Classic rock -- anyone else here hate it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EZMFE, Jul 29, 2021.

1. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

It had its run and should be over. Might not happen for another ten years when boomers die.

2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

A rough paraphrase of a popular saying in business and political circles is "Imagine a cabal of your enemies infiltrated your favorite entity and you won't be far from wrong in explaining their evolving practices".

It takes an incredibly well articulated "mission" for an entity to stay on track, and the "suits" involved with radio seem hell-bent on killing it.

3. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There was an explosion of creativity that dominated radio and album sales during the 60's and 70's. In my opinion the industry hurt itself by trying to control and cheapen the product. It wasn't a lack of great musicians. It became more about hair gel and goofy videos than music. That's why that period of music still dominates to this day, and unfortunately its a limited number of iconic tunes from the period that get played to death. However I feel that is turning around. Mainstream music still basically blows but there are a lot of great bands breaking through over mediums like Youtube. I do regular searches for new music on an assortment of genres and find people out there killing it!

4. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I use TuneIn, an internet channel that has hundreds of sources, both with commercials and without like NPR.
    Lately I've favored one called Folk Alley which has folk/americana/acoustic.
    Back in the day I was friends with a couple of guys who were classical DJs. They bemoaned playing the same fifty cuts in rotation, just like with RR.

King

5. Blackmore Fan

Those same 50 way-overplayed songs just slide right on over to the "Oldies" formatted radio station. The cycle won't end until the industry either kills itself (which is the path they're on) or enough people vote with their wallet to seek their entertainment elsewhere.

I once thought Sirius satelite radio might be the successor (and for me it is...for now) but they're falling into some of the same traps. Tom Petty didn't need its own dedicated channel--come on man, I appreciate playing some of the deep(er) tracks but I don't want to stay there for an hour or more without another artist's cuts interspliced.

decibel likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Too late. @Brad Pittiful already set me straight. I’m gonna give them a shot, not the commercial jingle but some deeper cuts. I’m not a closed book.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Wrong thread

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

More than anything else, I'm well beyond burned out on Led Zeppelin.

I still like the classics, I'm just rarely in the mood to hear it.

I like SiriusXM because I can usually find something I'm in the mood to listen to. I especially like Deep Tracks, but it can be hit or miss also.

When you're burned out on 'classic rock' there always something else to listen to. I flipped over to the 70s station today to catch most of That's the Way of the World, and without shame I cranked it up and smiled.

SuprHtr, DougM and cyclopean like this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

If you're listening anywhere on the platform, you've paid Sirius their monthly fee and they have no incentive to keep you on the same channel for hours on end. Their revenue is the same no matter what because they don't have advertisers to please. The Tom Petty channel's not forever, and the die-hard fans get a treat.

DougM likes this.
  10. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Afflicted

Well, I sure hope in ten years I'll still be around;)

Telekarster, DougM and decibel like this.
  11. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Steve Miller was good. Before he sang about magic and groping people.

all jokes aside. I agree with the above. Hate the term classic rock. But agree with the overkill of select songs. Use my own music library and downloads for that reason. Gotta be hard up to turn on the radio and listen to the same 20 songs repeating on shuffle

Greggorios, Telekarster and DougM like this.
  12. Blackmore Fan

I had Led Zeppelin posters on two of my college dorm room walls. I had all of their albums on cassette. And I will change the channel now at the opening notes of "Black Dog" or "Rock & Roll" or "Kashmir".

I loved what they did, but I'd rather spontaneously hear a track off of Robert Plant's first two solo albums rather than go down the Led Zeppelin hole for the 1000th time.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I don't hate it, either, but I'm WAY over it being the end all and be all. There's LOTS of good new music of all genres available .

EZMFE and DougM like this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

I don’t listen to radio for the reasons stated. The thing I like is to have Alexa play anything I want. Cheaper than CD and always evolving.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Holic

I'd rather hear all those songs you listed on a constant loop for the rest of my life than listen to the current crap. Also; downplaying "Sharp Dressed Man" a day after Dusty Hill died? Nice...

17. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh yeah, I had Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III all on vinyl. I gave them away, like a lot of other idiots, back in the 90s sometime along with the rest of my vinyl.

Whole Lotta Love is the one I can't stand, and Black Dog is another one.

DougM likes this.
  18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Come on over to the dark side on XM where they play a lot more than those hundred songs. The water is much better over heah on pay radio.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Friend of Leo's

At the risk of offending anyone I won’t name names, but I don’t really get the adulation for some of the more mediocre players of the genre.

I'll add this though: even though I've heard the tunes thousands of times, it's hard to turn off Zeppelin when I hear Bonham doing his thing. Guy could swing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    drlucky and Blackmore Fan like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't hate it but I can't stand hearing it!

I'm older though, for whatever that's worth, and put classic Rock as before Sharp Dressed Man, partly because after the Classic Rock era ended and Disco etc took over circa 1979, I dropped out of Pop Culture and didn't watch, own, or allow TV in my home, listen to radio, go to a movie, or participate in any of the polyester clad revelry.

Ash Telecaster, Greggorios and DougM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.