

I think that will vary with your audience and geographic location. In my experience, for most audiences in the Midwest yeah, you wanna play the hits. For a lot of audiences here in Portland, especially if they are under 40, people will roll their eyes at this material. But if you play a mix of clever B sides, they will eat it up. I don't think there is one specific formula, myself.

4. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

FREEBIRD!!!!

There's always someone in the crowd...;)

5. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Chess era blues played harder and faster, in case you need to placate some bikers. "Will the Wolf Survive?" and "Baba O' Riley" will offend few and thrill niche markets. "Afterglow" by Small Faces in case of Brits."Werewolves of London". . . "Babcaygeon" by the Hip. Anything by the Hip.
    "In the Street" by Big Star. Everyone knows it from That 70's Show and it stands up. "No Matter What " from Badfinger.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

LOL we played a gig with 4 45 minute sets, and for the final set we played fun songs that the audience didn't really appreciate - including "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden, Shout at the Devil, etc. You have to have some fun!

7. LTBanger48

LTBanger48 TDPRI Member

Now from my personal experience being a "cover band" you mainly play in bars/clubs and maybe an outdoor festival or two... not usually playing for thousands of people. So... you need to play some tunes that are going to attract 10-15 good looking women and everyone else will follow. Start out with some upbeat tunes but not your best tunes... maybe some "Rocky Mountain Way" or a couple ZZ Top jams. Then maybe a Doobie Brothers medley, like "China Grove/Listen to the Music/Long Train Runnin" and definitely in that order too. Then slow it down a bit with "Wonderful Tonight" or some "Faithfully" by Journey... the ladies love a nice love song from time to time. "Sultans of Swing" is a must! And like others have said, there's always going to be someone that screams for "FREEBIRD", and if you're not quite there yet "Sweet Home Alabama" will do... it's probably the most cliche song a cover band can do... but people want to hear it. If you're going to do Zeppelin... make sure you nail it! One thing I've learned... make sure your first and last song of a set are real rockers... like "Sweet Child O'Mine" or "Crazy Train" you gotta get the crowds attention at the begging of the set and keep 'em wanting more at the end of the set. For those filler songs... it's really just trial and error... you'll know by the energy of the crowd if it's a good one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.