1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Classic Rock is being disgraced...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, May 11, 2011.

1. slowlearner78

slowlearner78 Tele-Meister

I'm the exact opposite. I've been playing (and I use the term in the loosest possible sense) for a relatively long time. I generally find guitar solos to be boring and tired, and they are usually my least favorite part of any song. (ducks for cover)

That said, I absolutely despise edited anything; songs, books, movies, whatever.

Play it the way the artist intended or don't play it all.

2. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

It's not just radio It's all of society. This year the GRAMMY board eliminated Rock Instrumental, Pop Instrumental, and Country Instrumental categories.
    I guess if something doesn't have someone singing over everything it's not considered music any more.

3. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Meh, I got the CD. I can hear it anytime I want.:p

4. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

...you mean to tell me people still listen to radio?

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I was tortured w/ Classic Rock Radio every day for 6 years at a job.

Such a bad station that every other day at 3:00 they'd play Riders On The Storm.

Same 100 songs on rotation and the commercials !

Haven't listened to radio in 14 years because of it...

6. Jimo

Jimo Tele-Afflicted

They are down to about 20 songs regurgitated over and over....uuuuughghghhhh

7. Earguy

Earguy Tele-Meister

David Byrne (Talking Heads): "Lyrics are a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they otherwise would." (approximate quote)

Instrumental breaks and extended intros make program directors fear that you'll change the channel. Can't sing along if there's no singing.

Listen to today's music, even rock. Intros are rarely longer than 10-15 seconds. Guitar solos, once required in most rock songs, are disappearing.

8. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

"Just because it's old doesn't make it classic. What sucked then still sucks."

...Matt Farrell, Live Free or Die Hard.

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

To me, classic rock is disgraced every time I hear a radio station play Slow Ride. :lol:

Jim

10. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Amen brutha

11. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

The local station here did the same thing to the rests at the beginning of Journey's "Anytime." :rolleyes:

12. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Since I despise that song and never want to hear it again, I don't care. However, as an RnR fan in general, it's frustrating.

The worst I've ever heard was "Sultans of Swing". The cool repeating licks at the end ALWAYS get cut off on the local dung heap, but once in a while, they start their radio babble as soon as the final words of the last chorus are done.

However, they play the ENTIRE silent/ windy intro to Dio's "(I forget the name, but it's a big hit and has a dumb intro)". The local dung heap always plays it without babbling. I'll never understand...

The radio is beyond flawed, that's why I try to stick to CDs and cassettes (my car is from 1993...) as much as possible

13. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Stop listening to radio. It has been and always been annoying to me from the 60's for that reason and not that reason alone. Find an alternative and they will go away or change. Mp3, ipod, XM, there are options.

14. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Some good Tele content in that video. Is it me or does the Strat player look a bit lost just before the sax player takes his last solo?

And is that Strat white or shoreliine gold?

15. Rombel

Rombel Tele-Afflicted

Radio is for Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me and Car Talk.
    Otherwise, it's the iPod.
    And even then, I download episodes onto the iPod.

Meh!

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, 'classic rock radio' is pretty much the reason I don't listen to music radio any more. It's been frozen in time for about 35 years, and I was pretty much over it after the first 5. Move along, there's nothing to hear here...

17. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

+1 on " . . . wear a cup."

18. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Radio is pretty darn bad these days; that's fer sure...

On a comparative basis, daytime, with my favorite DJ; Kitty Kinnin on Raliegh, NC's 100.7 ain't so bad. She's a sweetie... :lol:

Is anyone here familiar with the HD Radio channels? Is there any better programming to be had there?

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a bona fide radio junkie, especially AM talk-radio (provided it isn't liberal politics or sports. Can't handle either of those), but the FM radio where I live is pretty sad. Where we live, which is very mountainous and a little remote, we can only pull in four or five reliable stations. Of those one is a good hard rock station where the DJ's pick their own playlists. My wife hates it! She listens to a station that plays Top 40 and I swear every song is the same woman singing under assumed names. Two others are Top 40 Country which is just as bad and maybe even worse. Pass me the Black and Decker so I can drill out my ear drums!

The station we listen to by default is a Classic Rock format. It's default because it provides actual news and weather at the bottom of the hour, and since we no longer have TV it's our only decent source for local information. But the playlist... Yuck! The rotation is so predictable you can almost set your watch by which songs will play when.

The worst part, the owner/manager is a guy I graduated high school with. He's actually playing the music I grew up with, but he's playing it to death!

Justin

20. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

They always cut the solo off "Goodbye Stranger"...the only good part of the song. I've given up on "classic rock" a long time ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.